OHSAA does not allow kids to play 7on7

The timeline that is laid out makes no sense. Have the spring practices during track regionals which is late May? This was already pointed out, that's when most schools are out which makes it the start of summer. In the summer schools are allowed 10 practices. So, now they're advocating for 17 practices in the summer? Spring ball in Ohio will never make sense.
On paper, most track athletes are done after districts. In reality, many of the track athletes who would have the measurable speed, power, agility, etc. that major DI college football programs want would still be competing in track and field at regionals with a considerable portion of those athletes having yet another week of track season remaining to compete in the state meet.

When Ohio had spring football up until the mid-'50s, it lasted 3 weeks in early April. Those schools who participated started their spring sports after the conclusion of spring football. Some schools would play maybe 2 or 3 baseball games before they had to compete in their sectional tournament.

Last edited:
I audited Georgia's roster and a little over 80% of their roster is home grown. I'd have to go back and cross reference out of state players on their roster who directly contribute to their on field success. That being said, I'm going to wing a guess that Georgia's success has more to do with the athlete's in their state and that they are not really poaching anyone of any significance outside the state of Georgia. Based on that it would seem spring ball has less to do with their success, although I don't know how many days they get in May. They may get more for all I know.

GA's success has probably more to do with an ever increasing population of internal migrants from around the US and well finally finding a HFC who can get the job done (no offense to Mark Richt).

More practice time yes. Over a high school football player's career in South Carolina they are totaling 60 additional practice days. However I can tell you first hand those first 3 days are spent making sure kids have paperwork turned in and sizing kids for equipment and helmets.

With regards to better athletes you and I could make the same argument if it were the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 1950s / 60s when the "rust belt" was still brimming with large populations (better athletes).

I would argue the air conditioner played more of a role in opening up the South to what was going on up North. Without AC ain't no way anyone from up North is moving down here.
its not like anyone really cares, its just the minor leagues for the NFL

which has seen its best days. american football is on its way out, people are figuring it out that guys whose primary job is to beat each other up aren't worth millions of dollars per year because it isn't that entertaining.

the entertaining part: the big hits on ball carriers and receivers: is being ruled out of the game.

which has seen its best days. american football is on its way out, people are figuring it out that guys whose primary job is to beat each other up aren't worth millions of dollars per year because it isn't that entertaining.

the entertaining part: the big hits on ball carriers and receivers: is being ruled out of the game.
Yea, hardly anyone watches the Super Bowl anymore and you never see Peyton Manning doing TV commercials anymore either.

Time will tell I guess. As long as someone is making money off of it it'll be around. May not look the same but the concept will maintain.

if Ohio State wants 7 on 7 or spring football in Ohio high schools tell them to fund it, and pay medical costs for all injuries incurred.

Ohio State wants spring football. So who cares what Ohio State wants?

Nobody

tell them to fund it: all costs down to the last roll of athletic tape and hot water for showers and all equipment

and all medical costs for all injuries incurred.
That makes absolutely 0 sense.

I audited Georgia's roster and a little over 80% of their roster is home grown. I'd have to go back and cross reference out of state players on their roster who directly contribute to their on field success. That being said, I'm going to wing a guess that Georgia's success has more to do with the athlete's in their state and that they are not really poaching anyone of any significance outside the state of Georgia. Based on that it would seem spring ball has less to do with their success, although I don't know how many days they get in May. They may get more for all I know.

GA's success has probably more to do with an ever increasing population of internal migrants from around the US and well finally finding a HFC who can get the job done (no offense to Mark Richt).

More practice time yes. Over a high school football player's career in South Carolina they are totaling 60 additional practice days. However I can tell you first hand those first 3 days are spent making sure kids have paperwork turned in and sizing kids for equipment and helmets.

With regards to better athletes you and I could make the same argument if it were the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 1950s / 60s when the "rust belt" was still brimming with large populations (better athletes).

I would argue the air conditioner played more of a role in opening up the South to what was going on up North. Without AC ain't no way anyone from up North is moving down here.
Great points here, never going to change somebody’s genetics. Ohio just isn’t filled with the big thoroughbreds like it used to be. However, you can maximize the talent that is in the State and currently aren’t doing it without 7 v 7 and spring ball.

I keep harping on the double standard of every other sport having ability to play year round but a ton of rules for football. Alos, the south get 3 years of spring practice which is like 60 more practices for the kids to hone their skills and be better player for shot at scholarships. Plus, college can go see practices and scrimmage games in person during spring instead of just doing eye test which gives southern players a upper hand to northern players.
If I may. In Georgia, the GHSA gives teams the option of having two scrimmages in the Fall. Or one each in the Spring and Fall. Having a Spring scrimmage, affords the coaching staff to evaluate their future roster, with months to mix and match to gain a head start for the coming season. In our case, we generally have three 7 on 7 tourneys during the summer. Some of those tourneys also afford our team the opportunity to compete in, and possibly win a marquee tourney, that qualifies us for the national 7 on 7 competitions. Fairly recently, our participation in the Kirby Smart 7 on 7 in Athens, exposed our WR and TE corp. to the UGA coaching staff. As a result, we had a WR (Ny Carr) and a TE (Landon Thomas) verbal to them that weekend.

If Ryan Day and Bobby Carpenter want people to do what they want, they should try being good at what they claim to be good at first. Bobby Carpenter was one of the dumbest, softest linebackers I've ever seen take an NFL snap. And Ryan Day..well....

If Ryan Day and Bobby Carpenter want people to do what they want, they should try being good at what they claim to be good at first. Bobby Carpenter was one of the dumbest, softest linebackers I've ever seen take an NFL snap. And Ryan Day..well....
Agreed on Ryan Day, he sucks as a coach. Urban Meyer however was one of the first people to beat the drum for Ohio HS spring football and that guy is a 3 time national champion.