How should this be handled?

In summary, talking about children is probably not the best idea on Yappi. I wish every Yappi members children the best in life. I won't bring offspring into the conversation.
Yea good point. I'm done. I'll just close by stating that when our society got away from swats at home and in school and other disciplinary actions is when a lot of these unruly children problems started getting out of control. You cannot reason with a an unruly child you have to set boundaries and make them accountable for their deeds. You have to teach them that actions do indeed have consequences.

Last edited:
Here is my take:

* The school failed the kid by letting him walk away.
* I think the officers hearts were in the right place but their methods were very poor. Looked like something from scared straight.
* I think the kid is a lost cause without significant intervention. He will suffer because of parental neglect.
* The Mother is the villain. She created the environment where this kid turned out this way. She has scarred him for life and only significant intervention will save this kid from his current path. Her lawsuit is a slap in the face to the community. Do the minimum job as a Mother and this does not happen.

5 year olds being yelled at by police. Are you serious? Boy, are your kids going to be screwed up.

the two minute video i saw the officer wasn't even really yelling. I guess in your world when someone misgenders you, that is labeled a violent act, a 5 year old being scolded by a police officer is probably akin to being shot in the face.

i have a 20 year old and an 18 year old set of daughters that are both gainfully employed, in school, in meaningful relationships, not on the crack pipe, and no babies. I think we did just fine. (we won't discuss the boy!!,, jk little guy, you know i love you!)

* I think the kid is a lost cause without significant intervention. He will suffer because of parental neglect.
* The Mother is the villain. She created the environment where this kid turned out this way. She has scarred him for life and only significant intervention will save this kid from his current path. Her lawsuit is a slap in the face to the community. Do the minimum job as a Mother and this does not happen.

Why would anyone make this assumption? Despite even the best parenting efforts, kids are still going to act out. I don't know if she has a legal ground to stand on with her lawsuit, but there is a middle ground where she both disciplines her child and stands up for her child against the way he was treated.

Here is my take:

* I think the officers hearts were in the right place but their methods were very poor. Looked like something from scared straight.
I may have missed something after reading the article but where is there any description of what "the Mother" did to scare the child for life? Exactly, what did she do?

I'm

I made those two comments because I'm stating this kid most likely knows know limits because he's never held accountable for his actions. Again you're another one making excuses. In your anecdote I'd like to see at home if your other parents actually do treat their children and teach them like you've obviously done.

Huh?

My wife and I have friends with similar viewpoints but in reality, they didn't carry through with the discipline and teaching necessary. I will admit there are some kids who are out of control but for the most part it's because the parents don't make the effort to teach them the proper way to act. The one's who have serious socialization issues are few, but since we have the new way of rasing kids they've become the many.

Either the Police were called because he roamed away or they found him roaming the street by himself outside the school
Mostly I would be happy that the police found him. A 5 year old out on the streets by himself in this day and age. There are far worse out comes then being yelled at by the police. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent him from doing it again.

Either the Police were called because he roamed away or they found him roaming the street by himself outside the school, so they were telling he needed to go back into the school. This kid began throwing a temper tantrum when he was told to sit down. This is most likely becaue the parent does not hold him accountable. You are just another one making excuses for bad behavior by children. Children will make mistakes and some are mischievous and will get in trouble for bad behavior, but actions like this are because the mother of that child obviously lets him get away with it. When parenting and schools stopped holding children accountable for their misdeeds is when all these problems starting maginifying themselves. Like I said I don't think the police officer did anything wrong. I'd like to see the video of what happened before the part that is shown. I would make a wager that the kid was smarting off to the police officer prior to what we're seeing in the video.
I am not one to make excuses for bad behavior, but I have an understanding of what causes behaviors in children and how to address these behaviors appropriately. As I have said previously, this child is five years old and developmentally they are unable to process the magnitude of many of their behaviors. They will escalate minor things into major incidents by taking drastic actions such as this, and would be considered irrational in their behavioral choices. This is why they have meltdowns, temper tantrums, overreactions etc. So given this situation, the child is clearly acting out in an attempt to gain attention, most likely from some adult figure in an absence of his parents attention. The police officer should not approach an irrational five year old and expect to scare them back into respecting their requests. The officer has engaged in a power struggle with the implied rational thinking that the child will and should respect the officer because of their title. This is a rational approach, but towards an irrational five year old.

You can still hold the child accountable by de-escalating, returning the student to school and enforcing whatever consequence you see fit. The yelling, threatening and other crap is not this officer's job, responsibility nor should it be conducted as a professional. The difficult aspect of accountability is that everyone wants to see it take place and know how it was conducted etc. However, if the authoritative person is a respectable professional, you will not know how someone else is held accountable since it is not your business. I think some people probably agree with your perspective that you would have handled that if it was your child, but it's not. If you think threatening to beat a five year old somehow gives you authoritative power that is really sad because the reality is this officer lost their power by resorting to screaming at a five year old.

Here is my take:

This is mostly on point. The school should have not allowed this behavior to escalate to a zero-sum ending, and in the event the child walked away from school, you don't let a five year old go without being there. The officers were undoubtedly frustrated by this situation and the probably the insane level of stress the experience every day, and let their frustration get the best of them here.

The mom is likely the main culprit here and I am sure there is a laundry list of issues this child has demonstrated prior to this that would support this idea. However, because the officers acted in such a poor manner, the mother is now able to play the victim card and will likely win this lawsuit. Her lawsuit is deplorable in my opinion, but it is warranted because in no way did those officers conduct themselves appropriately or likely within the policies and protocols of their jobs.

The good news is that since the kid is five, or maybe now six, there is ample time for behavioral intervention to help correct these behaviors and develop appropriate coping skills to prevent future issues.

Why would anyone make this assumption? Despite even the best parenting efforts, kids are still going to act out. I don't know if she has a legal ground to stand on with her lawsuit, but there is a middle ground where she both disciplines her child and stands up for her child against the way he was treated.
I would say based upon the fact the child walked away from the school, at five years old, and his response to returning to school, there is likely a laundry list of other issues that have occurred. If you employ the teachings of behavioral theory, children at this age are a reflection of their environment more than their own ideology. Children acting in this manner are generally looking for a reaction or attention for one reason or another, and while this child may be the exception to the rule, I am going to stick with the odds here. That being said, because the child does not appear to be low functioning, or significantly handicapped, it is plausible to assume that his developmental skills are on par with his age, and this behavior is consistent with those who have experienced neglect, trauma or unsupportive home lives.
I can make no certain assumption about the mother's ability to parent and I try my best not to judge others because parenting is hard, and even more difficult with a child who has behavioral issues. That being said, it is more likely than not based upon the oppositional behavior from this child, and absent any diagnosis of developmental disability (which from what I've read isn't the case), there are some issues going on at home. Not to say mom is a bad person, but she may be in need of some assistance in parenting her child.

This is mostly on point. The school should have not allowed this behavior to escalate to a zero-sum ending, and in the event the child walked away from school, you don't let a five year old go without being there. The officers were undoubtedly frustrated by this situation and the probably the insane level of stress the experience every day, and let their frustration get the best of them here.

The mom is likely the main culprit here and I am sure there is a laundry list of issues this child has demonstrated prior to this that would support this idea. However, because the officers acted in such a poor manner, the mother is now able to play the victim card and will likely win this lawsuit. Her lawsuit is deplorable in my opinion, but it is warranted because in no way did those officers conduct themselves appropriately or likely within the policies and protocols of their jobs.

The good news is that since the kid is five, or maybe now six, there is ample time for behavioral intervention to help correct these behaviors and develop appropriate coping skills to prevent future issues.
Why is the Mom the main culprit? Is there no Dad? If there is no Dad, maybe that has something to do with the child’s behavior and it’s not the mother is a villain and doing the best she can. Where are you guys getting that the Mother is a villain? Is there more information available beyond the posted article?

Why is the Mom the main culprit? Is there no Dad? If there is no Dad, maybe that has something to do with the child’s behavior and it’s not the mother is a villain and doing the best she can. Where are you guys getting that the Mother is a villain? Is there more information available beyond the posted article?
I assumed that she was the sole custodial parent as the article mentioned she filed a lawsuit with no mention to dad. I also clearly explained why it is reasonable to assume that there is an unfavorable living situation at home based upon the child's behavior. You're probably correct to assume as well that there is an issue if dad is not in the picture and that may explain some of the additional issues at home etc. I am using my experience in working with children and schools to make an educated guess based upon the circumstances presented in the article. The mom (and maybe dad) is probably doing the best that she can, but that does not equate good parenting. Thus the reason I suggested that she get support in terms of parenting.

From the information provided it would be safe to assume that this child has additional issues at hand if he first of all chose to walk out of school, and second was allowed to walk out of school by the administration. This leads me to believe that this is not the first time this child has done something of this nature and that is why I assume frustration was at the level it was with him. Again these are my assumptions and opinions based upon the information presented, and I realize that I could be way off here.

Last edited:
...As I have said previously, this child is five years old and developmentally they are unable to process the magnitude of many of their behaviors. ..
It was difficult to read any further after this quote, Dr. Spock. Young children understand a lot more than people give them credit and they are constantly testing the boundaries. Discipline and love go hand in hand when raising a well adjusted child. If what you're saying is that it's really the parents' fault I can agree with that but that still doesn't mean an authority figure should cower towards these types of behavior. That's all part of the issue that even in school environments the children know how to push buttons and play the game while pushing the limits.

It was difficult to read any further after this quote, Dr. Spock. Young children understand a lot more than people give them credit and they are constantly testing the boundaries. Discipline and love go hand in hand when raising a well adjusted child. If what you're saying is that it's really the parents' fault I can agree with that but that still doesn't mean an authority figure should cower towards these types of behavior. That's all part of the issue that even in school environments the children know how to push buttons and play the game while pushing the limits.
Not sure the need for nicknames, but I was always a bigger Star Wars fan than Star Trek. Regardless, no one has said they need to cower towards a behavior in any way, but I would ask what is the intended outcome that the officers wanted to achieve? If their intent was to return the kid to the school, they executed that plan poorly. If their intent was to scare the child straight, they are clearly ignorant to the fact that methodology has no impact on children, especially at this age. It seems to me that they lost this power struggle because they escalated the situation rather than de-escalating the child and then enforcing whatever punishment is appropriate.

I am not sure why you were unable to read further after my statement, but from a developmental aspect, five year olds are not able to fully comprehend the magnitude of their decisions. If you've had children, you know this is the case. Kids at this age will say and do things that they hear around them for attention without regard for the impact it has on others. They will often act incredibly irrationally and will resort to more violent and outburst types of responses to various problems. At this age a child will react in whatever way they have learned that will get them what they want, which is nearly 100% of the time, attention. This is why five year olds take their ball and go home when they are mad, or punch someone without thinking. They are still experiencing what the social constructs of our society is about and it is our job to model appropriate behavior and responses.

If the intended result of this incident was to intimidate or threaten a five year old into compliance, that is beyond inappropriate and wildly ineffective. Screaming and threatening a five year old has no effect because there is no follow through and thus you have taught him to challenge said boundaries further. Tough love doesn't work on someone who is irrational and out of control, nor does it mean you need to have someone scream at you. Hold the kid, and parent(s), accountable for his actions, but what good does it do to threaten someone with no intent of carrying out the threat? To me the officers were operating at the child's level, which is unacceptable, and while they, and you, are free to hold those opinions about this child, it does little to no good to voice threats or scream at someone who is unable to process what you're saying. If you're married, it is kind like telling your spouse to calm down when they are already mad.

Without a nuclear family I'm lost. Things happen and the nuclear option isn't possible for all. But, the fabric of society is better off with Mom and Dad. Each represents authority thru different prisms. Police represent authority and I don't mind their behavior towards the child. Why were they even involved? Let's ask that question first.

This child is a problem and must be dealt with. How many other children does he have a negative impact on? Is that fair to those children? I would kick that child out of school for a short time. Happens again, you get a longer vacation. Keep it up you're gone. Bad apples ruin the whole bunch. Schools are for learning

I assumed that she was the sole custodial parent as the article mentioned she filed a lawsuit with no mention to dad. I also clearly explained why it is reasonable to assume that there is an unfavorable living situation at home based upon the child's behavior. You're probably correct to assume as well that there is an issue if dad is not in the picture and that may explain some of the additional issues at home etc. I am using my experience in working with children and schools to make an educated guess based upon the circumstances presented in the article. The mom (and maybe dad) is probably doing the best that she can, but that does not equate good parenting. Thus the reason I suggested that she get support in terms of parenting.

From the information provided it would be safe to assume that this child has additional issues at hand if he first of all chose to walk out of school, and second was allowed to walk out of school by the administration. This leads me to believe that this is not the first time this child has done something of this nature and that is why I assume frustration was at the level it was with him. Again these are my assumptions and opinions based upon the information presented, and I realize that I could be way off here.
I'm just trying to understand from the article posted where people get that the mother is "likely the main culprit" or "the villain". Certainly, a 5 year old's behavior can be impacted by his home situation and influences associated with that. Five year olds also have temper tantrums for unexplainable reasons. It just seems that there is a very quick judgement without much information that the mother is the main culprit and a villain.

Your attempt at deep psychological anlysis kind of lost any credibility if you thought I was referenceing Star Trek ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Spock
I guess I didn't think what I was saying was deep psychological analysis, but guess you got me. I had never read his material and from the link you provided, am glad that I did not when I was a new parent. I would be at odds with a large number of his ideas.

Without a nuclear family I'm lost. Things happen and the nuclear option isn't possible for all. But, the fabric of society is better off with Mom and Dad. ...
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded comment. But I agree with the rest. Unfortunately there are gong to be circumstances where there are one parent families. And they can be just as good as a mom & dad and on the flip side not all nuclear families are strong and productive but in general they tend to be more solid balanced upbringing.

What I find frustrating, is that LBJ's Welfare Program destroyed the concept of nuclear family and that has contributed to a lot of the inner city problems today. I don't understand why people are so resistant to undrstanding how the US Welfare system has contributed to the problems in the black community. Until that system is overhauled to help make poor become more self sufficient and successful we are doomed to continue the cycles that exist in poor inner city America.

Last edited: