Brady says he’s retiring (for real)

Probably still wants to play but may not want to have to do all the offseason stuff that he knows he’d have to do in order to continue to perform well at his age.

I’m no NFL player, but I’ve experienced something similar in my own athletic endeavors. I still enjoy competing but absolutely hate having to train at the level that is required to remain competitive.

Probably still wants to play but may not want to have to do all the offseason stuff that he knows he’d have to do in order to continue to perform well at his age.

I’m no NFL player, but I’ve experienced something similar in my own athletic endeavors. I still enjoy competing but absolutely hate having to train at the level that is required to remain competitive.
I've seen interviews with retired football players - most of them reference off season workouts and training camp as the main reason they chose to retire. The in-season stuff is what they liked about playing, not surprisingly.

It was widely believed that he only wanted to play in Miami or for Sean Payton's next team. Miami just re-committed to Tua, and well, Payton is stuck with Russ, so that's that.

Dang, sounds like it's probably legit this time. You'd think anyways. His NFL career started when I was in 3rd grade and now I'm 31, married and have 2 kids. Gonna be weird for him not to be in the league.

It was widely believed that he only wanted to play in Miami or for Sean Payton's next team. Miami just re-committed to Tua, and well, Payton is stuck with Russ, so that's that.
Interesting timing for sure that his announcement would come less than 24 hours after Payton takes the Broncos job, a la last year when the Broncos traded for Russell Wilson almost immediately after Rodgers announced he was staying in Green Bay.

I don't think any of the teams with HC openings this offseason would've worked for Brady to team up with Payton. Denver is stuck with Wilson's contract, Arizona is stuck with Murray's contract, Payton working for Jim Irsay didn't look like a good fit, and Houston and Carolina's rosters are not championship ready. Payton chose the best of those 5 situations, IMHO. He gets a team with a good defense and a QB he might be able to fix. Reports are that Murray won't be healthy enough to play on opening day, and it sounds like Murray has become a PITA without the playoff success to justify it.

I've seen interviews with retired football players - most of them reference off season workouts and training camp as the main reason they chose to retire. The in-season stuff is what they liked about playing, not surprisingly.
Brady looked like he had not done much of anything last offseason. He's a tall lanky guy but looked even thinner than usual. I'm amazed he was still as productive as he was between that and the beating he took behind his O-Line. That said, there were moments during the season where his body language suggested thoughts of "I came back for this?"

Interesting timing for sure that his announcement would come less than 24 hours after Payton takes the Broncos job, a la last year when the Broncos traded for Russell Wilson almost immediately after Rodgers announced he was staying in Green Bay.

I don't think any of the teams with HC openings this offseason would've worked for Brady to team up with Payton. Denver is stuck with Wilson's contract, Arizona is stuck with Murray's contract, Payton working for Jim Irsay didn't look like a good fit, and Houston and Carolina's rosters are not championship ready. Payton chose the best of those 5 situations, IMHO. He gets a team with a good defense and a QB he might be able to fix. Reports are that Murray won't be healthy enough to play on opening day, and it sounds like Murray has become a PITA without the playoff success to justify it.
Totally agree...

It's time, he should had retired after New England. Won a questioned super bowl during covid. Lost his marriage. Just not a great decsion. Time to move on.

It's time, he should had retired after New England. Won a questioned super bowl during covid. Lost his marriage. Just not a great decsion. Time to move on.
What do you mean by “questioned” Super Bowl?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Payton would be smart to let Wilson have some say in the offense. I really doubt Wilson’s skills declined as much as it looked this year. Payton needs to build a coach/qb relationship like some of the other teams. The last several Super Bowls have been won by those teams.