The backlash over team mascots!

SWGA Fan

What say you, about the PC moves to eradicate the aforementioned mascots, in the spirit of not offending a certain segment of society? Do you agree with the premise of just going with the flow? Or do you see the importance of preserving past traditions?

Lets see: your theory is that an organization that decides to change its sports club mascot or nickname is in the spirit of not offending a certain segment of society, constitutes "the premise of just going with the flow" .. no, that isn't quite your proposition, your proposition is that some unnamed entity is moving to eradicate aforementioned but not mentioned mascots and that this movement constitutes a premise of "just going with the flow" and then that the only argument for some unspecified entity to decline to bow the the PC moves to eradicate the aforementioned but not mentioned mascots, is based on the importance of preserving past traditions

start over with a new sheet of paper and posit a cogent premise or fact as the basis of your argument, this time, please..

I can't tell if you are arguing that tradition is important to retain, despite how bigoted and offensive it is, or what you are arguing here.

What say you, about the PC moves to eradicate the aforementioned mascots, in the spirit of not offending a certain segment of society? Do you agree with the premise of just going with the flow? Or do you see the importance of preserving past traditions?

give one specific example of a mascot some group is trying to eradicate, so we can narrow the field down to a real life example.

I am of the very strong opinion that our world, our country and our colleges are full of tradition and that includes mascots. I rooted for the Cleveland Indians many, many years and now I’m stuck with the Guardians. Trust me, Indians fan don’t and won’t feel the same. Been there and it stinks.

Lets see: your theory is that an organization that decides to change its sports club mascot or nickname is in the spirit of not offending a certain segment of society, constitutes "the premise of just going with the flow" .. no, that isn't quite your proposition, your proposition is that some unnamed entity is moving to eradicate aforementioned but not mentioned mascots and that this movement constitutes a premise of "just going with the flow" and then that the only argument for some unspecified entity to decline to bow the the PC moves to eradicate the aforementioned but not mentioned mascots, is based on the importance of preserving past traditions

start over with a new sheet of paper and posit a cogent premise or fact as the basis of your argument, this time, please..

I can't tell if you are arguing that tradition is important to retain, despite how bigoted and offensive it is, or what you are arguing here.
GEEEZ LOUISE, after you running around, chasing your blue horned tail. I forgot the question!o_O

MAYBE I SHOULDA started my query off by saying, that these PC fools can SHOVE IT UP their POSTERIOR! And it's not like this BS started last week. STANFORD USED to be the INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And St. Johns used to be the RED MEN! And to my knowledge and belief. NO RED faced or indigenous peoples have EVER objected to those mascots. It MUST be a NORTHERN THANG. Cause changing Atlanta Braves, Old Mississippi Johnny Rebs, FSU Seminoles, et al., have NEVER gotten off the ground. In FACT, the Seminole people of North Florida, say that they are PROUD that Florida State thought enough of them to use their tribe as the NOLE mascot! GO FIGURE!

GEEEZ LOUISE, after you running around, chasing your blue horned tail. I forgot the question!o_O

MAYBE I SHOULDA started my query off by saying, that these PC fools can SHOVE IT UP their POSTERIOR! And it's not like this BS started last week. STANFORD USED to be the INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And St. Johns used to be the RED MEN! And to my knowledge and belief. NO RED faced or indigenous peoples have EVER objected to those mascots. It MUST be a NORTHERN THANG. Cause changing Atlanta Braves, Old Mississippi Johnny Rebs, FSU Seminoles, et al., have NEVER gotten off the ground. In FACT, the Seminole people of North Florida, say that they are PROUD that Florida State thought enough of them to use their tribe as the NOLE mascot! GO FIGURE!
You SEC folks can barely think of enough names. You have three Tigers and two Bulldogs in the same league.

thats more like it. now we know WTF you're talking about. LOL

give one specific example of a mascot some group is trying to eradicate, so we can narrow the field down to a real life example.
Old Mississippi Rebels/ FSU Seminoles/ Atlanta Braves, and BLASHPHEMY, PETA trying to do away with our furry lil boy from Savannah, UGA X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

You SEC folks can barely think of enough names. You have three Tigers and two Bulldogs in the same league.
PROBABLY cause those mascots are BAD TO DA BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) But a BUCKEYE, a BOILERMAKA, a NITTY Leon, a FIGHTIN ILLINI? SAAAAY WHAAAT? /SPARTANS (dead ancient solders/ FIGHTIN GOOPHERS, HAWKEYES? / must be kin folk to a BUCKeye? / WOOOAAH! o_O Seems as though the only one that don't wear a dress is that WOLVERINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But have no fear, the SEC is attempting to gay it up a tad, when we add those SOONERS!

Last edited:
PROBABLY cause those mascots are BAD TO DA BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) But a BUCKEYE, WOOOOOOO! o_O
But when you say Buckeyes…you know it’s all about THE Ohio State University. There is no confusion. Like the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics. Iconic.

I am of the very strong opinion that our world, our country and our colleges are full of tradition and that includes mascots. I rooted for the Cleveland Indians many, many years and now I’m stuck with the Guardians. Trust me, Indians fan don’t and won’t feel the same. Been there and it stinks.
From all this hoopla up North with regard to PC monikers. It's my suspicion that there is a VERY STRONG influence from your FRENCH ancestors in play!:rolleyes:

But when you say Buckeyes…you know it’s all about THE Ohio State University. There is no confusion. Like the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics. Iconic.
And make NO mistake along that train of thought. That when you refer to REAL BULLDOGS, there is ONLY ONE. The REST are merely faux canines!!!!!!!😉

Offensive to WHOM?

Old Mississippi Rebels/ FSU Seminoles/ Atlanta Braves, and BLASHPHEMY, PETA trying to do away with our furry lil boy from Savannah, UGA X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Ole Miss went "PC" and retired the Colonel Reb sideline mascot 10-12 years ago while keeping the "Rebels" nickname. Ever notice all their logos are just variations of script/cursive Ole Miss? The sideline mascot was a "rebel" black bear for a few years and is now a frickin' landshark.

Florida State probably has the only "non-PC" sideline mascot I think of in major college athletics.

Ole Miss went "PC" and retired the Colonel Reb sideline mascot 10-12 years ago while keeping the "Rebels" nickname. Ever notice all their logos are just variations of script/cursive Ole Miss? The sideline mascot was a "rebel" black bear for a few years and is now a frickin' landshark.

Florida State probably has the only "non-PC" sideline mascot I think of in major college athletics.
LAND SHARK? !!!!!!???!??!!????????

But that made me think of a new mascot the Land YACHTS! the Emblem is a decal of a 1957 Cadillac coup de ville Convertible with the huge fins or a Chrysler Imperial
1676517976221.png

I didn't even know what a Land SHARK ....

WAS.

1676518162270.png

FSU pays money to the Seminole tribe to keep the peace, so it’s all good.

As far as non-PC, there’s plenty if you look hard enough. Trojans and Spartans are white conquerors. Any Knights, Warriors, Mountaineers, Cowboys, Raiders, Dukes, Commodores, Miners, Minutemen probably did something bad to some group at some point. And we still have Illini, Chippewa, Utes, Aztecs.

WELL SIR, OLD MIZZOU was a Johnny come lately? Maybe YOU'D like to ask them to change mascots in midstream, or NOT!!! Awebun is the PLAINSMEN, the WAAH EAGLES, AND the Tigas! Talk about an identity crisis of epic proportions! o_O And as we ALL SHOULD know, there is only ONE BULLDOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U G A, cause he's a DAMN GOOD DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'll hafta call BS on the presumption of bribery! HECK FIRE, even the Chief of the North Carolina Association of Cherokee Nation, comes on the Braves telecast yearly, continually reiterating the love of their relationship with the Braves. I would imagine that FSU has a similar relationship with the Seminole people of North Florida. Because traditionally, that's a REAL Seminole who rides their lil horse, Renegade.

And as far as the term REBELS being deemed offensive. Those who are against such a moniker must NOT be American Patriots. Because the Minutemen in the Revolutionary War were called REBELS as WELL! And when you boys continually call that famous declaration on Paul Revere's ride among others, the BRITISH are coming, is PURE creative license. Because they were ALL BRITISH until the Declaration of Independence.😉

I don't know the backstory behind the "War Eagle" thing with Auburn, but it's one of the best live mascots in college sports. No idea how they arrived at having the "Tigers" moniker but also have the live eagle taking flight at the games.

I don't know the backstory behind the "War Eagle" thing with Auburn, but it's one of the best live mascots in college sports. No idea how they arrived at having the "Tigers" moniker but also have the live eagle taking flight at the games.
Agree. Always liked how Georgia Tech uses the Yellow Jackets and the Ramblin' Wreck (Ford Model A) as well.

Sportswriters: In looking up why the Toledo Rockets were The Rockets long before the space age, I found an article that said sportwriters made up most of these names. True or not, IDK.

There were natural mascots like the Yale Bulldog. The Rockets came about because a Pittsburgh sports writer wanted something to call the team playing Carnegie Tech (now Mellon).
The writer, who was unnamed in the story, then asked a Toledo spotter for his input. The spotter said, "since Toledo was providing plenty of fireworks, how about 'Sky Rockets,'" according to the Telegraph-Forum.

"Just then a Toledo player grabbed a fumble out of the air and ran 99 yards for a touchdown," the newspaper reported. "The writer, impressed by the speedy runner, said 'Rockets' would suffice."

The Wreck, like the Boilermaker special are student organization and campus symbols. Hence the two for each school. The officlal sports mascots are Yellow Jackets and Purdue Pete (surveyed to be the second worst mascot and the creepiest). Purdue Pete's image was actually changed because of complaints it was scaring little kids but campus balked at the idea of a plushy toy and stuck with the fiberglass head.

Toledo a bit different. The Rocket is both the campus and the sports mascot but they joined the crowd with a live Rocky the Rocket. The originals very creepy in their own right. I remember the umbrage when it was proposed they add a female Rocksy but I think that quickly died down when it was seen that the little kids loved her. I think they're two of the more fun mascots in sports, with The Blue Crew taking the creepy (but in a fun and now frequently copied way) title.

Last edited:

WELL, PETA is TRYING to do away with our lil four legged dude UGA X. BLESS THEIR LIL HEARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

That Eagle even made a trip to McConnell-Talbert Stadium in Warner Robins one season, for the 7A State Championship between Northside and Parkview. Northside's mascot is also the Eagle.

Sportswriters: In looking up why the Toledo Rockets were The Rockets long before the space age, I found an article that said sportwriters made up most of these names. True or not, IDK.

There were natural mascots like the Yale Bulldog. The Rockets came about because a Pittsburgh sports writer wanted something to call the team playing Carnegie Tech (now Mellon).

The Wreck, like the Boilermaker special are student organization and campus symbols. Hence the two for each school. The officlal sports mascots are Yellow Jackets and Purdue Pete (surveyed to be the second worst mascot and the creepiest). Purdue Pete's image was actually changed because of complaints it was scaring little kids but campus balked at the idea of a plushy toy and stuck with the fiberglass head.

Toledo a bit different. The Rocket is both the campus and the sports mascot but they joined the crowd with a live Rocky the Rocket. The originals very creepy in their own right. I remember the umbrage when it was proposed they add a female Rocksy but I think that quickly died down when it was seen that the little kids loved her. I think they're two of the more fun mascots in sports, with The Blue Crew taking the creepy (but in a fun and now frequently copied way) title.
I wonder if sportswriters made up the mascot for Fordyce, Arkansas, home of the Redbugs? (alma mater of Paul 'Bear' Bryant)

That's one of the biggest reasons why college football is soooo interesting, backstories on every street corner.

That's one of the biggest reasons why college football is soooo interesting, backstories on every street corner.
Agree. The pageantry and local/regional traditions is second to none IMO, which is why it is painful to see everything become so homogeneous.