Elder Basketball 2022-2023

What does the starting 5 look like this year? Brownie, Whitmer, Tyler Johnson I would think for sure.

Cam Wiliams? Todd Tieman? Murphy? Is Zach Gutekunst still playing? Any surprises make the team?

C- Browne
PF- Johnson
SG- Williams
SG- Murphy
PG- Whitmer

A very good starting 5, but the bench might be a little thin.

Ball handling will be a problem against teams that like to pressure. They should have a good year though.

I think Boeing will be up on Varsity as a Soph to add depth to the Front Court.

Just read an article from the Enquirer on this years top 23 Ohio boys basketball players and 27 honorable mentions. Of the supposed top 50 players in the state this year none are from the GCL. Is this apparently a rare down year for the GCL?

Just read an article from the Enquirer on this years top 23 Ohio boys basketball players and 27 honorable mentions. Of the supposed top 50 players in the state this year none are from the GCL. Is this apparently a rare down year for the GCL?
I wouldn’t worry about it. The Enquirer doesn’t do a lot of research into any of their HS preseason material.

1st game is Saturday vs Roger Bacon at Elder. No surprises on the roster. The expected starting 5 is high quality but I’m interested to see how JS manages his bench. I think Boeing could be a big contributor as a Soph off the bench.

Moe loses by 20 vs Princeton and LaSalle lost by 30 vs Fairfield. Moe was playing without Land but the GMC is very good this year.

Moe loses by 20 vs Princeton and LaSalle lost by 30 vs Fairfield. Moe was playing without Land but the GMC is very good this year.
How good is Roger Bacon supposed to be? They played Elder pretty tough last year.

Middle of the pack GCL small school. They have a brand new Coach as well.
What’s Neal doing? I know he announced he was stepping down early last yr, but if he’s got time, he’d be a good add to Elder’s staff.

Look good early, dominating Bacon. Only thing Id like to see improve is 3 pt shooting. Hopefully, that improves as the season goes on.

What’s Neal doing? I know he announced he was stepping down early last yr, but if he’s got time, he’d be a good add to Elder’s staff.
His son graduated and he stepped down. He won't take any job IMO unless LaSalle opened up and wanted him.

Browne and Whitmer are first team GCL players. Whitmer has a chance to be GCL player of the year.

Would like to see more out of Johnson but the potential is there. He needs to slow down when the ball comes his way (quite a few unnecessary fouls and turnovers.)

Gutekunst will bring toughness and defend. Murphy is solid and Williams is VERY good. Especially for a sophomore.

This is the core of the team.

As much as Joe likes to sub, they need to find two rotational players who can emerge, step up, fill the gaps. Someone who is athletic enough to score 4-6 points off the bench when he gets his chances.

Fun group to watch so far.

Last edited:
Browne and Whitmer are first team GCL players. Whitmer has a chance to be GCL player of the year.

Would like to see more out of Johnson but the potential is there. He needs to slow down when the ball comes his way (quite a few unnecessary fouls and turnovers.)

Gutekunst will bring toughness and defend. Murphy is solid and Williams is VERY good. Especially for a sophomore.

This is the core of the team.

As much as Joe likes to sub, they need to find one or two players rotational who can emerge, step up, fill the gaps. Someone who is athletic enough to score 4-6 points off the bench when he gets his chances.

Fun group to watch so far.
Still think they’re going to need Boeing off the bench. They don’t have any size outside of Johnson & Browne

Still think they’re going to need Boeing off the bench. They don’t have any size outside of Johnson & Browne
If Browne and Johnson get into real foul trouble, they certainly will need another big to absorb quality minutes.

Having said that, Whitmer is not small. Murphy and Williams are skinny, but they are not short either. This group is actually taller than most Elder teams.

I know it will change, but is the starting 5. Brownie, Whitmer, Murphy, Cam Williams, and Tyler Johnson?

Maybe Gutekunst and Tieman, Brass the first couple of the bench?