Ezekiel Elliott

The Cowboys released Ezekiel Elliott today. What are your thoughts on his career?

• Disappointing, after a stellar college career, really expected more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mildly disappointing, he was the feature back for the Cowboys his entire career.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • He had about the career I expected.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Great career, couldn't have done much better other than getting to the playoffs more.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

14Red

The Dallas Cowboys released Ohio State Buckeye great Ezekiel Elliott today. How was his career?

He will get picked up by somebody. Still a very effective short yardage situation back.
At what cost? He's not a guy that's likely ever played special teams. The running back position has turned into a position where most teams choose to keep their financial resources low. I can see Elliott getting picked up, but I don't know how effective he'll be.

Could still be an effective player for a couple more years IMO if healthy and in a committee situation. If he's relatively healthy he's a great short yardage and goal line type back for a contender.

These last couple seasons that many act like he was awful he was still pretty productive while battling injuries. Played with a partial PCL tear for most of 2021 and had some lesser knee issues last year and still rolled up close to 2,300 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs.

Could still be an effective player for a couple more years IMO if healthy and in a committee situation. If he's relatively healthy he's a great short yardage and goal line type back for a contender.

These last couple seasons that many act like he was awful he was still pretty productive while battling injuries. Played with a partial PCL tear for most of 2021 and had some lesser knee issues last year and still rolled up close to 2,300 scrimmage yards and 24 TDs.
EE is a good pass blocker and a good receiver out of the backfield. If the Bengals could get him "cheap" I would like for them to sign him.

EE is a good pass blocker and a good receiver out of the backfield. If the Bengals could get him "cheap" I would like for them to sign him.
I think that's going to be the key. Is he ok with going on the "cheap" route? Obviously he has enough money to retire. There are very few Frank Gore's out there who seemingly skills never dimish and the desire to play as long as possible. Maybe Elliott won't want to just hang around.

Zeke is roughly a $3.5-$4M dollar guy. Here's a breakdown of the RB FA signings so far-

I think that's enough to keep him around. He's made a lot of money but who knows how he's saved. He can still be a decent contributor in an RBBC situation. I would not be surprised if he ends up back at Dallas after he gauges the market.

Zeke is roughly a $3.5-$4M dollar guy. Here's a breakdown of the RB FA signings so far-

I think that's enough to keep him around. He's made a lot of money but who knows how he's saved. He can still be a decent contributor in an RBBC situation. I would not be surprised if he ends up back at Dallas after he gauges the market.
He seems like he'd be a good fit to compliment the Ravens in addition to Dobbins.

He seems like he'd be a good fit to compliment the Ravens in addition to Dobbins.

That is the best fit I have herd with Elliott….providing Jackson returns to the Ravens.

If Elliott believes his value is far greater than a backup rb who plays no special teams, he could remain a FA. Sad if his last play in the NFL is getting trucked on the gadget last play of the game w/ the Cowboys in this years playoffs.

Mixon will likely get cut after the draft assuming they draft a RB in the 3rd rd.

I think a TE is very likely in the first 3 rounds. It might be wise to convince Mixon to take a pay cut and keep him and use the savings on getting Elliott. Two big if’s: 1) will Mixon take a pay cut 2) will Elliott sign on the cheap.

TE Kincade or Meyer would be great 1st rd picks at 28 for the Bengals

I think a TE is very likely in the first 3 rounds. It might be wise to convince Mixon to take a pay cut and keep him and use the savings on getting Elliott. Two big if’s: 1) will Mixon take a pay cut 2) will Elliott sign on the cheap.

TE Kincade or Meyer would be great 1st rd picks at 28 for the Bengals
1) will Mixon take a pay cut ............................hmmmm why would he do this? To stay and share with Zeke? Doesnt seem likely.
2) will Elliott sign on the cheap.......I think someone mentioned on here Zeke is in the 3-4 mil range. Seems fair and doable, correct?

1) will Mixon take a pay cut ............................hmmmm why would he do this? To stay and share with Zeke? Doesnt seem likely.
2) will Elliott sign on the cheap.......I think someone mentioned on here Zeke is in the 3-4 mil range. Seems fair and doable, correct?
1)He will have to IMO to keep from being cut at a very late date. His cap hit is $5.5M that sounds like the ceiling for his pay. The Bengals will likely draft a RB in the 2nd round no matter what they do with Mixon.
2) The Bengals were willing to go to $4.7M on Perine. They are looking for Zeke to do the same role so I'd say that's a number they are comfortable with doing.

Doing these 3 things and then cutting Collins and trading Williams allows them to sign a TE and a CB or 2 and then draft a RT in the 1st round, TE 2nd rd and either RB or CB in the 3rd and the other in the 4th.

It still leaves enough money left for Burrow and Higgins extensions (signing bonuses) and puts the Bengals at around $250M spent this season. That's a number the Bengals should be comfortable and prepared for.