OSU @ CKLV December 2-3

Mekhi hasn't been able to score as well since the injury in my opinion. Can get shut down by a positionally strong wrestler. 3 points against Ethan Smith, 3 against Foca, only a 4-2 win against Lautt at NCAAs.

2018, 28-2 RS.
2018, FS Junior World Champion.
2019, 28-2 NCAA National Champ.
2020, 0-0 Injury.
2021, 10-2
2022, 24-2 NCAA National Runner- Up.

Last edited:
1 Nebraska 137.5
2 NC State 127.5
3 South Dakota State 123
4 Michigan 96.5
5 Northern Iowa 96
6 Arizona State 89
7 Cornell 83.5
8 Ohio State 82.5

Sasso wins 7-2 . 149 Champ.

Sammy had a good weekend. Nice to see. Well done.
Yes indeed. I was pleased that he beat Parco 6-2, because his previous meetings with Parco have been closer: 11-10 at 2021 NCAA's (barely beat him at the end), and a sudden victory 5-1 win at 2022 NCAA's.

2018, 28-2 RS.
2018, FS Junior World Champion.
2019, 28-2 NCAA National Champ.
2020, 0-0 Injury.
2021, 10-2
2022, 24-2 NCAA National Runner- Up.
He's a very good wrestler. And will probably place top 3 this year. But if you would have asked me who is making the Olympic team in 2024 at 74kg in April of 2019 I would have said Mekhi Lewis. I don't believe that anymore

125 Malik 5th. Figueroa to win. NAILED IT.
133 Mendez 4th or Bouzakis 6th or Koontz doesn't place. Vitali to win. NAILED IT.
141 D'Emilio 3rd. Crook to win. NOPE.
149 Sasso Champ. Got the champ. SASSO WINS.
157 Paddy 5th. Robb to win. Got the champ. ROBB WINS.
165 Kharchla Champ or Hepner 7th. NOPE.
174 Smith 3rd. Mekhi to win. NOPE.
184 Romero 3rd. Hidlay to win. Got the champ. HIDLAY WINS.
197 Hoffman 3rd. Sloan to win. NOPE.
285 Orndorff the Assassin 3rd. Parris to win. Got the champ. PARRIS WINS.

6 of 10 champs. 2 of 8 Buckeyes.

@bdhof, Shouldn't I get a tiny trophy or a certificate of some sort? 🤷‍♂️

On paper, the Buckeyes were projected to win the event even without two of their starters. They entered the tournament with 8 wrestlers seeded in the top 6. Unfortunately for Buckeye fans, only 1 of the 8 wrestlers (Sasso) wrestled up to their seed, 0 of the 8 out placed their seed, and 3 of the 8 guys seeded in the top 6 did not place in the top 8. Maybe MOST concerning is that out of their 10 starters it would APPEAR that half of them (133, 157, 165, 175, and 285) are injured to the extent that they cannot compete and its only December 4th. Its Division I College Wrestling, guys get banged up, I get it. However, as a Buckeye fan it seems that either Ohio State guys get banged up at a greater clip than the rest of the top teams OR maybe they take more precautions than others… Regardless this has to be considered a BAD weekend for the wrestling Bucks.

125: Heinselman – Went in as the 4 seed. Loses first round, but ends up going 6-2 to finish 5th and avenged that first round loss. Though he finished below his seed, good to see him battle back and finish the tournament out.

133: Koontz – 1-2. Nothing shocking here. Assuming Mendez is injured – do we have any idea his prognosis?

141: D’Emillio – Went in as the 6 seed and ended up finishing 4-3 and 8th place. Like Heinselman, finished below his seed, but glad he was able to finish the tournament out.

149: Sasso – Has had a somewhat rocky start to his last season as a Buckeye, but he went in as the #1 seed and earned a 1st place finish looking good in the process – GREAT to see for Buckeye fans.

157: No wrestler entered. Assuming Gallagher is injured – do we have any idea his prognosis?

165: Kharchla – Carson was the #1 seed and won his first 2 matches before getting pinned by the 9 seed (who is clearly very dangerous and ended up hitting the finals). Carson dropped down and won 1 more match to lock up a top 8 placement and then medically defaults out. As someone who thinks/thought Carson belongs in the upper echelon of guys at his weight, it seems that he is constantly battling injuries and always looks banged up.

174: Smith – Went in as the 4 seed and won his first two matches (avenging an earlier loss) before losing in the quarters and medically defaulting out of the tournament.

184: Romero – Went in as the 3 seed and ended up hitting the semis where he lost to Hidlay (the 3 seed who won the tournament) and then ended up finishing 4th losing in overtime to Bolen who he has already wrestled 3 times this season. All 3 matches have been close, with Romero winning the first two (including on the front side of the bracket in this tournament).

197: Hoffman – Went in as the 3 seed and went 2-2 and DNP.

285: Orndorff – Went in as the 5 seed, went 3-1 and then medically defaulted out of the tournament and DNP.

@BracketBuster1, Thanks for the write up. Appreciate the effort and your thoughts. (y)
Not sure if OSU were favorites with only eight wrestlers?

FLO Predictions (only ones I could find in print).

125 Predictions: 1) Mike DeAugustino, 2) Brandon Kaylor, 3) Richie Figueroa, 4) Matt Ramos.
133 Predictions: 1) Vitali Arujua, 2) Michael McGee, 3) Jesse Mendez, 4) Chris Cannon. No OSU wrestler entered.
141 Predictions: 1) Vince Cornella, 2) Ryan Jack, 3) Dylan D’Emilio 4) Tom Crook.
149 Predictions: 1) Sammy Sasso, 2) Yahya Thomas, 3) Jonathan Millner, 4) Caleb Henson.
157 Predictions: 1) Peyton Robb, 2) Will Lewan, 3) Bryce Andonian, 4) Ed Scott. No OSU wrestler entered.
165 Predictions: 1) Carson Kharchla, 2) Joshua Ogunanya, 3) Julian Ramirez, 4) Tanner Cook. Kharchla - M For.
174 Predictions: 1) Mekhi Lewis, 2) Mikey Labriola, 3) Ethan Smith, 4) Demetrius Romero. Smith - M For.
184 Predictions: 1) Parker Keckeisen, 2) Trent Hidlay, 3) Kaleb Romero, 4) Finesilver.
197 Predictions: 1) Tanner Sloan, 2) Isaac Trumble; 3) Gavin Hoffman; 4) Kordell Norfleet.
285 Predictions: 1) Mason Parris, 2) Cohlton Schultz, 3) Slavikouski; 4) Tate Orndorff. Orndorff - M For.

Last edited:
On paper, the Buckeyes were projected to win the event even without two of their starters. They entered the tournament with 8 wrestlers seeded in the top 6. Unfortunately for Buckeye fans, only 1 of the 8 wrestlers (Sasso) wrestled up to their seed, 0 of the 8 out placed their seed, and 3 of the 8 guys seeded in the top 6 did not place in the top 8. Maybe MOST concerning is that out of their 10 starters it would APPEAR that half of them (133, 157, 165, 175, and 285) are injured to the extent that they cannot compete and its only December 4th. Its Division I College Wrestling, guys get banged up, I get it. However, as a Buckeye fan it seems that either Ohio State guys get banged up at a greater clip than the rest of the top teams OR maybe they take more precautions than others… Regardless this has to be considered a BAD weekend for the wrestling Bucks.

125: Heinselman – Went in as the 4 seed. Loses first round, but ends up going 6-2 to finish 5th and avenged that first round loss. Though he finished below his seed, good to see him battle back and finish the tournament out.

133: Koontz – 1-2. Nothing shocking here. Assuming Mendez is injured – do we have any idea his prognosis?

141: D’Emillio – Went in as the 6 seed and ended up finishing 4-3 and 8th place. Like Heinselman, finished below his seed, but glad he was able to finish the tournament out.

149: Sasso – Has had a somewhat rocky start to his last season as a Buckeye, but he went in as the #1 seed and earned a 1st place finish looking good in the process – GREAT to see for Buckeye fans.

157: No wrestler entered. Assuming Gallagher is injured – do we have any idea his prognosis?

165: Kharchla – Carson was the #1 seed and won his first 2 matches before getting pinned by the 9 seed (who is clearly very dangerous and ended up hitting the finals). Carson dropped down and won 1 more match to lock up a top 8 placement and then medically defaults out. As someone who thinks/thought Carson belongs in the upper echelon of guys at his weight, it seems that he is constantly battling injuries and always looks banged up.

174: Smith – Went in as the 4 seed and won his first two matches (avenging an earlier loss) before losing in the quarters and medically defaulting out of the tournament.

184: Romero – Went in as the 3 seed and ended up hitting the semis where he lost to Hidlay (the 3 seed who won the tournament) and then ended up finishing 4th losing in overtime to Bolen who he has already wrestled 3 times this season. All 3 matches have been close, with Romero winning the first two (including on the front side of the bracket in this tournament).

197: Hoffman – Went in as the 3 seed and went 2-2 and DNP.

285: Orndorff – Went in as the 5 seed, went 3-1 and then medically defaulted out of the tournament and DNP.

Sounds like the Buckeyes are battling some injuries through out the line up.

@BracketBuster1, Thanks for the write up. Appreciate the effort and your thoughts. (y)
Not sure if OSU were favorites with only eight wrestlers?

FLO Predictions (only ones I could find in print).

125 Predictions: 1) Mike DeAugustino, 2) Brandon Kaylor, 3) Richie Figueroa, 4) Matt Ramos.
133 Predictions: 1) Vitali Arujua, 2) Michael McGee, 3) Jesse Mendez, 4) Chris Cannon. No OSU wrestler entered.
141 Predictions: 1) Vince Cornella, 2) Ryan Jack, 3) Dylan D’Emilio 4) Tom Crook.
149 Predictions: 1) Sammy Sasso, 2) Yahya Thomas, 3) Jonathan Millner, 4) Caleb Henson.
157 Predictions: 1) Peyton Robb, 2) Will Lewan, 3) Bryce Andonian, 4) Ed Scott. No OSU wrestler entered.
165 Predictions: 1) Carson Kharchla, 2) Joshua Ogunanya, 3) Julian Ramirez, 4) Tanner Cook. Kharchla - M For.
174 Predictions: 1) Mekhi Lewis, 2) Mikey Labriola, 3) Ethan Smith, 4) Demetrius Romero. Smith - M For.
184 Predictions: 1) Parker Keckeisen, 2) Trent Hidlay, 3) Kaleb Romero, 4) Finesilver.
197 Predictions: 1) Tanner Sloan, 2) Isaac Trumble; 3) Gavin Hoffman; 4) Kordell Norfleet.
285 Predictions: 1) Mason Parris, 2) Cohlton Schultz, 3) Slavikouski; 4) Tate Orndorff. Orndorff - M For.

They entered 9 wrestlers (Koontz went at 133) and 8 of the 9 were seeded in the top 6. If seeds held true, the Buckeyes would have won this tournament but like I said, 7 of the 8 Buckeyes seeded failed to wrestle to their seed. No matter which way you slice it, this weekend was NOT a good weekend for the Bucks.

They entered 9 wrestlers (Koontz went at 133) and 8 of the 9 were seeded in the top 6. If seeds held true, the Buckeyes would have won this tournament but like I said, 7 of the 8 Buckeyes seeded failed to wrestle to their seed. No matter which way you slice it, this weekend was NOT a good weekend for the Bucks.
Gotcha.
I'm not slicing it. It was NOT a good weekend for the Bucks. Appreciate the write up. Always nice to have.

Different year, same results.
How do you not have a wrestler entered in a weight class? All the guys at that weight injured(wouldn’t surprise me)?

He's on RS and listed at 49. I'm in agreement with filling the spot fwiw.
I just hate seeing an empty weight at a wrestling school like Ohio state.
Btw. Thanks for your updates and analysis. Used to get them from you on themat.com, but…well…you know.

125 Malik 5th. Figueroa to win. NAILED IT.
133 Mendez 4th or Bouzakis 6th or Koontz doesn't place. Vitali to win. NAILED IT.
141 D'Emilio 3rd. Crook to win. NOPE.
149 Sasso Champ. Got the champ. SASSO WINS.
157 Paddy 5th. Robb to win. Got the champ. ROBB WINS.
165 Kharchla Champ or Hepner 7th. NOPE.
174 Smith 3rd. Mekhi to win. NOPE.
184 Romero 3rd. Hidlay to win. Got the champ. HIDLAY WINS.
197 Hoffman 3rd. Sloan to win. NOPE.
285 Orndorff the Assassin 3rd. Parris to win. Got the champ. PARRIS WINS.

6 of 10 champs. 2 of 8 Buckeyes.

@bdhof, Shouldn't I get a tiny trophy or a certificate of some sort? 🤷‍♂️

🏆
It's tiny but that's what you asked for. 🤣

Last edited:
@bdhof

Let me just move that tiny plate.
1670280696465.png