Hilliard Darby

First Place
106:
Huggy Williams (Olen. Liberty) dec. Kurt Mokros (Olentangy) 7-4;
113: Jaxson Rosselli (Olen. Liberty) maj. dec. Gunner Havens (Teays Valley) md13-4;
120: Andrew Myers (Upper Arlington) dec. Rahul Raghuram (Dub. Coffman) 4-0;
126: Joseph Baumann (Dub. Coffman) pin David Backus (Marion Harding) 2:35;
132: Wyatt Moore (Hil. Davidson) maj. dec. Slade Waller (Grove City) md14-3;
138: Omar Ayoub (Dub. Coffman) pin Scott Speakman (Watkins Memorial) 1:29;
144: Ty Wilson (Dub. Scioto) Default Nick Hart (Marysville) Default;
150: Tyler Deericks (Olen. Liberty) dec. Ian Cho (Dub. Jerome) 7-1;
157: Ethan Birden (Dub. Coffman) pin Logan Smalley (Reynoldsburg) 3:42;
165: Carson Mize (Marysville) maj. dec. Andrew Palmer (Grove City) md14-2;
175: Storm Beane (Dub. Coffman) dec. Colton Powers (Marysville) 3-2;
190: Camden McDanel (Teays Valley) pin Brady Quillin (Olen. Liberty) 3:12;
215: Dylan Russo (Olen. Liberty) dec. Cole Dickerson (Lancaster) 4-0;
285: Joey Thurston (Teays Valley) dec. Luke Fleet (Olen. Liberty) 4-2 OT;

Way to go Dublin Coffman. You guy are setting so many streaks.
OCC Titles-7
Top Central Ohio State Dual placement, best ever for a central district team 3rd.
FIVE D1 District Championships. (WOW).
Highest Central District D1 State Placement 3rd.

Congrats to the Wrestlers and Coaches! another good year, good luck next week.

you could hear a pin drop half way thru that heavy weight match. Dont remember that happening the last 30 years, I could be wrong, what a team battle. 11 in Semis is a Darby record, thought for sure Olib had this one after friday night. Congrats coffman, well earned.

Way to go Dublin Coffman. You guy are setting so many streaks.
OCC Titles-7
Top Central Ohio State Dual placement, best ever for a central district team 3rd.
FIVE D1 District Championships. (WOW).
Highest Central District D1 State Placement 3rd.

Congrats to the Wrestlers and Coaches! another good year, good luck next week.
Olib's third place was higher at state, points do matter :cool: ohio record with three teams over 120. Eds Elyria and Olib, sorry but you cant take this from us yet........:ROFLMAO:

As always a great tournament capped off by a great team race between OL and DC. Two great programs, with a lot of mutual respect. There are great dual teams, there are great tournament teams, and there are just great teams. DC is all three!

They have a couple of big names for sure, but this tournament was won in the wrestle backs. From top to bottom every DC kid was battling for bonus points where they could get them, 10-1 in the final round, kids battling through OTs, and injuries to finish 3rd, blood round losers battling back for 5th, teammates cheering loudly for each other, and in one of the coolest moments I've seen in a long time, the entire DC team jumping around Thurston chanting “Joey…Joey…” What a moment! and as as previous poster beautifully stated- his Dad was definitely smiling down from the heavens!

A little man once boasted, 236.5 at Darby was a record that would never be touched. DC reset that record last year with 247, maybe not a surprise given their senior class talent. What's crazy is that this year's DC team, put up that same 236.5 scored by the OL dream team in ‘17. We were told by the "insiders" and "experts" that this was a rebuilding year. We were told that this was the year that we could all catch you!

Congrats DC and OL, you continue to raise the bar for Central District wrestling.

Last edited:
and in one of the coolest moments I've seen in a long time, the entire DC team jumping around Thurston chanting “Joey…Joey…”

Upper Arlington had one of those moments at the 2022 sectional. They needed the Chillicothe 285 (Trevor Banks) to beat Lancaster. He gets the pin in a back and forth match and UA wins 231-229. UA guys mobbed him. They also asked him to be in their team championship pic. I think he liked that.

Upper Arlington had one of those moments at the 2022 sectional. They needed the Chillicothe 285 (Trevor Banks) to beat Lancaster. He gets the pin in a back and forth match and UA wins 231-229. UA guys mobbed him. They also asked him to be in their team championship pic. I think he liked that.
So cool! Lifetime memories!

As always a great tournament capped off by a great team race between OL and DC. Two great programs, with a lot of mutual respect. There are great dual teams, there are great tournament teams, and there are just great teams. DC is all three!

They have a couple of big names for sure, but this tournament was won in the wrestle backs. From top to bottom every DC kid was battling for bonus points where they could get them, 10-1 in the final round, kids battling through OTs, and injuries to finish 3rd, blood round losers battling back for 5th, teammates cheering loudly for each other, and in one of the coolest moments I've seen in a long time, the entire DC team jumping around Thurston chanting “Joey…Joey…” What a moment! and as as previous poster beautifully stated- his Dad was definitely smiling down from the heavens!

A little man once boasted, 236.5 at Darby was a record that would never be touched. DC reset that record last year with 247, maybe not a surprise given their senior class talent. What's crazy is that this year's DC team, put up that same 236.5 scored by the OL dream team in ‘17. We were told by the "insiders" and "experts" that this was a rebuilding year. We were told that this was the year that we could all catch you!

Congrats DC, you continue to raise the bar for Central District wrestling.
Thats whats crazy, DC and OL both have small senior classes. Unheard of with these numbers. Russo obv a big one leaving for OL and a decent heavy in fleet. These are signs of good budding programs. Not quit eds yet but for the sake of Central Ohio I am happy to see this!

Thats whats crazy, DC and OL both have small senior classes. Unheard of with these numbers. Russo obv a big one leaving for OL and a decent heavy in fleet. These are signs of good budding programs. Not quit eds yet but for the sake of Central Ohio I am happy to see this!
I believe DC only loses 120 & 215, two placers, but I know they will reload. Should be a nice battle for years to come!

rivalries and banter are fun and good for the sport.-- when kept in perspective. no one should wish ill will or injuries. I dont know the liberty coaches but I know the coffman coaches would do anything to help liberty kids out. and anyone else for the matter. I would hope they wouldnt close their doors to others and be exclusive. There are a few coaches in central ohio that are with schools specifically, HOWEVER, would do anything to help others regardless of program

rivalries and banter are fun and good for the sport.-- when kept in perspective. no one should wish ill will or injuries. I dont know the liberty coaches but I know the coffman coaches would do anything to help liberty kids out. and anyone else for the matter. I would hope they wouldnt close their doors to others and be exclusive. There are a few coaches in central ohio that are with schools specifically, HOWEVER, would do anything to help others regardless of program
Agreed 100%. My message to Central Ohio coaches would be to put all egos and/or agendas aside and open up your rooms, take the leash off and stop being provincial trying to protect your kids or worry that another coach will get in their ear. Encourage them to train with and build off each other. It's obviously already happening to a degree. I love to see comradery among coaches. These obviously kids all know each other and have been training with at the same clubs and competing against each other their whole lives. Rising tide lifts all boats or something like that.

Agreed 100%. My message to Central Ohio coaches would be to put all egos and/or agendas aside and open up your rooms, take the leash off and stop being provincial trying to protect your kids or worry that another coach will get in their ear. Encourage them to train with and build off each other. It's obviously already happening to a degree. I love to see comradery among coaches. These obviously kids all know each other and have been training with at the same clubs and competing against each other their whole lives. Rising tide lifts all boats or something like that.
gillman just said that in an interview! im a nerd listening to those guys

dispatch.com
Youth programs serve as backbone for Central Catholic League wrestling teams
High school wrestling success often begins at the youth level with strong feeder programs, and that is especially the case with the CCL in Columbus.

The CCL gets it. The kids from Watterson, DeSales, Hartley work out and come up together. DeSales room has always been open. And i know from my kids time there we had a close relationship with the DC and HD programs.
Not sure what might have happened since but if the Central District is going to keep growing and putting the pressure on they need to work together.
D1 Central District the last few years has had more than their fair share of State Champs . And D2 just out of the CCL will be bringing it this year as they did last year.

Last edited: