2022 Cincinnati Bengals

I thought both Burrow's picks were passes underthrown that could have been TD's. As mentioned, Bengals had chances, they just didn't capitalize. The core of this team will be back and I fully expect them to be right back in the thick of things in the AFC, but I'd like to see them get a game changer on defense in free agency, if there are any. The defense is very good, play well as a unit, and have good to very good players across the board, but they just don't have that dynamic, impact making game changer on defense. Love to find someone that impacts the game they way Aaron Donald did last year in the Super Bowl or Chris Jones did last night.

I thought both Burrow's picks were passes underthrown that could have been TD's. As mentioned, Bengals had chances, they just didn't capitalize. The core of this team will be back and I fully expect them to be right back in the thick of things in the AFC, but I'd like to see them get a game changer on defense in free agency, if there are any. The defense is very good, play well as a unit, and have good to very good players across the board, but they just don't have that dynamic, impact making game changer on defense. Love to find someone that impacts the game they way Aaron Donald did last year in the Super Bowl or Chris Jones did last night.
aaron Donald type or Chris jones? when have the bengals EVER spent that type of money on a player... they also have to PAY Burrow and Chase real soon......

Bengals heading into the 2023 season:

* $224.8 mil will be the NFL Team Salary Cap
* Bengals currently are $43.7 mil under with 41 players under contract for 2023 season.
* Draft Picks: Bengals have all 7 of their picks for 2023 and for 2024. For 2023 they will be picking:
- 1st: 28th overall, 2nd: 60, 3rd: 92, 4th: 131, 5th: 165, 6th: 206, 7th: 248
*** Picks in the 4th round on down will drop further down from an overall standpoint due to compensatory picks getting awarded.
*** Bengals are not projected to receive any compensatory picks for the 2023 draft

* Players on the last year of their Rookie contract
- QB Joe Burrow (age 26): For 2023 Burrow will be a $11.5 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Burrow they will obviously pick up his 5th year option which is projected to be $30.1 mil for 2024. I would expect the Bengals & Burrow to agree to an extension this offseason for something along the lines of 5 year for $250+ mil with $200 mil guaranteed.
* Wr Tee Higgins (age 23): For 2023 Higgins will be a $3.9 mil cap hit. If Bengals do not extend Higgins he will be a unrestricted FA next year. If he signs with someone else next year, Higgins would probably be a 3rd or at worse 4th round compensatory pick for 2024 draft. If Bengals extend Higgins, the top 14 highest paid wr's all make approximately $20 mil per year with about 2/3 of the deal guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $80 mil with $60 mil guaranteed.
* LB Logan Wilson (age 26): For 2023 Wilson will be a $3 mil cap hit. Same as Higgins will be a UFA next year if they do not extend this off season. Top 15 Inside LB's currently make approximately $10 mil per year with about 60% guaranteed. Thus, maybe something like a 4 year, $40 mil with $25 mil guaranteed.

* Potential Salary restructures or cap causalities:
- OT La'el Collins (age 29) - For 2023 Collins is a $9.3 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $6 mil with only $3.3 mil dead $$$. He could start the year on IR due to the knee injury so that alone may keep him on the Bengal roster for 2023.
- RB Joe Mixon (age 26) - For 2023 Mixon is a $12.8 mil cap hit but if cut, would save $7.2 mil with $5.5 mil dead $$$. Definitely a restructure candidate because he will 99.99% be cut before the 2024 season where he is a $13.1 mil cap it but if cut a $10.3 mil savings & only $2.7 mil dead $$$.
- CB Chidohe Awuzie (age 26) - For 2023 Awuzie is a $7.9 mil cap it but if cut, would save $6.4 mil with $1.5 mil dead $$$.

The Bengals have cap flexibility for 2023 but beginning in 2024, that will start to erode. Plus, Ja'Marr Chase will be up for either the 5th year option/extension. Chase will cost $27.5-$30 mil per year, it wont be cheap.

As long as Burrow is healthy and upright over the next 7-10+ years, Bengals will be a Super Bowl Contender. Bengals front office has to step up and make correct decisions. Every year they have Burrow the Bengals should draft a OL, Specialty player (RB, WR, TE) and a Defensive player in the first 3 rounds. Don't do what Green Bay did to Rodgers, keep talent around Burrow.
dang that is a heckva breakdown.....

Bengals will be fine, I would think they let Bates go which is a good move IMO as he is just ok and nowhere near as good a player as his agent projects. I would keep Von Bell and I would sign Hurst and Pratt. The rest of the free agents are cheap and role players. I would also cut Mixon, thatwould save quite a chunk, enough to offer both Tee and Burrow extensions and still be under the cap. Draft priorities should be CB, OT in the first two then BPA. Next year if they stay healthy they will be right there again

Last edited:
They
aaron Donald type or Chris jones? when have the bengals EVER spent that type of money on a player... they also have to PAY Burrow and Chase real soon......
They haven’t. I’d just like to see a game changing defensive player. I think it’s a good defense but it’s missing the impact player that puts them over the top. Look at what Roquon Smith did for a Baltimore defense that was maybe middle of the pack before the trade? That kind of impact.

Last edited:
Those things are all true and I love the historical aspect of football - the merger of the AAC & NFL and how the Browns came in and dominated. Many believed the Philadelphia Stars of the old USFL would have been at least a wild card team in the NFL.

How many people were alive in 1964 when the Browns last won a title? That’s 59 years ago. In 2021 the median age in the US was 38.8. In 2021 the US population was around 330 million and about 75 million were 60 or older. Burrow is young, Baltimore & Pittsburgh are solid franchises and Browns are led by a guy who needed rub & tugs from 60+ message therapist for the next 4 years.
And the Browns finished ahead of Baltimore 2 years ago and were ahead of Pittsburgh till the end of the season this year. They beat everyone in the division. They will have upgraded QB play and defense this year.

No one cares about ancient history. Any Browns fan bragging about 4 championships is even more cringe than a Reds fan using the Big Red Machine to say the Reds are a successful franchise.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
Tell me you aren't a sports fan without telling me.

Nobody is bragging about anything. Tradition and history matter.

Tell me you aren't a sports fan without telling me.

Nobody is bragging about anything. Tradition and history matter.
Given that the Browns were winning championships when the NFL was just starting to desegregate, I’d have to assume the level of athleticism on display at that time was woefully inadequate compared to today’s game. I have to say that any NFL championships before the Super Bowl era really don’t matter. Certainly not to anyone under the age of 65.

Army football was at one time a powerhouse in the World War II era, and I don’t hear anyone citing Army championships today. Why? Because it’s totally irrelevant.

Cleveland Browns championship success is as outdated as your Chief Wahoo caricature.

Discussion of the Browns championship pedigree is similar to the discussion about Massillon state championships. The fact that they happened is history, but hardly relevant to the modern way of achieving a championship.
You’re being too generous by saying “hardly relevant.” It’s totally, 100% completely irrelevant.

But hey, at least the Browns won those titles on the field, something the paper champion Massillon Tigers have never accomplished.

Given that the Browns were winning championships when the NFL was just starting to desegregate, I’d have to assume the level of athleticism on display at that time was woefully inadequate compared to today’s game. I have to say that any NFL championships before the Super Bowl era really don’t matter. Certainly not to anyone under the age of 65.

Army football was at one time a powerhouse in the World War II era, and I don’t hear anyone citing Army championships today. Why? Because it’s totally irrelevant.

Cleveland Browns championship success is as outdated as your Chief Wahoo caricature.

Run that chit in here when you win something.

My takeaways from the game:

Inexcusable that it took until the 3rd drive of the game to decide to go max protect. You had to know going into this game that your O line would need help. If a fan like me knew if enough to talk about it in the week leading up to the game then surely the coaching staff could figure it out.

Hayden Hurst dropped a TD pass on the first scoring drive. The ball hit him in the hands. He has to catch it. 4 points left on the field.

The drive to end the half.... no timeouts and the clock ticking at the 6. Spike the ball! You have to know that you only are getting 3 plays at that point. Burn the first down to stop the clock and huddle up to give your team a chance. Instead they throw a jump ball fade that the whole world knew was coming. Another 4 points left on the field.

Final Bengals drive, 2nd and 2. Run the ball for the first down. There was more than a minute left. You have to get the first down or make the Chiefs decide if they want to call a timeout. Neither happened and Burrow gets called for intentional grounding.

Directional punt out of bounds for crying out loud. You can't out kick your coverage down the middle of the field.

And of course, don't get a bone headed PF that puts them in FG range!

Opportunities abounded. You held the Chiefs to the lowest points scored in the last 4 meetings. The Defense did their job. You can't leave points on the field.

Off- season thoughts.

Trade up to get the LT from Georgia in the first round. Move Williams to RT to compete with LC/Jackson/Adeniji. The O line was good the last half of the season when the starters were healthy. Those 5 will likely be back. All are affordable, Williams is the most expensive but he is already guaranteed. At worse he gets beat out by a rookie and is an expensive backup. Cutting him only cost more money to replace him.

The Bengals have more than enough cap space to keep all their guys if they want to.

Off- season thoughts.

Trade up to get the LT from Georgia in the first round. Move Williams to RT to compete with LC/Jackson/Adeniji. The O line was good the last half of the season when the starters were healthy. Those 5 will likely be back. All are affordable, Williams is the most expensive but he is already guaranteed. At worse he gets beat out by a rookie and is an expensive backup. Cutting him only cost more money to replace him.

The Bengals have more than enough cap space to keep all their guys if they want to.

Yes the Bengals will have cap space for 2023 but if they extend all 3 big free agents, assume:
* Burrow - 5 year, $250 mil w/ $200 mil guaranteed
* Higgins - 4 year, $80 mil w/ $60 mil guaranteed
* Wilson - 4 year, $40 mil w/ $25 mil guaranteed

That is $285 mil in guaranteed $$$ for these 3 players which the Brown family would have to come up with 75% in escrow = $213.75 mil. Yea, the Bengals could try to structure Burrow’s contract with various roster bonuses or very reachable incentives to offset some guaranteed $$$ but it’s still going to be a big number that the Brown family will have to come up with.

The drive to end the half.... no timeouts and the clock ticking at the 6. Spike the ball! You have to know that you only are getting 3 plays at that point. Burn the first down to stop the clock and huddle up to give your team a chance. Instead they throw a jump ball fade that the whole world knew was coming. Another 4 points left on the field.
The mis-spot on the Perine catch and run absolutely screwed them on this 2-minute drive. They had to burn the timeout because he didn't get out of bounds, then they ran for the 1st down on 3rd and 1, which caused them to burn their final timeout.

You nailed everything else though. The Hurst "drop" is an extremely tough catch, but you're a professional, gotta make tough catches sometimes and what a dime by Joey B.

Also feel like JB missed Irwin on the crossing route in the endzone with 8 seconds left in the half, AFTER throwing the fade to Higgins instead of spiking it. Can't remember if the pressure forced him to get rid of it sooner or not, but Irwin was heading towards the back pylon for the TD, similar to Boyd's TD against the Chiefs in the regular season last year.

Yes the Bengals will have cap space for 2023 but if they extend all 3 big free agents, assume:
* Burrow - 5 year, $250 mil w/ $200 mil guaranteed
* Higgins - 4 year, $80 mil w/ $60 mil guaranteed
* Wilson - 4 year, $40 mil w/ $25 mil guaranteed

That is $285 mil in guaranteed $$$ for these 3 players which the Brown family would have to come up with 75% in escrow = $213.75 mil. Yea, the Bengals could try to structure Burrow’s contract with various roster bonuses or very reachable incentives to offset some guaranteed $$$ but it’s still going to be a big number that the Brown family will have to come up with.
Yes, I've said all along cap isn't the issue the escrow is.

So a 1966 season super bowl matters. A 1964 title doesn't. Got it...

Stupid take.

Nobody is bragging about those titles. But they were won on the field and count.

Discussion of the Browns championship pedigree is similar to the discussion about Massillon state championships. The fact that they happened is history, but irrelevant to the modern way of achieving a championship.
The Browns won on the field including 2 years before the SB. They weren't poll titles

It would be like me saying only playoff titles count in college football. Those bcs titles won on the field don't count. Different name

Reactions: y2h

The Bengals SB appearances in the 80s were 40 years ago, they are outdated and don't matter.

The Bengals SB appearances in the 80s were 40 years ago, they are outdated and don't matter.
Agreed, I don’t think anyone here has even brought up the Bengals’ 1980s Super Bowl teams until you just did. They have no relevance to the current NFL.

Agreed, I don’t think anyone here has even brought up the Bengals’ 1980s Super Bowl teams until you just did. They have no relevance to the current NFL.

The current NFL?

The league where if you breathe on Tom Brady too hard, you get a roughing the passer penalty?

The league where a DB can hardly touch a guy after the line of scrimmage?

Give me the old days, where a guy in an angry locker room would eat a light bulb in front of his teammates, insult their mamas,
and bash a couple of them over the head with a folding chair. BEFORE the game.