Recent content by Der Boy 82

1. D

Are you a true West Sider??

I was in fourth grade (about 10 years old) when my family and I watched the tornado (from our front yard) as it rip through Sayler Park, Bridgetown and White Oak. I guess we were about ten miles away but you could see the destruction as the funnel was throwing debris up into the air. Huge sparks...
  2. D

I remember the blizzard of 78 where Rapid Run Park was the place to be. I still remember kids actually ice skating down the hill because it was frozen. Seeing my Mom and Dad ice skating on the pond is a neat memory. Now being an East sider, Asbury Hill in Mount Washington is were we took the...
  3. D

Yes those street car rails are buried under the black top. The rails are attached in granite block to help support the weight of the streetcars.
  4. D

Very cool
  5. D

Oh my. I spent many "night cappers" there during the 1980's. Sad to see it go.:(
  6. D

I found Little Kings (16-7oz) bottles $16.99 at 5 mile Kroger Anderson Township (unfornately). Very good indeed.;)
  7. D

We use to call railroad workers or railroad cops "Dickies". I have no idea why we did, just kid silliness I guess. It is funny you mentioning "grumpy switchman" triggered that memory. It's all good! :)
  8. D

AWESOME! The Cheviot Railroad yard, and Hilltop Concrete was my childhood playground.
  9. D

Who can name the 11 parishes that got together to start Elder?

I have posted this link(s) on another thread (can't remember which one) but I would like to share it again here. Church Militant is a Catholic Website that exposes the corruption and massive cover-ups of the current Catholic Hierarchy and why the Catholic Church is in the downward spiral it is...
  10. D

Here is a little clip I found on YouTube. It shows the neat land marks that make up the Western Hills area. In this clip at the 48 second mark is a location called Millionaires Row. This is the series of houses you can find on Glenway Avenue as you drive towards Overlook Avenue. These houses...
  11. D

I just followed Wulff Run Rd using Google Maps. How and the heck do those folks get out of there during a severe rain and or snow storm? Some nice homes back there but I never knew about this road. I bet it's not fun going back there in the dark.
  12. D

My Grandpa (who died in 1988) born and raised in St. Michaels Parish (guessing 1910-1930's) . He told me a story about how he was treated as an outcast when he tried to attend Elder High School. Times were different then and the culture was quite segregated between the "rich" families which...
  13. D

I remember seeing the Big Boy picture being displayed on the outside wall when the Creamy Whip Ice Cream Store (next to the dry cleaners) was getting repainted. It makes sense now being the original location. Learn something new everyday.
  14. D

Ed Wessel Oldsmobile use to have a fellow drive around the neighborhood in a tri-wheel motorcycle with Ed Wessel Oldsmobile written on the back for advertisement. Bob Pulte (remember get the Pulte Price!) took over the Oldsmobile Dealership and then moved to Harrison Avenue which is now Green...
  15. D

Awesome memory you have there:)