Recent content by Dragon72

1. D

Kentucky's 'Sweet 16'...It Works

Another thing about Kentucky that you must consider is there are a lot less High Schools in the state. A number of counties in the state have only one or two high schools. I live across the river from Greenup and Boyd Counties. Greenup has 3 high schools (no private schools) and Boyd also has...
  2. D

Identical to the March Tournament. 16 Regions in Kentucky - Each Region will send a champion of their smaller schools (they have a tournament in each Region). Kentucky does allow their teams to play more games then Ohio schools that allows that format. Almost all Ohio schools belong to...
  3. D

You also need to mention that Kentucky also runs what they call the "A" Tournament in January for the smaller schools to have a "small school" Championship. All of these teams also are elgible for the regular tournament.
  4. D

Ask the Ref?

I thought the arrow was neutral to start an overtime. When you had the technical foul, that would establish the arrow (if the technical is against team B), Team A shoots the free throws, gets alternating possession but Team B would have the next arrow (provided no problems on throw-in).
  5. D

Old Ohio HS gym with on-court obstruction?

Sciotoville Community School in the Southern part of the state plays in a gym that is smaller then the old New Boston gym. It may be the only high school gym in the Southeast District that has the restraining lines. You could shoot a 3 from the corner in New Boston (provided you had a small...
  6. D

Old Ohio HS gym with on-court obstruction?

I officiated a number of games at New Boston when the old gym was used (they now have a new faciility. Never saw the "step" come into play. I think everybody was so aware of it. A very small gym that was almost impossible to referee in.
  7. D

Ask The Ref?

I am not sure more money would totally solve the shortage. Not to sound egotistical, but not everybody is cut out to be an official. It is probably not normal to be able to take constant questioning and critcism and to keep your composure. I have taught basketball officiating classes for...
  8. D

Ask The Ref?

Last week, we had to move a game to Saturday because of no officials available. Most of the established crews have switched to 6 man crews making the number shortage even worse.
  9. D

Ask The Ref?

There is a severe shortage of football officials in the Southeast area of Ohio this year. I know of one school in particular who needs a crew tonite. The school is South Gallia - about 15 miles out of Gallipolis. If any crew is open, contact the AD - Matt Bess 740-547-7570
  10. D

2023-2024 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes

Are you sure about the "going out of bounds and return" change? Rule 9-3-3 has to do with intentionally going out of bounds. Rule 7-1-1 has to do with the act of going out of bounds as in saving the ball. Confusing
  11. D

What schools will need a new coach in 2024

From the Southern Part of Ohio - 3 schools have hired veteran coaches to lead their programs. Norm Persin is now at South Webster, Jeff Lisath is at his alma mater Portsmouth and Rick Uhrig is back coaching at Huntington Ross near Chillicothe.
  12. D

Who wins D4?

From somebody who went to the State Tournament for over 30 years. I used to really enjoy several things about the tournament. I enjoyed watching the great athletic ability of the DIV 1 Schools and what they brought. I also enjoyed the smaller divisions. I always considered them to be...
  13. D

Unbeaten teams left in Ohio

You might want to double check on North Adams - they were undefeated in the regular season and are playiing tonite in tournament play at Jackson in Jackson County
  14. D

Ask the Ref?

Interesting situation last week. Late in game, a player was fouled and hurt on a play. The head coach came out to tend to his player. While he was doing that, the assistant coach sent somebody to check in to take the injured players place. The injured player stood up and the head coach then...
  15. D

Ask the Ref?

Odd situation that happened last nite. A player transferred into a school but with the elgibility rules, he was allowed to play in the first 11 games. He isn't elgible for rest of the season. He isn't listed in scorebook. He was in the pregame warm-up line. Yes, you guessed it, he dunked...