2022 St. Edward Football

I h
Can Franzinger bring the juice to the football program like Joyce has for the hoops team?
I hope not through transfers but I believe he will.

He starts having accomplished nothing. Kyle won the 11 titles.

Franzinger will make his own mark. It will take a few years but I believe the Cats will return to glory. Again not next season. Eagles will win again in 23.

I h
I hope not through transfers but I believe he will.

He starts having accomplished nothing. Kyle won the 11 titles.

Franzinger will make his own mark. It will take a few years but I believe the Cats will return to glory. Again not next season. Eagles will win again in 23.
Id love nothing more than to see Ignatius continue on a spiral downwards. Personally I don’t see anything changing soon , The entire program needs fresh blood injected into it and I don’t think Franzinger is it. Much like Finotti did brought to Ed’s when he came in.

Id love nothing more than to see Ignatius continue on a spiral downwards. Personally I don’t see anything changing soon , The entire program needs fresh blood injected into it and I don’t think Franzinger is it. Much like Finotti did brought to Ed’s when he came in.
We'll see how things shake out over the next few years. We thought things would never change either.

Congrats to Lombo and the 2022 Eagles. One of the more physically dominating performances we’ve seen at this stage. Can’t say much more about Kilbane and Gedeon. In their chase to one-up each other and chase O’Malley’s single-season sack record, they both finish the season with 19.5 (a half sack short). Best of luck to those two at the next level. Kudos to the secondary as well. They’ve come a long way since that Massillon game, and this was their best performance against the best group of receivers they’ve seen all year. Aside from an absolute dime that Schondelmyer dropped under pressure for the TD pass, they were as solid in coverage as you could expect.

The offense went out and imposed their will as we thought they would. Bullock has become masterful at executing the read option and becomes the first junior signal-caller to lead us all the way to a title. His maturation as a passer over the course of the last few regular season games and the playoffs was critical to our success and being able to effectively utilize the play-making ability of Kyan Mason.

We are in the golden era of St. Edward football. Not sure how long it will last, but thoroughly enjoying the ride.

I echo EP01s thoughts... especially regarding the growth of Bullock and his mastery of the read-option.

Curious who would be favored between this year's edition and last year's. Last year's team scored more, and gave up slightly less... but the schedule wasn't quite as difficult. On Defense, I like the 21 interior DL and Secondary, but the 22 DEs and LBs. On offense, I like the 21 Recievers, but favor 22 for RB, OL, and TE. Qb is a tough one, but I do think by the end of the year, Bullock was operating at a higher level than Ramos. The 21 offense had more big plays... more boom or bust, while the 22 offense could grind you to a pulp. But if it came down to a kick, the 21 team had the Jonke bros.

The 23 team should again challenge for a title, but big questions on the DL. The Eagles really only played about 5 guys all year, with 4 seniors. Regovich is a good one to return, however.

These are indeed, the good old days

We'll see how things shake out over the next few years. We thought things would never change either.
Its all about the "Jimmys" and the "Johnnies." St Edward has gotten the lion's share of the talent looking to play at the private D1 level in recent years in our area. When you combine that with a great head coach like Lombardo, and the program he's evolved starting with Finotti, you reap the results you see today.

That said, Ignatius has too many resources, both physical and financial, to play second fiddle long. It's inevitable that they will re-emerge. They can pretty much pick the kids they want and give them a full ride if they want to go in that direction.

The hardest thing at Ignatius will be balancing the legacy kids with the students they choose to bring in. It's not an easy process. Ed's has learned the hard way that if you bring in kids that don't work out, it really sets a program back. Ed's just doesn't have the financial resources to be wrong. We've always had to work harder and smarter. I'm pretty sure Franzinger has his head on straight and will get Ignatius back to prominence soon enough. I won't like seeing the penny loafer wearing, sweater vest, Volvo driving AMDG crowd with smiles back on their faces, but life comes in cycles.

And yes, congratulations to Tom Lombardo, who by his own hard work, is now the premier high school coach in our region. He's earned that distinction and respect.

And congrats to the student athletes at St Ed and the coaches and supporters who all made this happen. It's a really great feeling to be associated with success, even if you're just a fan based on graduating from a school.

Following the Eagles sure made watching the Browns on Sunday a lot easier!

Best guess on projected lineup for 2023 (returning starters in bold):

QB: Casey Bullock ('24)
RB: Josh Groudle ('24)
LT: Deontae Armstrong ('24)
LG: Devontae Armstrong ('24)
C: Tommy Bush ('25) or ???
RG: Tommy Bush ('25) or ???
RT: Ben Roebuck ('24)
TE: Michael Balogh ('24)
WR: Kyan Mason ('24)
WR: Brian Sullivan ('24)
WR: Rashee McClaurin ('24)

DE: Troy Regovich ('24)
DT: Savion Holman ('24)
DT: ???
DE: Antonio Bouldin ('24)
LB: Jon Slaper ('24)
LB: Nate Gregory ('25)
DB: Cam Boone ('24)
DB: Bradley Eaton ('25)
DB: Xavier Styles ('24)
DB: Eddie Andrews ('24)

K: Daniel Tome ('24)
P: ???

I certainly enjoyed my trip to Canton Friday night. I was very happy and a bit surprised by our defensive lines ability to overwhelm the offensive line of Springfield. I certainly believe that Springfield's O line did not face a D line of St. Edward's caliber all season long. The dominance of our D line set the tone early. Congratulations to the Eagles football team and coaches on a great season.

Very heavy on seniors next year. That is typically a recipe for success, but that 24 class has lost what, one game in 3 years? They know how to win.

Congrats to Lombo and the 2022 Eagles. One of the more physically dominating performances we’ve seen at this stage. Can’t say much more about Kilbane and Gedeon. In their chase to one-up each other and chase O’Malley’s single-season sack record, they both finish the season with 19.5 (a half sack short). Best of luck to those two at the next level. Kudos to the secondary as well. They’ve come a long way since that Massillon game, and this was their best performance against the best group of receivers they’ve seen all year. Aside from an absolute dime that Schondelmyer dropped under pressure for the TD pass, they were as solid in coverage as you could expect.

The offense went out and imposed their will as we thought they would. Bullock has become masterful at executing the read option and becomes the first junior signal-caller to lead us all the way to a title. His maturation as a passer over the course of the last few regular season games and the playoffs was critical to our success and being able to effectively utilize the play-making ability of Kyan Mason.

We are in the golden era of St. Edward football. Not sure how long it will last, but thoroughly enjoying the ride.
Definitely a golden era. Nothing else compares to winning state titles. The 70s and 80s are probably the closest but it's no contest. Dominating area opponents this year, 6 straight wins over your archrival, match ups with big out of state teams that are victories, the list goes on. This is the fruition of a hard working and dedicated staff that works so well together. I know the Pappas and Lombo partnership has been talked about a lot but you have a lot of other guys who have been long time assistants and love working there. I think a key to powering this success has been the off field programming too, the weights and recovery training. Great times to be an Eagle!

Some terrific talent returning on the offensive side of the ball in 2023 and enough talent on the defensive side to be considered a contender again. Unlike in 2022, the Eagles will need to win offensively against its early season opponents as it identifies its defensive personnel and strengths in 2023 as the schedule advances. Should athletes step up on the D line, this will be a solid team in 2023.

Congrats again Eagles!

Last edited:
The chart below shows the final 2022 rank of the Eagles in seven national publications and the MaxPreps Composite of those seven rankings.

1671744518539.png

Additionally, Stadium Talk ranked St. Edward #10.

During the regular season, the Eagles defeated these division I/II opponents:

Two state champions – Cherry Creek (Colorado) and Toledo Central Catholic
One state runner-up – Akron Hoban
One state semi-finalist – Moeller

Their only loss of the season was to state semi-finalist Massillon Washington.