• Cinc. Elder

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Cinc. Princeton

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Fairfield

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A little off topic here, but it pertains to D1. Anyone know why the regional semifinal dates are so weird? For example, Perrysburg played their district final on Friday night. They don’t play their regional semifinal until Thursday night. St Edward/Hoban, on the other hand, played their district finals on Saturday night and they turn around and play each other on Tuesday. Seems odd. Those two teams get 2 days to prepare for each other while Perrysburg and Toledo St Johns get 5 days.

A little off topic here, but it pertains to D1. Anyone know why the regional semifinal dates are so weird? For example, Perrysburg played their district final on Friday night. They don’t play their regional semifinal until Thursday night. St Edward/Hoban, on the other hand, played their district finals on Saturday night and they turn around and play each other on Tuesday. Seems odd. Those two teams get 2 days to prepare for each other while Perrysburg and Toledo St Johns get 5 days.
I believe it's due to venue scheduling and maybe ensuring both Region 1 semifinals are games are played on the same night

Background:
The OHSAA is alternating the Region 1 finals site location between Univ. Toledo and Kent State.
This year is Kent State's turn. Last year was in Toledo.

The OHSAA has also scheduled Kent State as the venue for the Region 2 semifinals and finals

With its wisdom, the OHSAA scheduled at Kent State:
  • Region 2 semifinals on Tues night (St. Edward vs Hoban)
  • Region 2 semifinals on Wed night (Stow vs. Walsh Jesuit)
  • Region 2 finals on Fri night with Ed's/Hoban getting 2 days off and Stow/Walsh getting 1 day off
Also ...
  • Region 1 semifinals on Thursday night (Ignatius vs Garfield Hts).
The OHSAA scheduled the Northwest Region 1 semifinals (Perrysburg vs. St. John's) at the Univ Toledo on the same Thurs night as the other semifinals in Kent State.
So, both Region 1 semifinals' winners have 1 day off

I think fairness was the OHSAA's motivation. St. Ed's/Hoban winner gets the benefit of 2 days off and the other Regions 1 & 2 semifinal winners get 1 day off.

Basketball is just this side of baseball as the team sport where on "any given night..."
Like the NCAA College baseball tournament , basketball (including the NCAA tourney) should really be double elimination, if the ultimate goal is to really coronate the best team.
Single elimination is the reason that no matter how good you are...you'd better bring your "A" game once we reach this point in the tournament.

Last edited:
We're down to the final 8. Here are the teams still alive:

Toledo St John (20-6)
Garfield Heights (23-3)
Walsh Jesuit (20-7)
Hoban (23-3)
Pickerington Central (22-5)
Olentangy Orange (24-3)
Fairfield (22-4)
Centerville (24-3)

Walsh plays Hoban tomorrow. The rest of the games are scheduled for Saturday.

Final 8 Teams by Final AP State Ranking

Centerville (24-3) #1
Olentangy Orange (24-3) #4
Pickerington Central (22-5) #7
Garfield Heights (23-3) #9
Toledo St John (20-6) Unranked
Walsh Jesuit (20-7) Unranked
Hoban (23-3) Unranked
Fairfield (22-4) Unranked

When you get to this point, games can be a toss up. I don't see a clear favorite as each team has multiple losses.

Curious to know how many unranked teams have won the state title.

I believe MaxPreps has Hoban ranked #5, Fairfield #7 and Garfield Heights #10. Only St. Johns, Walsh Jesuit and the defending State Champs (Pick Central) are unranked (seriously?). So, yes, I agree, I think we can throw rankings out the window.
I'm sure there have been some unranked champs, just can't recollect any offhand.
Based on their total body of work, to me, only St. John would be an unranked darkhorse surprise...Oh wait...there was Hickory High, in 1952...(naw, schucks, that was Indiana).

Last edited:
Final 8 Teams by Final AP State Ranking

Centerville (24-3) #1
Olentangy Orange (24-3) #4
Pickerington Central (22-5) #7
Garfield Heights (23-3) #9
Toledo St John (20-6) Unranked
Walsh Jesuit (20-7) Unranked
Hoban (23-3) Unranked
Fairfield (22-4) Unranked

When you get to this point, games can be a toss up. I don't see a clear favorite as each team has multiple losses.

Curious to know how many unranked teams have won the state title.
None of the last ten D1 state champions were unranked in the final AP poll. Of those ten winners, Westerville South had the lowest ranking at #10 in 2016. In the “almost” category, unranked Upper Arlington had a six-point lead and possession of the ball as the clock showed just over two minutes left in regulation in the 2014 championship game, but eventually lost to St. Edward in overtime.

Going into the tournament, I expected Centerville and Pick Central to make the state semi-finals and felt that the winner of that match-up would go on to win the championship. I still believe that, but don't rule out Hoban just yet.

I believe MaxPreps has Hoban ranked #5, Fairfield #7 and Garfield Heights #10. Only St. Johns, Walsh Jesuit and the defending State Champs (Pick Central) are unranked (seriously?). So, yes, I agree, I think we can throw rankings out the window.
I'm sure there have been some unranked champs, just can't recollect any offhand.
Based on their total body of work, to me, only St. John would be an unranked darkhorse surprise...Oh wait...there was Hickory High, in 1952...(naw, schucks, that was Indiana).
SJJ is NO homegrown Hickory High, lol.

This year's team does have some old-school in them though. Our local ball has been atrocious but at least it looks like an attempt at team ball. Not sure what Garfield Hts was playing. They had a big and didn't play him. Practically gave away their advantage and the fourth Q. SJJ played steady, mostly mistake free except a player mouthing off and getting a T up ten with four min to go. GH didn't take advantage.

Hoban is going to come at them the same way they go at Hoban. Only have the St Ed-Hoban game to go off, so I can't tell relative talent match-ups. SJJ guards are solid. As a team, they don't panic, they don't rush, they play within themselves. If they can hold to that, it gives them their best chance.