2022 Cincinnati Bengals

The Browns won on the field including 2 years before the SB. They weren't poll titles

It would be like me saying only playoff titles count in college football. Those bcs titles won on the field don't count. Different name
But the Browns have won nothing in the Super Bowl era ( modern way of achieving a championship). But, enough of the Browns; I think we've all had our fill and more.

But the Browns have won nothing in the Super Bowl era ( modern way of achieving a championship). But, enough of the Browns; I think we've all had our fill and more.
Again that would mean only 2014 and on matter in college football. Then when it expands, those don't matter either. Different format or name . OSU winning in 2002 doesn't count then

The Browns won the title 2 years before the first super bowl. If GB can count sb1, I can think Browns fans can count the 1964 title.

😂 Is that the real browns or the fake one?
The only Browns. All of that happened in Cleveland and history stayed in Cleveland

If you want to talk teams that left then the Rams first title happened in Cleveland . They took that history but the title happened in Cleveland. All the Browns titles and runner ups also happened in Cleveland

🤷‍♂️

Will the Bengals be able to afford Burrow and keep other key players?

I really don't have anything against the Browns (and probably dislike the Steelers and Ravens significantly more), but if you want to circle jerk about and debate the relevancy of championships won in the leather helmet and single bar facemask days, go do it in the damn Browns' thread.

I really don't have anything against the Browns (and probably dislike the Steelers and Ravens significantly more), but if you want to circle jerk about and debate the relevancy of championships won in the leather helmet and single bar facemask days, go do it in the damn Browns' thread.
The Bengals haven't won anything since Christ had a crew cut.

In fact, even then, they hadn't won anything.

The truth on how I feel about the Bengals. Grew up 20 miles west of Cleveland and back in those days there was a black out rule of 50 miles for home games. So I only got to watch away games. After graduation from HS went to southern Ohio to college. Got to watch all Browns games, better than being up home. Then along came a team called the Bengals and about the only time you got to see the Browns is when the Browns and Bengals played each other. I have stayed a Browns fan my whole life and soon realized my second favorite team was whoever was playing the Bengals. Was sure nice to see my second favorite team beat the Bengals in the playoffs.

Will the Bengals be able to afford Burrow and keep other key players?

Yes

The Bengals haven't won anything since Christ had a crew cut.

In fact, even then, they hadn't won anything.
You tell em' OldSoulon......Lou Groza, Automatic Otto Graham, Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly, Gary Collins, Frank Ryan, Blanton Collier....Brownies are due for another run here anytime now. These things are cyclical.

Positive or merely hopeful? They haven't been the most generous franchise................
I've said before that Mixon, Boyd and Awuzie are cut/trade/restructure candidates.

Higgins is under contract for next season but is an extension target as well as Burrow. Neither will be terribly expensive next season. The Be gals should have the money to keep any of their FA that they want.

The better discussion might be which FA do they keep and why. Who might be a better FA on the market?

Bengals heading into the 2023 season:

* $224.8 mil will be the NFL Team Salary Cap
* Bengals currently are $43.7 mil under with 41 players under contract for 2023 season.
* Draft Picks: Bengals have all 7 of their picks for 2023 and for 2024. For 2023 they will be picking:
- 1st: 28th overall, 2nd: 60, 3rd: 92, 4th: 131, 5th: 165, 6th: 206, 7th: 248
*** Picks in the 4th round on down will drop further down from an overall standpoint due to compensatory picks getting awarded.
*** Bengals are not projected to receive any compensatory picks for the 2023 draft

* Players on the last year of their Rookie contract
- QB Joe Burrow (age 26): For 2023 Burrow will be a $11.5 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Burrow they will obviously pick up his 5th year option which is projected to be $30.1 mil for 2024. I would expect the Bengals & Burrow to agree to an extension this offseason for something along the lines of 5 year for $250+ mil with $200 mil guaranteed.
* Wr Tee Higgins (age 23): For 2023 Higgins will be a $3.9 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Higgins he will be a unrestricted FA next year. If he signs with someone else next year, Higgins would probably be a 3rd or at worse 4th round compensatory pick for 2024 draft. If Bengals extend Higgins, the top 14 highest paid wr's all make approximately $20 mil per year with about 2/3 of the deal guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $80 mil with $60 mil guaranteed.
* LB Logan Wilson (age 26): For 2023 Wilson will be a $3 mil cap hit. Same as Higgins will be a UFA next year if they do not extend this off season. Top 15 Inside LB's currently make approximately $10 mil per year with about 60% guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $40 mil with $25 mil guaranteed.

* Potential Salary restructures or cap causalities:
- OT La'el Collins (age 29) - For 2023 Collins is a $9.3 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $6 mil with only $3.3 mil dead $$$. He could start the year on IR due to the knee injury so that alone may keep him on the Bengal roster for 2023.
- RB Joe Mixon (age 26) - For 2023 Mixon is a $12.8 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $7.2 mil with $5.5 mil dead $$$. Definitely a restructure candidate because he will 99.99% be cut before the 2024 season where he is a $13.1 mil cap it but if cut a $10.3 mil savings & only $2.7 mil dead $$$.
- CB Chidohe Awuzie (age 26) - For 2023 Awuzie is a $7.9 mil cap it but if cut, would save $6.4 mil with $1.5 mil dead $$$.

The Bengals have cap flexibility for 2023 but beginning in 2024, that will start to erode. Plus, Ja'Marr Chase will be up for either the 5th year option/extension. Chase will cost $27.5-$30 mil per year, it wont be cheap.

As long as Burrow is healthy and upright over the next 7-10+ years, Bengals will be a Super Bowl Contender. Bengals front office has to step up and make correct decisions. Every year they have Burrow the Bengals should draft a OL, Specialty player (RB, WR, TE) and a Defensive player in the first 3 rounds. Don't do what Green Bay did to Rodgers, keep talent around Burrow.
You forgot Bates, Bell and Apple.

Positive or merely hopeful? They haven't been the most generous franchise................
The Browns are not the smartest or richest owners in the NFL by a long shot. But even they know they had better pay Joey B. Best thing that has happened to their franchise since, well, ever...

The Browns are not the smartest or richest owners in the NFL by a long shot. But even they know they had better pay Joey B. Best thing that has happened to their franchise since, well, ever...
He will make them Billions over the course of his career.

Looking at some of the sports commentary, it seems some people are trying to convince Burrow out of Cincinnati. I’m sure the nation is not pleased one of the next generational QBs is in Cincy.

Looking at some of the sports commentary, it seems some people are trying to convince Burrow out of Cincinnati. I’m sure the nation is not pleased one of the next generational QBs is in Cincy.

Based off of a 53 million viewing audience for the KC-Bengal AFC Championship game I would conclude the nation is ok with Burrow & Mahomes being in small market cities. Mahomes had the #3 selling jersey & Burrow the #4 selling jersey this year as well.

Burrow isn’t going anywhere, at worse the Bengals will franchise tag him next off season and go the Dallas-Dak Prescott route. Definitely not the ideal way to handle the situation but Dallas only did so because they weren’t 100% sure of Prescott’s abilities. Everyone knows that Burrow is the real deal. The Bengals & Burrow will come to an agreement and he will be in Cincinnati for a long time.

Last edited:
Extend him, and the Brown Family can charge virtually whatever they want for tickets and luxury suites over the life of the new contract. Burrow has added tremendous value to the Bengals' brand. Let him walk, and most of that value goes right out the window. If unwilling or unable to pay Burrow what the market says he's worth, then the Brown Family might as well sell the team.