SVSM/Hoban Regular Season Games Officially Over

...and yet there are no specifics.

Perhaps it is a very bad thing that happened. They've done themselves no favors by not telling anyone about it. And by pretending all fall to not have made any decisions when it was clear they had made their decision but were too embarrassed to tell anyone.

Not fair to Hoban to throw them under the bus like this without specifics. Let us be the judge whether there was unsportsmanlike behavior.

Just this weekend a grandparent at a local basketball game made an unfounded accusation against a local student section and created quite a stir. Throwing these type of things out there isn't fair without details when they come from the highest level of a school.

Hope to see the game scheduled again. HS football needs games like this.

Not fair to Hoban to throw them under the bus like this without specifics. Let us be the judge whether there was unsportsmanlike behavior.

Just this weekend a grandparent at a local basketball game made an unfounded accusation against a local student section and created quite a stir. Throwing these type of things out there isn't fair without details when they come from the highest level of a school.

My favorite line is "the Hoban football program has lost its privilege to play STVM in the 2023 regular season", as if they are putting Hoban in timeout, with the hope that they learn their lesson.

Listen, I'm no big proponent of Hoban. I'm not a huge fan of how they've built their program. And I think both st v and hoban taking akron kids hurts all of the Akron programs.

Just because people on a sports forum haven’t been informed doesn’t mean, necessarily, that Hoban is blindsided by this. My guess is that there are plenty of Hoban people here who know exactly what this is about.

Ask them to open up…they know what it’s about, I’m sure.

Hoban looks pretty rogue to me…maybe STV has some history that gives them some insight into this issue…😉

Last edited:
One side thinks the other side committed an act worthy of an explanation and apology. The other side does not think it did anything wrong or that if it did it was so inconsequential that it's not worthy of an apology. Stir 70 years of animosity and rivalry and this is where you end up.

I think Dr. Phil should have an episode where he brings on SVSM's president and Tim Tyrrell.

One side thinks the other side committed an act worthy of an explanation and apology. The other side does not think it did anything wrong or that if it did it was so inconsequential that it's not worthy of an apology. Stir 70 years of animosity and rivalry and this is where you end up.

I think Dr. Phil should have an episode where he brings on SVSM's president and Tim Tyrrell.

Thought experiment: The same "act" occurs by hoban after St v wins their 8th in a row against hoban. Does st v cancel the game 2 years after? If not, why not?

Thought experiment: The same "act" occurs by hoban after St v wins their 8th in a row against hoban. Does st v cancel the game 2 years after? If not, why not?
That's been my question. If the teams were .500 against each other in the last 10 years, would we be here? Only those in power at SVSM know the answer to that.

I can tell you what happened, again it’s from a source but the source heard it from a St. V administrator who was in the room. In 2021 Hoban football players not coaches used an obscenity when breaking it down in pregame before they went back in the locker room. Hoban administrators were made aware of this 2 months afterwards during a meeting they had at St. V in December 2021. According to St. V administrator in the room Coach Tyrrell apologized to the President, Principal and the former Athletic department members numerous times. They decided to play in 2022 and nothing bad happened both in Basketball and Football. It is now that St. V president is demanding a written apology from Tyrrell from 2021 game. My guess is Tyrrell said he’ll no and St. V made their decision.
Sounds like no matter what St. V was ending this game!

I can tell you what happened, again it’s from a source but the source heard it from a St. V administrator who was in the room. In 2021 Hoban football players not coaches used an obscenity when breaking it down in pregame before they went back in the locker room. Hoban administrators were made aware of this 2 months afterwards during a meeting they had at St. V in December 2021. According to St. V administrator in the room Coach Tyrrell apologized to the President, Principal and the former Athletic department members numerous times. They decided to play in 2022 and nothing bad happened both in Basketball and Football. It is now that St. V president is demanding a written apology from Tyrrell from 2021 game. My guess is Tyrrell said he’ll no and St. V made their decision.

OK, well this changes everything. I didn't realize an obscenity had been used on the football field. This has to be nipped in the bud before it happens again.

Better if on Jerry Springer!

Nothing to do with this particular situation specifically, but remember when St V cancelled a game with Bishop Sycamore because they learned it was a scam and wouldn’t support it, but Hoban played them anyways and said they had no regrets about it even after the scam came to light?

good times.

Ain’t it at all. Does not involve players.

All of you are clueless when it comes to the decision to end the Hoban vs STVM series. The series was very competitive for years. Coach Orsini won with class. The Irish also won with class under Boarman. Answer why the NCL disbanded ??? STVM has taken the higher road and I support their decision. I am familiar with nearly every detail on the timeline 2000 to present. High school are designed is to educate student athletes. TT knows why

I'm just not understanding SVSMs decision here, unless they are just ducking Hoban. Unsportsmanlike incidents? Happens all the time/with a lot of schools. I fail to see how Hobans alleged incident is anything particularly damning, and I'm no Hoban defender. I've no dog in this fight. But it feels like an attempt to cover by slandering an entire school/fan base needlessly.

Someone brought up Bishop Sycamore, and how Hoban was fine with playing them. Make no mistake, if that ESPN debacle never happened, Bishop Sycamore would have played out the rest of their schedule, including Eds, and no one, would have batted an eye, and Jersey Flyer would still be peddling his scam today. That's not a strike against Hoban any more then it is a strike against Massillon, or Western Reserve Academy for that matter.

All of you are clueless when it comes to the decision to end the Hoban vs STVM series. The series was very competitive for years. Coach Orsini won with class. The Irish also won with class under Boarman. Answer why the NCL disbanded ??? STVM has taken the higher road and I support their decision. I am familiar with nearly every detail on the timeline 2000 to present. High school are designed is to educate student athletes. TT knows
So please enlighten us with your knowledge of "nearly every detail". Everything was great when St V was winning and dominating Hoban and everyone else in the state, but as soon as the tables turned St V cries foul and takes its ball and goes home. I understand a public school doing this as they have valid competitive issues but another private doing this looks weak. Much like the NCL when they disbanded to get rid of Hoban and then all rejoined to form a new conference. I have attended and watched all of rival games over the past 10 years and other than a blow out a few years ago all games were competitive. What changed?

So please enlighten us with your knowledge of "nearly every detail". Everything was great when St V was winning and dominating Hoban and everyone else in the state, but as soon as the tables turned St V cries foul and takes its ball and goes home. I understand a public school doing this as they have valid competitive issues but another private doing this looks weak. Much like the NCL when they disbanded to get rid of Hoban and then all rejoined to form a new conference. I have attended and watched all of rival games over the past 10 years and other than a blow out a few years ago all games were competitive. What changed?
Yeah, all this “TT knows why” stuff is weak sauce. The incident is apparently years old and the games are no longer going to be played so might as well spill the beans.

The series is stopped for only one season. If you have followed these schools for a long time, you know this is not uncommon for either of these schools to cancel a sporting event.