OHSAA does not allow kids to play 7on7

I keep harping on the double standard of every other sport having ability to play year round but a ton of rules for football. Alos, the south get 3 years of spring practice which is like 60 more practices for the kids to hone their skills and be better player for shot at scholarships. Plus, college can go see practices and scrimmage games in person during spring instead of just doing eye test which gives southern players a upper hand to northern players.

I keep harping on the double standard of every other sport having ability to play year round but a ton of rules for football. Alos, the south get 3 years of spring practice which is like 60 more practices for the kids to hone their skills and be better player for shot at scholarships. Plus, college can go see practices and scrimmage games in person during spring instead of just doing eye test which gives southern players a upper hand to northern players.
Their true spring sports are done by May in the south in most states (at least texas and the southeast). Spring ball can occur for those kids because they are done. Makes it easier.

Also, I think Florida and Georgia have great players but their HS football sucks in comparison to how it's run, the quality from top to bottom, and it's essentially thr wild west like college football is now and I would prefer Ohio not go that direction.

However, they should offer 7v7 in the winter and spring just like we have travel baseball, aau basketball (I've seen kids literally finish HS basketball and go right into AAU in the spring), soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, and even club wrestling.

The weather in Ohio creates a more cramped spring ball schedule. College coaches like it because they can get to practices in the spring easier than the fall.

Could you do June ball instead of Spring ball? Start June 1st and go for 3 weeks. Return after July 4th for "camp" and start 2-a-days the Monday you are allowed? This avoids conflicts with spring sports (yes I know State Track and State Baseball are in early June) and still allows for the extra practices like spring ball? As for 7 on 7, its not true football so the comparisons to AAU, JO Volleyball, club soccer, and travel baseball don't really hold up. That said, if a kid wants to go do that instead of spending time lifting, running, and building relationships with his teammates then the OHSAA probably shouldn't stop him.

And all their players come from inside that circle? No.

And no high school players from inside that circle play college ball elsewhere? No.

Do you feel a little bit stupid now? You should.
Do you feel a little stupid that 80% of their players come from inside that circle? Jalen Carter, Stetson Bennett, Arian Smith, Smael Mondon. Georgias best players all come that area. The back to back national champs by the way.

Could you do June ball instead of Spring ball? Start June 1st and go for 3 weeks. Return after July 4th for "camp" and start 2-a-days the Monday you are allowed? This avoids conflicts with spring sports (yes I know State Track and State Baseball are in early June) and still allows for the extra practices like spring ball? As for 7 on 7, its not true football so the comparisons to AAU, JO Volleyball, club soccer, and travel baseball don't really hold up. That said, if a kid wants to go do that instead of spending time lifting, running, and building relationships with his teammates then the OHSAA probably shouldn't stop him.
Why can’t the kids do both. Lifting, running, and building relationships with his teammates and playing 7v7? 7v7 teams usually practice on weekends and play 4-5 tournaments all on the weekends. Spring 7v7 is not a school sponsored thing except during the summer practice period. I am talking club 7v7. Pretty much every ESPN top 300 skilled player in the country plays 7v7 unless they are playing basketball. It’s not a real sport but it’s a great tool for ball skills and competition. Spring ball is a different matter.

So what about all of the states outside of that red oval that do allow 7 on 7? What’s their excuse?

and the one state outside of that red oval to win a title is….who again? Can’t recall. Must’ve been from a state that is great and allows 7 on 7 though.
Not saying that 7 on 7 or spring football is the end all be all but it definitely helps. Never going to get better genetically engineered people in the Midwest but we can do better developing at what we do have.

Helps what specifically? In order to be successful in Ohio, high school football, you have to do 2 things. Stop the run and run the football. So, people want to add spring ball to help defeat Georgia? Alabama? Help what specifically is what I don't understand and once again there is NOT a talent issue in Ohio.

Some volleyball players play beach. Soccer and lacrosse also play indoor matches. Guess those aren't true sports either. Still allowed though.
Wasn't actually trying to say that 7 on 7 isn't a sport. Just saying that we aren't comparing apples to apples.

Why can’t the kids do both. Lifting, running, and building relationships with his teammates and playing 7v7? 7v7 teams usually practice on weekends and play 4-5 tournaments all on the weekends. Spring 7v7 is not a school sponsored thing except during the summer practice period. I am talking club 7v7. Pretty much every ESPN top 300 skilled player in the country plays 7v7 unless they are playing basketball. It’s not a real sport but it’s a great tool for ball skills and competition. Spring ball is a different matter.
I mean they can but if we are approaching this from a pure skill and recruitment improvement perspective, I can use that lifting time to be working on other things that benefit me in the sport (7 on 7) I am currently playing.

Wasn't actually trying to say that 7 on 7 isn't a sport. Just saying that we aren't comparing apples to apples.
7v7 is just as much as real football as 5v5 indoor lacrosse/Soccer is. It’s about the kids getting better. This shouldn’t be an argument. Ohio needs 7v7/spring ball. It doesn’t even need to be OHSAA but at least allow aau or club tournaments.

7v7 is just as much as real football as 5v5 indoor lacrosse/Soccer is. It’s about the kids getting better. This shouldn’t be an argument. Ohio needs 7v7/spring ball. It doesn’t even need to be OHSAA but at least allow aau or club tournaments.
I agree the kids should be able to do this if they want. I don't agree that ohio "needs" it though.

No it doesn't.

I would love someone to ask Bobby why he hasn’t lambasted said school, or any school for that matter, for not filing a petition to have the rule changed, instead of only blaming the OHSAA. Easier to just shout than actually work towards what you want, I guess.
I cringe every time they have Doug Ute as a guest on that show because it quickly becomes clear that Bobby goes into that interview looking to pick a fight.

Football is to be played and enjoyed in doses. I don't understand the vitriol half the time. 7 on 7 will not magically lead to new scholarships. Roughly the same amount of people get the same scholarships regardless of whether 7 on 7 is played or not. Either you have the measurables, or you don't. 7 on 7 will not make a kid run a 4'3 and squat 700 lbs. Some of you sound like tournament promoters trying to lobby for a new market to exploit.

The OHSAA does allow kids to play 7 on 7. The OHSFCA even hosts a huge tournament every year.

What they don't do is allow kids to play on an AAU team in something that is not even a real sport during the time they would be with their own teams
Hahahahahahah the dumbest sh?t said.

Football is to be played and enjoyed in doses. I don't understand the vitriol half the time. 7 on 7 will not magically lead to new scholarships. Roughly the same amount of people get the same scholarships regardless of whether 7 on 7 is played or not. Either you have the measurables, or you don't. 7 on 7 will not make a kid run a 4'3 and squat 700 lbs. Some of you sound like tournament promoters trying to lobby for a new market to exploit.
7v7 does improve QB and WR play in todays game. Don’t be a fool. All the big football states From California to Florida allow it. Yet here we are talking like they don’t

Their true spring sports are done by May in the south in most states (at least texas and the southeast). Spring ball can occur for those kids because they are done. Makes it easier.

Also, I think Florida and Georgia have great players but their HS football sucks in comparison to how it's run, the quality from top to bottom, and it's essentially thr wild west like college football is now and I would prefer Ohio not go that direction.

However, they should offer 7v7 in the winter and spring just like we have travel baseball, aau basketball (I've seen kids literally finish HS basketball and go right into AAU in the spring), soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, and even club wrestling.

The weather in Ohio creates a more cramped spring ball schedule. College coaches like it because they can get to practices in the spring easier than the fall.
You must miss the hundreds of indoor facilities being built nearly everywhere.
I live near at least 3 100 yard indoor football fields.

excuse after excuse.

if it’s ok to play the state championships in the December cold. It should be ok for kids to play 7v7 afterwards around the state.

You must miss the hundreds of indoor facilities being built nearly everywhere.
I live near at least 3 100 yard indoor football fields.

excuse after excuse.

if it’s ok to play the state championships in the December cold. It should be ok for kids to play 7v7 afterwards around the state.
Ok, first... I am talking about spring sports overlapping more with spring ball in Ohio because of weather. You know state meets for Texas track are usually early may. If spring ball starts end of April most spring sport athletes are done. Same in Cali and Florida.

Secondly, there is not hundreds of indoor facilities with full football fields and room for spectators being built across Ohio. If so, provide me that information and I'll stand corrected.

Lastly, I am not against 7v7 if you read my post you quoted.

I don’t give a rip about making Ohio players more competitive with those of other states, whether 7 on 7 is ‘real football’, or college recruiting in general.

However, I also don’t understand why 7v7s are forbidden and (nearly?) every other sport’s participants are allowed to practice their sport in the offseason. Maybe I’m missing something?

With that said, why isn’t the OHSAA getting pressured by it‘s member schools to change the rule?