Memphis Police beating suspect

Also misunderstands Mao’s motivations behind the cultural revolution.

The revolution was about Mao regaining control of the CCP/China. Everything else was just what he had to do to get control back.
Lol. Making an argument against a point I didn't make. I did not say Mao and the American Left are precisely the same but that they have the same playbook. This is a pretty weak criticism and dismissal attempt and I will show you why.

The argument isn't that the situations are identical, but that the general means to achieve an end are in respect to educational indoctrination, erasing real history and replacing it, general anarchy to undermine society, attacking religion, tearing down art that memorializes history, etc. - all things we have seen the Left do in very recent times.

A coincidence? Nope. A key to understanding what the American Left is doing, is to look at what their ideological predessessors and heroes, especially Mao, have done in the past. There is nothing new under the sun, and that's particularly true with leftism.

What I don’t understand is that these cops knew they were wearing cameras and they’d be held accountable. They knew there was a city-owned camera on a light pole a few yards away. They knew there’d be witnesses in a suburban neighborhood, likely with cell phone videos. And yet, they beat the life out of a supposed traffic-law violator. Not a rapist, murderer, kidnapper, classified document holder nor any other felonious crime; he was just a bad driver.
It doesn’t make any sense at all.
Talked to my LEOs. They made three points.

The first is what happened prior to the initial stop. How did they identify Nichols as a suspect? Was it called in? Did they stumble upon it? Was there a misidentification (got the wrong car/driver)? The answers here will put the initial stop into a full context. But everyone was confused as to why the first police action was to open the car door and pull Nichols out.

The second point was that most urban departments have an anti-crime aka Scorpion Unit in the case of Memphis. These guys are given more latitude than typical patrol officers. They blend in more and go after the worst of the worst in the city, so they are allowed to play dirtier (within boundaries). But they have to be trained and supervised to know what situations to apply the more brutal tactics and which they have to act conventionally. IOW there is a big difference in making a traffic stop vs. dealing with a drug cartel or gang member. There was shock that they knew their actions were being recorded, yet they seemed celebratory afterward - indicating they thought they had done their job. This indicates a bad culture in that unit due to bad training or improper supervision.

The last point is the relative inexperience of the officers here, which they attribute to the political attacks on police that caused a mass exodus of experienced officers. One experienced officer on the scene could have stopped their behavior before it got to where it went.

so does anyone know how many years these officers have been employed? and how they were hired? what training did they actually have?

This isn't being talked about more because all of the officers are black and doesn't fit the division narrative that democrats and the media want. This is also the outcome of affirmative action in the police force. Listening to all of these black officers speak they sound like gang bangers and their arrest techniques are total trash. You want more black police officers over more qualified candidates? Well, this is what you get.
I would expect the officers on the Memphis police force would represent the racial breakdown of the population of the city.
  • In Memphis 29.61% of the population is White
  • In Memphis 63.64% of the population is Black
  • In Memphis 1.55% of the population is Asian

so does anyone know how many years these officers have been employed? and how they were hired? what training did they actually have?
I have heard that they had 2 years of experience - which isn't much. It means they were rookies just last year. But not sure whether that applies to all 5.

I wonder about the tribal instincts that may have been at play. You know how you and 4 buddies go to a ballgame, and if one of the group is having a problem, all of you have a problem? That's not healthy in a police unit. The first duty is to the law, not your fellow officer. But after that, you have your fellow officers' backs - but that means, among other things, that you make sure they are acting legally and do not allow them to act criminally.

I would expect the officers on the Memphis police force would represent the racial breakdown of the population of the city.
  • In Memphis 29.61% of the population is White
  • In Memphis 63.64% of the population is Black
  • In Memphis 1.55% of the population is Asian
see: post 161

Try to remember which ones as you drive through them…

I THINK that Cleveland PD may be one of them. Several months back cleveland.com did an expose' of sorts on their hiring practices, and either they offered that waiver OR their screening was so lax and lazy that convicted felons were being hired. I don't recall exactly which. Probably doesn't much matter.

see: post 161
You have to be out of your mind to want to be a police officer in a big city under today's condemnation. Making criminals victims is a load of BULL:poop:.....Since Ofoodstamp vilified the police due to sucking up to the demographic that ran to the polls to vote for him due to the color of his skin, that same demographic committing MOST of the crime. Sleepy Joe O'Biden is just as bad pandering to the families of LIFE LONG criminals that just couldnt do what normal people do and obey a lawful order by Police.......instead of RESISTING ARREST ILLEGALLY. Whatever happened in the latest situation in Memphis .....Tyrie .....RAN.........He ran for a reason, the reason being he didnt want to LEGALLY COMPLY....IF he tried to reach for an offices gun, he should have ben shot o the spot NO questions asked, Officers dont have to take a bullet or knife wound or a beating ...to FORCE you to comply. The video looks "bad" BUT we're only earring 1 side of the story for now. .

Ok, so still trying to piece things together. All the officers were black, most were younger. Part of the Scorpion Unit, sent to clean up the streets , I guess. The victim also black, 29 years old, living at home ( due to the pandemic :rolleyes:) has a kid, working most recently at Fed Ex with his dad. Of course Mom says he's a perfect kid.

So...he's pulled over, he fled the scene. Why? Does he have a history with these officers, or a history period. To date, there has been nothing released about his past. record if any.

This just does not add up. And of course we go to the experience and training of the cops. To me, there is no training that comes before common sense. Something made these cops beat the crap out of this kid. He was tall and thin, so I don't think he posed a threat.

Ok, so still trying to piece things together. All the officers were black, most were younger. Part of the Scorpion Unit, sent to clean up the streets , I guess. The victim also black, 29 years old, living at home ( due to the pandemic :rolleyes:) has a kid, working most recently at Fed Ex with his dad. Of course Mom says he's a perfect kid.

So...he's pulled over, he fled the scene. Why? Does he have a history with these officers, or a history period. To date, there has been nothing released about his past. record if any.

This just does not add up. And of course we go to the experience and training of the cops. To me, there is no training that comes before common sense. Something made these cops beat the crap out of this kid. He was tall and thin, so I don't think he posed a threat.
Regardless of Tyre’s situation, he didn’t deserve what he received. It was horrifying to see them stand him up and slug him while he’s defenseless. It’s like these cops thought they were in some kind of movie.
With current video systems, how did any of these cops think for a second that they could just beat the man like they’re in a Tarantino film and not be caught?

I have heard that they had 2 years of experience - which isn't much. It means they were rookies just last year. But not sure whether that applies to all 5.

I wonder about the tribal instincts that may have been at play. You know how you and 4 buddies go to a ballgame, and if one of the group is having a problem, all of you have a problem? That's not healthy in a police unit. The first duty is to the law, not your fellow officer. But after that, you have your fellow officers' backs - but that means, among other things, that you make sure they are acting legally and do not allow them to act criminally.

you are assuming that municipal police actually know "the law."

are you sure you should be making that assumption?

Regardless of Tyre’s situation, he didn’t deserve what he received. It was horrifying to see them stand him up and slug him while he’s defenseless. It’s like these cops thought they were in some kind of movie.
With current video systems, how did any of these cops think for a second that they could just beat the man like they’re in a Tarantino film and not be caught?
because they have done it multiple times before, but the subject didn't die.

and they were protected multiple times before, and it was covered up.

you are assuming that municipal police actually know "the law."

are you sure you should be making that assumption?
Well, I am going to make the assumption that a police officer has had training, both in procedure and law, and has an adequate amount of common sense. If not, their police department failed them by hiring them in the first place, or failed them by not training them well enough, and/or failed them by not supervising them well enough.

True, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible and I'm just waiting for some other evidence to come out. I'll be curious to hear the officers accounts.

Well, I am going to make the assumption that a police officer has had training, both in procedure and law, and has an adequate amount of common sense. If not, their police department failed them by hiring them in the first place, or failed them by not training them well enough, and/or failed them by not supervising them well enough.

and you understand that municipal police departments are trained, hired, screened, supervised, under the organization known as a municipal corporation and subject to no oversight by any entity other than that of the municipal corporation's elected officials? and you understand that there are at least 17,000 separate, independent, policing authorities in the United States, each governed and overseen only by elected and appointed municipal officers?

and that there is NO mandatory requirement that they report ANYTHING to ANYBODY except the aforesaid elected and appointed municipal officials?