SVSM/Hoban Regular Season Games Officially Over

clarkgriswold

This topic has been rehashed on numerous threads and I am too lazy to track the last one down. SVSM has now officially pulled the plug in the series per the article below. It reminds me of the old Chevy Chase SNL schtick "Generalisimo Francisco Franco is still dead." Kyle Salasa has now taken on the role of Captain Obvious.

"Phone calls to Sasala and STVM coach Terry Cistone were not immediately returned." I hope Nate Ulrich isn't waiting by his phone for those calls.

In my little corner of the world, the StV people from when I was growing up are now sending their kids to Hoban. Doesn't explain why they stopped playing this game but I thought it was interesting that several StV families started choosing Hoban.

Hope they start playing it again in the near future as it was a spotlight game to look forward to every year.

Shame.

When I played, the teams had the best Akron had to offer. I have to think this rivalry would continue if that was still the case. When a team brings in ringers from Buffalo and Florida and whatnot, why would you keep lining up to get your behind kicked? Oh well. We can all still agree to hate Walsh.

Shame.

When I played, the teams had the best Akron had to offer. I have to think this rivalry would continue if that was still the case. When a team brings in ringers from Buffalo and Florida and whatnot, why would you keep lining up to get your behind kicked? Oh well. We can all still agree to hate Walsh.
Hoban might as well drop StV for basketball then. it’s truly funny how both sides cry about each other when they both do it, just different sports.

Hoban might as well drop StV for basketball then. it’s truly funny how both sides cry about each other when they both do it, just different sports.
Yeah but nobody cares about the rivalry in basketball. Or about basketball in general. Honestly STVM becoming a "basketball school" is annoying and sad given its rich football history.

Yeah but nobody cares about the rivalry in basketball. Or about basketball in general. Honestly STVM becoming a "basketball school" is annoying and sad given its rich football history.
I’m sure there is are some famous alumni from Green St that beg to differ. They picked their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Tbh the whole thing is sad as both sides have been idiots, from the new StV AD to Timmy boy and his crew. They all take away from the kids and this rich rivalry. Sad on many fronts.

At least as I understand the issues, it seems like a little bit of contrition coupled with some thicker skin would have gone a long way in resolving this.

I also have to wonder if this series had been even moderately competitive over the last decade whether we'd actually be here.

Not the first time this has happened; except that in 1977, it was Hoban who backed out of the rivalry, when there was legitimate concern at that time that Hoban might close. Of course, they didn't play again until 1996, and they've played every year since then. If you haven't seen Anthony Fanelli's "Holy War" documentary about this rivalry, I highly recommend it.

Also, I find it interesting that Walsh has played both schools every year since the 70's (Covid excepted) and looks to continue to for the foreseeable future.

I’m sure there is are some famous alumni from Green St that beg to differ. They picked their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

Tbh the whole thing is sad as both sides have been idiots, from the new StV AD to Timmy boy and his crew. They all take away from the kids and this rich rivalry. Sad on many fronts.
Honest question, how has "Timmy Boy and his crew" been idiots and cause the rivalry to end?

I'm not as familiar with either school really, I know more about Hoban. The obvious comparison would be Eds and Ignatius during the '90s, when Ignatius was playing chess to everyone's checkers. It seemed that that disparity came from a few things:
1) Ed's had a significant enrollment decline in the '80s that led to its smallest enrollments since the 1950s in the '90s
2) Ignatius' enrollment I believe grew
3) Ignatius was getting probably 75% of the best West side of Cleveland CYO talent with some key contributors from other parts of the city
4) Weight facilities and training (unsure when this came in)
Ed's didn't take itself off the schedule despite some pretty rough games. (47-0, 43-15, 37-0) Even in games where their talent was decent, there were scores like 27-10, 28-0 and when Ed's won it was tight. Everyone remembers the 35-34 3OT game but Ignatius was up 21-7 in the 4th quarter of that game and Ed's needed some breaks to go their way to tie it. Most of the 90s games were us getting knocked around and Ignatius winning a state title. If the current playoff format was in place, I think the scores would have gotten uglier in the 2nd games.

The response was what mattered. The school put together a campaign to build on facilities, it had a number of initiatives but one big part of it was a practice gym with an expanded weight room. Brought in Gibby as a coach, the coaching operation was expanded. Didn't happen over night but the games got more and more competitive. I don't think the rivalry was ever as lopsided as the streaks that both Hoban and SVSM have had though. One school typically is able to break a streak at 4-5 games. Now most years they will play twice anyway.

So I guess I wonder what SVSM's end game is? The series is paused so they will not play in the regular season. But they will probably play in the playoffs more often than not. Is there a plan to try to keep up or are they just conceding that Hoban will win handily every time they play? Are there other factors going on like what I listed up top? It seems more of a school-wide issue than just football to me.

Not the first time this has happened; except that in 1977, it was Hoban who backed out of the rivalry, when there was legitimate concern at that time that Hoban might close. Of course, they didn't play again until 1996, and they've played every year since then. If you haven't seen Anthony Fanelli's "Holy War" documentary about this rivalry, I highly recommend it.

Also, I find it interesting that Walsh has played both schools every year since the 70's (Covid excepted) and looks to continue to for the foreseeable future.
Didn’t realize the game has had a long hiatus before. I think this should end any further discussion by them as the real “Holy War” and any claim to being some great rivalry…just my opinion

At least as I understand the issues, it seems like a little bit of contrition coupled with some thicker skin would have gone a long way in resolving this.

I also have to wonder if this series had been even moderately competitive over the last decade whether we'd actually be here.

What are the issues? It appears the issues aren't clear enough that they can be articulated in the media to defend the schools actions. which leads me to believe that st v is embarrassed by their reasons.

St v can't compete.backed out.
St. V had the ball with 2 minutes to go in the regular season with a chance to win the game. This has nothing to do with being competitive on the field and everything to do with goings on off the field.

Sad to see the series take a pause…but it will resume in the future.

St. V had the ball with 2 minutes to go in the regular season with a chance to win the game. This has nothing to do with being competitive on the field and everything to do with goings on off the field.

Sad to see the series take a pause…but it will resume in the future.

Stop with the innuendo and be a man and state what happened. Your school looks like wimps, afraid of the big bad mean kids who do things so bad they must not be spoken. Mom!!!!

What happened to "to be the best you must play the best"?

This just in from Beacon Journal:

Dear STVM Alumni,

On Friday, February 24, St. Vincent-St. Mary (STVM) filled out its 2023 football schedule with a game to be played at Huber Heights Wayne, near Dayton. On Saturday, the Akron Beacon Journal published a story online about this development. It’s point, it seems, was to declare that STVM had “shut down” the school’s football rivalry with Archbishop Hoban. This is a bit misleading.
It is true that STVM is non-renewing an expired contract (for 2023 only). STVM values competitive athletics, and we hope to see Hoban again in the 2023 playoffs. However, due to our disappointment in resolving serious concerns raised with their administration in our conversations over the past 14 months, the Hoban football program has lost its privilege to play STVM in the 2023 regular season.

STVM is willing to play Archbishop Hoban in football, and we hope to return to our annual rivalry game as soon as possible. However, as a Catholic school in the Marianist tradition, we find this situation to be unacceptable and will not subject our students and coaches to any unsportsmanlike behavior. We will continue to dialogue with our partners at Archbishop Hoban. Thank you for your understanding of this challenging situation.
GO IRISH!

Leo P. Hyland

President

Conduct so bad that they continued to play Hoban twice in 2022. So bad it must not be spoken.

What a pathetic man, and a pathetic attempt to manipulate the alumni, the student body and the STVM community in general. And now, with this self-righteous attempt to disparage the Hoban administration and community, he's going to create a toxic environment for the other sports where the rivalry will continue. Incompetent.