Convoy Crestview vs Richmond Heights Updates 3/18 (DIV Championship)

Lot of blame to go around.. ultimately lies on the lap of people who will do anything to win a championship… coaches.. parents.. school… athletes
How many times does it need to be said - Richmond Heights does not pick what division they play in. They are a small school who hired a coach that kids want to play for - which is the goal of every school that hires a coach for any sport. You make it sound like everything the school does is in effort to win a D4 state championship. That just is not true. I'm sure they wish they could get more boys in the school so they could field a football team. I don't think any school picks to stay small and avoid getting the state money - just to win a D4 championship. My son played on a D4 and D3 team that won states - we wish we had more students. It is what it is. It just so happens that Heights has a good coach, good foundation of players, open enrollment and are located in an area where kids from surrounding areas could easy go play for. People just are having a hard time dealing with it.

How many times does it need to be said - Richmond Heights does not pick what division they play in. They are a small school who hired a coach that kids want to play for - which is the goal of every school that hires a coach for any sport. You make it sound like everything the school does is in effort to win a D4 state championship. That just is not true. I'm sure they wish they could get more boys in the school so they could field a football team. I don't think any school picks to stay small and avoid getting the state money - just to win a D4 championship. My son played on a D4 and D3 team that won states - we wish we had more students. It is what it is. It just so happens that Heights has a good coach, good foundation of players, open enrollment and are located in an area where kids from surrounding areas could easy go play for. People just are having a hard time dealing with it.
Let’s just open it up… make it a “bring the best team ya can put together” tourney.

Yet you are still here.
I love high school sports. I love going to The Vatican on Friday night for a game. I love watching the 4th or 5th graders scrimmage at halftime knowing I'll see those exact same kids playing JV and varsity in a few years. I love seeing kids who are grandkids of my classmates or my cousins playing the game, playing in the pep band or cheerleading. At our school, and many others, it's a family.

I love high school sports. I love going to The Vatican on Friday night for a game. I love watching the 4th or 5th graders scrimmage at halftime knowing I'll see those exact same kids playing JV and varsity in a few years. I love seeing kids who are grandkids of my classmates or my cousins playing the game, playing in the pep band or cheerleading. At our school, and many others, it's a family.
I get that, it was similar where I went to school. You also have to understand it is not like that everywhere and times change. You can accept that and still have pride in your community and also realize that you may not have a chance to win a state title when you have your team of the century, and that is ok. The kids really don’t care, it’s you that cares. When I was in HS we lost to a private school in Football in the state semifinal. They had guys from all over. We didn’t cry we didn’t moan. If it wasn’t for them we most likely would have won the Champ, we lost 14-10 and they won handily in the final. What mattered is that we battled them and almost won.
Only one team gets a state champ, and you can debate that you don’t agree with current division assignments, but that is what they are. Maybe talk to your school and see if they are interested in withdrawing from the OHSAA?

I like a 57 Chevy too. Things change however you are ripping kids who obviously enjoy playing together are friends and will probably stay friends long after hs. Petition ohhsaa to form a division of only kids who went to school since kindergarten and had grandparents as alumni.

Richmond heights is best in the state of Ohio any division. Real young as well. Two more titles coming. Just let them play division 1 title game

I know its a different sport, but I remember RH being a powerhouse in D3 wrestling. If I recall, 4 state championships in 6 years (79-84) and the school had like 30 state champions. They would send bus loads to Columbus and they still didnt have enough tickets for their fans. Then they dropped the program due to financial reasons.

Richmond Heights and Lutheran East play in the divisions that their enrollment dictates them to play in. They're not manipulating anyone.

However, I do think that the OHSAA should allow smaller-division schools who are heads and shoulders above their fellow schools to play up. Richmond Heights and Lutheran East can clearly play with anyone in Division I.

I know its a different sport, but I remember RH being a powerhouse in D3 wrestling. If I recall, 4 state championships in 6 years (79-84) and the school had like 30 state champions. They would send bus loads to Columbus and they still didnt have enough tickets for their fans. Then they dropped the program due to financial reasons.
Quite a run, all in Class A
1976 - 2nd
1977 - 2nd
1978 - 2nd
1979 - 1st
1980 - 1st
1981 - 3rd
1982 - 2nd
1983 - 1st
1984 - 1st

Quite a run, all in Class A
1976 - 2nd
1977 - 2nd
1978 - 2nd
1979 - 1st
1980 - 1st
1981 - 3rd
1982 - 2nd
1983 - 1st
1984 - 1st
Wow...I didnt realize that many runner-ups. I used to go to quite a few of their matches. Had a 4x state champ in Hanson.

Queen LeCrybaby and ASVSM yes was the definition of all schools in all divisions if they could bring in players they would.. queen LeCrybaby was and continues to be the biggest hypocrite there is ..

look back at the history of Ohio basketball.. North College Hill prior .. but St V St M and Queen Flopper opened the flood gates

Last edited:
Queen LeCrybaby and ASVSM yes was the definition of all schools in all divisions if they could bring in players they would.. queen LeCrybaby was and continues to be the biggest hypocrite there is ..

look back at the history of Ohio basketball.. North College Hill prior .. but St V St M and Queen Flopper opened the flood gates
LeBron has had a great career and life. Be a bitter hater if you want to

The community has changed significantly since Mike Papapourus had those powerful wrestling squads.

People always have something to complain about. First it was the private schools - now a public school is dominating and they still don't like it. What gives ? It's like unless a small rural public school does win then the system is broken. Heights did NOTHING wrong and are playing in the right division based on their size - deal with it.

How many times does it need to be said - Richmond Heights does not pick what division they play in. They are a small school who hired a coach that kids want to play for - which is the goal of every school that hires a coach for any sport. You make it sound like everything the school does is in effort to win a D4 state championship. That just is not true. I'm sure they wish they could get more boys in the school so they could field a football team. I don't think any school picks to stay small and avoid getting the state money - just to win a D4 championship. My son played on a D4 and D3 team that won states - we wish we had more students. It is what it is. It just so happens that Heights has a good coach, good foundation of players, open enrollment and are located in an area where kids from surrounding areas could easy go play for. People just are having a hard time dealing with it
Agree that they do not pick the division they play in, that’s left up to Enrollment/Competitive Balance rules in place, so they should not be faulted for that. And the D4 tourney is probably more of an afterthought for them compared to their much more difficult regular season schedule. But they do seem content establishing a dynasty in D4 and I would doubt they would try to purposefully boost their enrollment ( 1 away from being D3 this year) as that could lead to a potential Regional matchup with Lutheran East.

Didn't the great Columbus East dynasty of 69-71 that many mention as one of the best Ohio teams ever have one of their 3 stars transfer in from another Columbus public?

Agree that they do not pick the division they play in, that’s left up to Enrollment/Competitive Balance rules in place, so they should not be faulted for that. And the D4 tourney is probably more of an afterthought for them compared to their much more difficult regular season schedule. But they do seem content establishing a dynasty in D4 and I would doubt they would try to purposefully boost their enrollment ( 1 away from being D3 this year) as that could lead to a potential Regional matchup with Lutheran East.
Lutheran East is 7 away from D2. Honestly I don't think either school cares. SVSM has floated between D1 and D2 recently, Lutheran East D2 and D3.

I honestly don't think if a another good local player wanted to play at RH Rogers would turn them down because of risk of being D3. JMO.