OHSAA does not allow kids to play 7on7

Ok, first... I am talking about spring sports overlapping more with spring ball in Ohio because of weather. You know state meets for Texas track are usually early may. If spring ball starts end of April most spring sport athletes are done. Same in Cali and Florida.

Secondly, there is not hundreds of indoor facilities with full football fields and room for spectators being built across Ohio. If so, provide me that information and I'll stand corrected.

Lastly, I am not against 7v7 if you read my post you quoted.
I said everywhere not Ohio only. Sports overlap now in Ohio every season. Football overlaps Basketball, Basketball and Wrestling overlap Baseball.

it’s not a big deal.

I’m not following you here?
He is from ohio. He didn't have 7v7 in the spring. Yet he got recruited. He won the national title. He won the Heisman. Was a first pick in NFL. Played in a super bowl (hopefully 2)....

Lack of 7v7 didn't hold him back. How so?

I keep harping on the double standard of every other sport having ability to play year round but a ton of rules for football. Alos, the south get 3 years of spring practice which is like 60 more practices for the kids to hone their skills and be better player for shot at scholarships. Plus, college can go see practices and scrimmage games in person during spring instead of just doing eye test which gives southern players a upper hand to northern players.
The south has 70 degree days throughout the winter, I am sure college coaches from all over would love to come in and watch a bunch of kids go through drills and practices in February in Ohio with 3 inches of snow on the ground. The argument that Georgia and Texas and so on has spring football so why can't we is simple, in those areas their spring sports teams are already practicing they will begin paying games next month, their tournaments are over by May they have all of May to do a spring football. To say that Football doesn't go year round is ridiculous, no coach has their hands on their program or the attention of their players more than football, they already have in the weight room, since December, they can have throwing sessions from now until the start of the season, come June 1 they will have all of their kids all summer long until the season ends in November. Unless you think it is fair to cut from the other season's schedules, there just isn't a time frame allowable for spring football.

I cringe every time they have Doug Ute as a guest on that show because it quickly becomes clear that Bobby goes into that interview looking to pick a fight.
Same. Bobby is 75% right on OHSAA issues, but has no interest in learning the other 25% and doesn’t have the attitude to actually make any change.

I said everywhere not Ohio only. Sports overlap now in Ohio every season. Football overlaps Basketball, Basketball and Wrestling overlap Baseball.

it’s not a big deal.
We aren't talking the same thing here. Many basketball teams will postpone games if their team makes it into the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs in football.

I am saying that in most of these southern states, the state title games and matches are finishing 1st weekend of May. Spring ball in some of those states starts in late April and May. You have a better chance of getting most of your players involved in those practices and typically many of the players the almighty college coaches want to see are multiple sport athletes anyway and likely run track. So you would want them there.

Also in Ohio, we have many smaller districts than the larger county style school districts they have in southern states. There is likely less 3 sport type kids because of it. Many smaller schools, likely, some d3's but D4's and lower will struggle to get a lot of kids out for their spring practices if they are in the middle of spring sports season.

However, like I have said before, I am all for them allowing club 7v7 in the winter and spring, if they want to allow for spring football practices I would be okay with that as well. I am just trying to give reasons as to why there has been hang ups with it here in Ohio. I mean, freaking baseball is insanse with year round games and travel teams. Why not open it to football.

The question that needs to answered is this: Is HS football about catering to college football coaches or is it about the hidden curriculum things that kids get from playing the greatest team sport there is? I think that is also something the OHSAA considers... lets be honest, until they find a way to make money on all this stuff, it won't happen.

Same. Bobby is 75% right on OHSAA issues, but has no interest in learning the other 25% and doesn’t have the attitude to actually make any change.
He is great at starting the conversation by throwing something out there and hoping it sticks, but when it comes to actually figuring it out he always just says that's for them to figure out.

Lack of an interest in 7 on 7 in Ohio, may be the reason for the disparity between the talent levels in your state and states in the SEC.

Have you ever heard of Ladd McConkey? He was a walk on at UGA, and he'll one day be playing on SUNDAY! And he garnered interest from 7 on 7 in the North Georgia hills. And he lived closer to Knoxville than Athens.***ROTFLMAO***
so what

7 on 7 during winter months should be allowed because Ohio already is behind southern states who get an extra 50 practices in 3 years of spring ball. 7 on 7 helps qbs get the numerous reps needed to be an elite passer.
Southern schools are set up different (mega schools), majority of Ohio schools have multisport athletes, other than d 1 schools this could never work in ohio. 7v7 or spring football

This is one the sport that hasnt been ruined by privatized travel ball, you see how awful pee wee football is, imagine it at the high school level with the same idiots.
Let's please keep the idiots out of our state. I saw a twitter account that is a travel 7on7 team that created a petition to allow athletes in Ohio participate in out of state 7on7 tournaments and teams. Let's not allow these snakes, thieves, and CRIMINALS into our state.

Sports in school is supposed to be educational.
Then every student should be guaranteed acceptance to a school team in their chosen sport or you are depriving those select students, cut from teams, their educational opportunity.

Then every student should be guaranteed acceptance to a school team in their chosen sport or you are depriving those select students, cut from teams, their educational opportunity.
Every kid that wants the lead in the school play doesn't get it.

Every kid that wants to be FFA President doesn't get it.

Every kid that wants to enroll in Honors Algebra II-Trig or Honors Advanced Physics doesn't get in.

Kids that apply to our technical school might not get their first choice for programs, or might not get in at all.

If they get cut from their sport they can practice, get better, and try out again next year. That's educational.

Or they can go out for a different sport that doesn't have cuts. That provides an education opportunity too.

You lose.

Every kid that wants to enroll in Honors Algebra II-Trig or Honors Advanced Physics doesn't get in.

Kids that apply to our technical school might not get their first choice for programs, or might not get in at all.

If they get cut from their sport they can practice, get better, and try out again next year. That's educational.

Or they can go out for a different sport that doesn't have cuts. That provides an education opportunity too.

You lose.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

You lose.
Honors Trig? are you insane? Who wants to do that to themselves? :ROFLMAO:

He is from ohio. He didn't have 7v7 in the spring. Yet he got recruited. He won the national title. He won the Heisman. Was a first pick in NFL. Played in a super bowl (hopefully 2)....

Lack of 7v7 didn't hold him back. How so?
Yes, he's done great. Not saying kids can't do well without 7 v 7 or spring football, what I'm saying is that it would help them develop that much better/faster while in high school. Ohio kids are much farther behind in development than the southern states. As good as Burrow is he did not come into his own until his 5th year in college.

Not as educational as being part of a taxpayer funded team.
If they get cut from their sport they can practice, get better, and try out again next year.

If they get cut from volleyball they can run cross country.

If they get cut from golf they can go out for football.

If they get cut from basketball they can go out for wrestling.

If they get cut from baseball or softball they can go out for track.

If they get cut from their sport they can practice, get better, and try out again next year.

If they get cut from volleyball they can run cross country.

If they get cut from golf they can go out for football.

If they get cut from basketball they can go out for wrestling.

If they get cut from baseball or softball they can go out for track.
All I see from your post is they can choose something else that is not equivalent. Or if they were not a starting wideout or db they should practice more to get better. It almost feels like you are saying they should be able to choose something like club 7 on 7 football. In that case I agree with you.

Do you feel a little stupid that 80% of their players come from inside that circle? Jalen Carter, Stetson Bennett, Arian Smith, Smael Mondon. Georgias best players all come that area. The back to back national champs by the way.
80% may be a little low to be honest. I'd argue 80% come not within that circle but Georgia specifically. Probably more like 90% within the circle.

Some may argue that raw numbers could play a role as well. Atlanta and it's metro area is / has been booming for quite some time. All the kids playing ball now are the product of the mass migration to the Atlanta metro area pre- and post- 1996 Olympics.

Last edited: