Richmond Heights Post Season Option

Richmond has not had a CB number up until 2 years ago. For anyone to defend what has happened there is a joke. Their school has gone above and beyond to lie about what is actually happening.
Pretty strong, definitive accusation. What exactly are they lying about? Are you saying they have kids transfer in after 7th grade and don't report them for CB?

For real. We didn’t say nothin when Marion Local had a nice run in D4 for a few years. Let these kids play and chill man. It’s not that serious.
Are you comparing Marion Local teams with zero transfers for basketball/football to the situation at Richmond Heights who suddenly had success 4 years ago? You just think that D3 Deer Park teams a couple was homegrown talent too.

No not everybody is doing it. That is just a cop out for the schools that take advantage of the rules or lack of.
Like I’ve said before. People on here turn a blind eye to some of these schools who have move ins that translate to a string of sudden successes and then tell the rest of the legit small school teams to “get good” and for some reason don’t see a problem.

Who would challenge OHSAA if they merely gave an option for them to move up? I guess maybe the folks in D3, D2, or wherever you want to place them.

While we are at it...any other teams you want OHSAA to give options to move up so they can clear space for your team?
Kind of a dumb assumption. I have no D4 team. I was just throwing out a topic for discussion and you act personally offended. You must be a lot of fun at parties. Now that competitive balance is thrown in and divisions are assigned by purposes other than strictly enrollment size special teams like Richmond Heights should have the option to present themselves with a greater and legitimate challenge. It’s like Ohio State football playing in the MAC currently. Winning the D4 championship by 30 would probably mean a little less than winning D2 or D3 by single digits.

Kind of a dumb assumption. I have no D4 team. I was just throwing out a topic for discussion and you act personally offended. You must be a lot of fun at parties. Now that competitive balance is thrown in and divisions are assigned by purposes other than strictly enrollment size special teams like Richmond Heights should have the option to present themselves with a greater and legitimate challenge. It’s like Ohio State football playing in the MAC currently. Winning the D4 championship by 30 would probably mean a little less than winning D2 or D3 by single digits.
Doubtful. Why would any school sacrifice a guaranteed state championship for one they might have to earn?

I think that it would do good for Richmond Heights to move up to Division III with competitive balance. Eventually St. V ended up moving to Division I ahead of this most recent season.

Honestly, the Spartans are just playing the teams on their schedule. Maybe they should go independent for basketball at the very least, while staying in the CVC for other sports. That would be a better benefit than beating lesser talented teams by such lopsided margins. Just my 0.02.

Richmond Heights isn’t a “legit” small school team? All 5 starters live in Richmond.
And have all of them been there the whole time the last couple years? I don’t believe so they’ve had move ins before the last few years. Just because they live there now doesn’t mean anything. They literally had two more transfers come in this year but please go on how they are a traditional small school team.

Richmond Heights isn’t a “legit” small school team? All 5 starters live in Richmond.
How many came up thru the Richmond Heights school system? Any stories of this team playing in Richmond Heights little league together. If any old timers from Richmond Heights have stories of watching this great team grow up together I’d love to hear them. If 4 or 5 starters had no connection to the school system prior to high school then they are simply an AAU team disguised as a high school team.

How many came up thru the Richmond Heights school system? Any stories of this team playing in Richmond Heights little league together. If any old timers from Richmond Heights have stories of watching this great team grow up together I’d love to hear them. If 4 or 5 starters had no connection to the school system prior to high school then they are simply an AAU team disguised as a high school team.
And that’s completely fine. Success and coaching attract talent. Just let them choose to challenge themselves if they’re up for it.

This. Transfers from Benedictine last year and one from Cleveland Heights and another from Solon this year. Rinse and repeat. Plus it al of a sudden started at RH with Rogers being the coach. Weird how that happens.

This. Transfers from Benedictine last year and one from Cleveland Heights and another from Solon this year. Rinse and repeat. Plus it al of a sudden started at RH with Rogers being the coach. Weird how that happens.
Did they Benny transfer really make a difference? They were terrible last year.

And he didn’t play last year at Benedictine. Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suite for you. The Benedictine person played last year for RH and transferred from Benedictine before last year for RH.

Richmond Heights has been a small school boy’s basketball power for decades. They’ve historically done very well. And one of the biggest reason high school hoops has decreased in attendance so much over the last decade is the ridiculous amount of transferring that is all too common. You literally have kids that play for three schools in four years in some instances. Richmond Heights is just playing that game now.

Richmond Heights has been a small school boy’s basketball power for decades. They’ve historically done very well. And one of the biggest reason high school hoops has decreased in attendance so much over the last decade is the ridiculous amount of transferring that is all too common. You literally have kids that play for three schools in four years in some instances. Richmond Heights is just playing that game now.
What defines small school basketball power to you? Their first time being at state was 2019.

What defines small school basketball power to you? Their first time being at state was 2019.
Yeah, power is probably too strong. That implies state power. They have a very good basketball history. I’ll go with that. They’ve obviously stepped it up.

Wrong. Decades??? Maybe a decade starting around 2012. But not a powerhouse every year since.

Wrong. Decades??? Maybe a decade starting around 2012. But not a powerhouse every year since.
I don’t know about that. They had a coach named Phil Schmook through all the 90s and up to about 2007 and they won a ton of games, so they’ve been pretty good for a long time. Solid tradition.

The Benedictine transfers were due to the coach getting fired and RH was actually not the first option for either. They tried getting into another Catholic school but were denied admission because the school does not accept senior transfers.

Both were key rotation players last year for Richmond Heights and one is now at Kent State as a preferred walk on.

Richmond Heights is a tough one for the OHSAA to "police." For one, it's not just Richmond Heights getting transfers. Two, it's a small suburb where most of the children in the district attend private schools (a big chunk on vouchers since Richmond Heights Schools is now on the eligible list), so they legitimately are a Division IV school in enrollment. Third, probably 20 percent of the population lives in a couple of fairly large, lower income apartment complexes that are very easy to make a legitimate move into.

Actually, more I think about it. The person who started this thread would get their wish if Richmond Heights didn't lose so many kids to private schools. They definitely would be at least D3 (maybe even small D2). The city of Richmond Heights is still about 40 percent white, but the school district is about 95 percent black. The only people who seemingly live in Richmond Heights and send their kids to Richmond Heights Schools are the people who live in the mentioned apartment complexes, who mostly moved there from inner city eastside neighborhoods to begin with to get to a safer place (Richmond Heights is majority middle class yet kids in the public schools are deemed 100 percent economically disadvantaged per the ODE). The rest of the city is basically middle class subdivisions, but those families (black, white, Asian, Latino ... its a pretty diverse city overall) can now use the EdChoice expansion program and send their children to one of the many nearby private schools.

Last edited:
I am a lot of fun at parties. Thanks for pointing that out.

What makes Richmond heights special? They don't even have the largest CB number in D4. By a large number it looks like even.

Last edited:
If 4 or 5 starters actually moved into the district what should be done? Looking at their CB numbers if what you claim is true those 4 or 5 can't possibly be living outside the district because their CB number would be higher.

Someone needs to check RH CB numbers again
I have said this for years, but the truth is they have a really bad part of town that you can get shacks/apts. for real cheap. Their Basketball coach is also their AD(And leader of All-Ohio Red) and no ever seems to question him. The OHSAA turns a blind eye to them and has for the past 6-7 seasons.

They can't choose to "challenge themselves"....there is no mechanism for them to do that.
No kidding Captain Obvious. That’s why I brought up the topic. OHSAA could create a mechanism by allowing extremely talented teams in lower divisions that dominated the previous year and already know the glory of a small school championship to step it up if they want to. I think I’ve already said multiple times in my responses…..nothing should be forcibly done by the OHSAA. Just give the option for lower division teams to move up if they feel it’s in the best interest of the development of their players. In Richmond Heights case it clearly would be. Waxing teams by 30 doesn’t help or develop anything