URSULINE & CARDINAL MOONEY IN 2023?

The Don's Cardinals were 26-10-1 against the Irish from 1966-99. They played each other twice in 1968, 90 & 95.
I was at the two meetings in '68-- an unusual year for both programs. Both schools had to scramble last minute for schedules after Ytown voters defeated a school levy for the 6th time. It didn't look like the city schools would have the funds to field teams (eventually they did). The parochials met in week three @ South and week seven @ Rayen. CM flattened the Irish, 36-6, but was blanked by Ursuline 16-0 four weeks later--- a classic "throw out the record book" game of the series. Neither Don Bucci nor Tom Carey wanted to play the same team twice, but the Cards only had 8 games at that point. After smashing their archrivals, Mooney brought then Ohio power Cleveland Cathedral Latin to South and got bested 30-0 a week later. Soon-to-be SVC foes Fitch, Struthers, Boardman, & Campbell landed on Mooney's slate, as I recall. Ursuline was able to add Campbell, Boardman, & Struthers. Brookfield having left the conference opened up those weeks. CM finished 5-4 and the Irish 5-3-2. Against future conference foes in '68 it was Mooney at 3-3 and Ursuline at 2--2-1. Boardman beat both squads in first ever meetings with the Catholic schools.

The worst part of that Latin game is that it was scoreless at halftime. Latin's first TD came in the 3rd Q when they threw a short out route to the sideline and Mooney's CB came up and immediately hit the receiver but didn't wrap up and the receiver ran about 60 yards for the score. A punt and another long Latin TD pass, a turnover, etc. and the rout was on. I'm pretty sure the last Latin score came on about a 30 yard pass with less than a minute to go, also passed for the two point conversion. Final 30-0. Struthers beat Latin the next week and Fitch beat them in week 9, badly, something like 42-20. Latin finished at 4-5.
Wrecking an archrival and then being flattened the next week in the same stadium. Sounds like we're dealing with 16-17-year-olds.
Cathedral Latin was an honorary member of the SVC that year.

Figured I'd throw this in the thread...This was the 1999 Boardman-Mooney game in Week 10, Don's final season. Mooney clinched the SVC outright with this win, had Boardman won the two would have shared the crown. Was a great game which Mooney won 23-15, back and forth in the final minutes...

Hearing Mooney has had some enrollment trouble with the last few classes. How small can they go and keep the doors open?

Steubenville already has 3 road games scheduled. I doubt very seriously they would take a 4th. Too bad no local teams will step up.
What are you even talking about?
Open teams week 1:

Beallsville

CINCY AREA
Anderson
Archbishop McNicholas
Hughes
Princeton

CLEVELAND AREA
Collinwood
East Technical
Glenville
John F. Kennedy
East

Meadowdale
Liberty-Benton

Steubenville
Ursuline

The only local team open is Ursuline who needs a home game. The rest are senate league teams in Cleveland or Cincy area teams for the most part outside of Beallsville (SEO) and Meadowdale and Liberty-Benton (NWO).

Last edited:
Steubenville already has 3 road games scheduled. I doubt very seriously they would take a 4th. Too bad no local teams will step up.
Ursuline ought to simply be OPEN that week rather than go to Steubenville. YSU or no place. All of us must be forgiven when we slip up and forget that Steubenville is the center of the scholastic football universe.

Last edited:
What are you even talking about?
Open teams week 2:

Beallsville

CINCY AREA
Anderson
Archbishop McNicholas
Hughes
Princeton

CLEVELAND AREA
Collinwood
East Technical
Glenville
John F. Kennedy
East

Meadowdale
Liberty-Benton

Steubenville
Ursuline

The only local team open is Ursuline who needs a home game. The rest are senate league teams in Cleveland or Cincy area teams for the most part outside of Beallsville (SEO) and Meadowdale and Liberty-Benton (NWO).
What I’m talking about is……Steubenville has week 1 open. All 9 other spots are filled. What are you talking about