Memphis Police beating suspect

What? How do you make that assumption? He had what seems to be a good job and a close family. He enjoyed things like photography as a hobby. I fail to see what about him makes you think he was some kind of loser based on what you know. Seems like your opinion is based on something much more superficial that any information you have.
For the record, I did not call him a loser, you just did. There is just more to this story, there HAS to be. Thank goodness the 5 cops are black and the police chief is black or Memphis would be burning to the ground.

For the record, I did not call him a loser, you just did. There is just more to this story, there HAS to be. Thank goodness the 5 cops are black and the police chief is black or Memphis would be burning to the ground.
And as I said, the "more" to the story will only further indict the cops and not exonerate or justify them.

There's no good excuse for the beating and subsequent death of Nichols. However, reading the police chief and her investigation (she is black, just for the record) and the issues that our police departments face nationwide. First of all, the buzz word these days for all failiings seems to be "understaffed". The police are no different. With all the wokeness going on across the country and the attack on the police for a few bad apples, we've essentially pushed alot of good cops out of the profession. Instead of dealing with the bad apples, we create new laws to appease the left that make no sense and are just window dressing for making mayors and state politicians look good.
What we've done is given a open door policy for criminals and thugs to just run the streets and cause all kinds of havoc. And that's exactly what we get. Police get to deal with these people 24/7, over and over. What's your breaking point? I know I couldn't deal with that. And the first time you bust someone's head, you get put on leave - pending an investigation. POLICE are guilty until proven innocent? THEY have went through all the training and taken an oath to serve and protect -- and yet they have to stand down because some drug dealer or criminal got what was coming to them?
Now in order to have order, you are going to occasionally, in rare instances have a George Floyd, or a Tyre Nichols situation pop up. Again, look at the percentages of police interactions with citizens vs. the few numbers of these and there is NO NEED to make sweeping changes. Let cops be cops.

There's no good excuse for the beating and subsequent death of Nichols. However, reading the police chief and her investigation (she is black, just for the record) and the issues that our police departments face nationwide. First of all, the buzz word these days for all failiings seems to be "understaffed". The police are no different. With all the wokeness going on across the country and the attack on the police for a few bad apples, we've essentially pushed alot of good cops out of the profession. Instead of dealing with the bad apples, we create new laws to appease the left that make no sense and are just window dressing for making mayors and state politicians look good.
What we've done is given a open door policy for criminals and thugs to just run the streets and cause all kinds of havoc. And that's exactly what we get. Police get to deal with these people 24/7, over and over. What's your breaking point? I know I couldn't deal with that. And the first time you bust someone's head, you get put on leave - pending an investigation. POLICE are guilty until proven innocent? THEY have went through all the training and taken an oath to serve and protect -- and yet they have to stand down because some drug dealer or criminal got what was coming to them?
Now in order to have order, you are going to occasionally, in rare instances have a George Floyd, or a Tyre Nichols situation pop up. Again, look at the percentages of police interactions with citizens vs. the few numbers of these and there is NO NEED to make sweeping changes. Let cops be cops.
What specific laws have been made to appease the left?

What open door policy for criminals are you talking bout?

THERE IS NEVER AN EXCUSE TO "BUST SOMEONES HEAD" Sort of what civil rights are. You go into a profession knowing what the job is. If you cannot live up to the responsibility, do not go into the profession.

Letting cops be cops is fine. Letting cops be criminals is not.

"As eloquent as some of the speeches were, the entire affair came off to me as a spectacle, a parade in which each of the high-profile speakers and attendees arrived in order to reprise the old song and dance and to make sure the TV cameras captured them doing it. (OPINION!)

I assume all of this happened with the consent of Nichols’s family, and I would not criticize them for memorializing their loved one in whatever manner they wish. But the presence of the cameras, the political celebrities, and the old rhetoric transformed the event into something both greater and lesser than an act of mourning. “Tyre Nichols” will now join the litany of names recited whenever a black person dies in an encounter with the police, no matter the circumstances. Perhaps he deserves better than to fade into yet another name on the lips of yet another entrepreneur of grief looking for yet another moment in the spotlight.

"As eloquent as some of the speeches were, the entire affair came off to me as a spectacle, a parade in which each of the high-profile speakers and attendees arrived in order to reprise the old song and dance and to make sure the TV cameras captured them doing it. (OPINION!)

I assume all of this happened with the consent of Nichols’s family, and I would not criticize them for memorializing their loved one in whatever manner they wish. But the presence of the cameras, the political celebrities, and the old rhetoric transformed the event into something both greater and lesser than an act of mourning. “Tyre Nichols” will now join the litany of names recited whenever a black person dies in an encounter with the police, no matter the circumstances. Perhaps he deserves better than to fade into yet another name on the lips of yet another entrepreneur of grief looking for yet another moment in the spotlight.
Correct...it was a spectacle...

THERE IS NEVER AN EXCUSE TO "BUST SOMEONES HEAD" Sort of what civil rights are. You go into a profession knowing what the job is. If you cannot live up to the responsibility, do not go into the profession.

As someone in this field, the state used BLM to not put people in prison and make counties pay for them in jail. Now jails are filled so now criminals that should be in prison are on the streets. Also every police department is understaffed making cops work 6 to 7 days a week.

That's the point, cops can't be cops anymore. We've taken away cops ability to keep the peace, and where is generally trouble....in the cities. Many citizens simply do not care.

Correct...it was a spectacle...
And this hurts you how? The parents and family conducted themselves with much more class and dignity than I would have. It's much less a spectacle than watching their loved one being beaten to death. I'll take spectacle if it means I don't have to see or hear about the police killing someone. That is not the job of the police and we should all want it to end. Cameras and speeches are not gathering at the church with guns going out looking for revenge.

And this hurts you how? The parents and family conducted themselves with much more class and dignity than I would have. It's much less a spectacle than watching their loved one being beaten to death. I'll take spectacle if it means I don't have to see or hear about the police killing someone. That is not the job of the police and we should all want it to end. Cameras and speeches are not gathering at the church with guns going out looking for revenge.
Where did I say it hurt me? I've never indicated that the police were not in the wrong. I posted something from a black man with his thoughts...this seems to upset you?

Where did I say it hurt me? I've never indicated that the police were not in the wrong. I posted something from a black man with his thoughts...this seems to upset you?
Not at all. You are the one that is calling the funeral a spectacle. Nothing in the article you posted had what should be done.

You can't think of any time where a cop may need to "bust someone's head"? What if a violent criminal was standing over top of your wife?

As someone in this field, the state used BLM to not put people in prison and make counties pay for them in jail. Now jails are filled so now criminals that should be in prison are on the streets. Also every police department is understaffed making cops work 6 to 7 days a week.
So, you are blaming the Republicans in Ohio with using BLM to not put people in Prison and shift to making counties house more of them in jails? Was there a law passed I don't know about. The Republicans take their marching orders from BLM all of a sudden?

You can't think of any time where a cop may need to "bust someone's head"? What if a violent criminal was standing over top of your wife?
I would hope that the police would use acceptable methods of subduing someone. Busting heads is not anywhere in any police training.

1675966339145.png

Not at all. You are the one that is calling the funeral a spectacle. Nothing in the article you posted had what should be done.
It most certainly was a spectacle, but again I never said it hurt me.... As far as what should be done, perhaps you can ask Glenn Loury or John McWhorter as I didn't write the article or participate in their discussion.