Columbus bidding on state finals

Then we're done as I was pointing out how useless that post was that was being thumbed-up and a dock has agreed with me. :D
I didn’t agree with the stats comparison b/w Canton and Columbus, namely because they aren’t sourced and even then they don’t accurately paint a picture to indicate threat to spectator safety.

What I agree with even less is the idea that the area around HCS is dangerous, for reasons not the least of which include that people are alluding to areas that spectators wouldn’t reasonably even be in.

Probably not happening. Grass field n’at. But it might make for an interesting thread or two about Arena District parking.
Passed up free tickets to the Islanders coming to town on Friday, and went to London instead to watch BC, for reasons not the least of which include my longstanding rivalry with parking garages.

What I agree with even less is the idea that the area around HCS is dangerous, for reasons not the least of which include that people are alluding to areas that spectators wouldn’t reasonably even be in.
I wouldn't know. I think in this regard, it's impressions that still matter even if they don't reflect reality. It sometimes works against voter base to put lip-stick on a pig but if that's what they'd need to do.

If it were a vote, as I already said, I wouldn't vote for Columbus under any circumstance other than a rotation of venues. I feel we're stronger by allowing and insisting different regions take ownership of different championships even if it means a longer bus trip. I believe holding everything in the place that is already using it's political power and location to not just hog, but use that influence to "steal" development from within the state hurts my corner of the world more than the resilient Cs and mid-major cities close the them. Dayton can feed off Cinci and Akron off Cleveland. Columbus does zip for Toledo except take taxes. I feel it also holds back the other C's but they can argue that.

I WOULD be tempted to sell my soul if it was held in that NEW Crew stadium. Not too big but big enough. Half roof but still out-doors. Noise and atmosphere would be pretty good in there across all divisions. No, I don't think a dome is necessary but that half dome, isn't the worst idea. IDK, might ice up the field by cutting down the sun? Or would it hold in heat at night? What do you think?

For those saying the neighborhood around Historic Crew Stadium is bad... good thing you never actually have to be in the neighborhood. This isn't Canton. And it's not the Shoe. Tons of parking. There's even more than this. And for all the years that the Crew played here, nary a single issue with 'neighborhood violence' impacting a game.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 203855.png

For those saying the neighborhood around Historic Crew Stadium is bad... good thing you never actually have to be in the neighborhood. This isn't Canton. And it's not the Shoe. Tons of parking. There's even more than this. And for all the years that the Crew played here, nary a single issue with 'neighborhood violence' impacting a game.

View attachment 36646
That anyone lived to tell about.

View attachment 36646

Parking lots tend to act as a barrier to bad neighborhoods.

The neighborhood on the west of the railroad tracks is terrible. The neighborhood on the east side of I-71 is terrible.

View attachment 36646
The thought process of those who are scared the games are moving is laughable.
When the North/South game was in Columbus the North side always seemed to be very light.

Watching the stream of Steubenville game at Crew Stadium. The stadium turf looks terrible and I see players from both sides slipping quite a bit. If Columbus is serious about hosting I hope they come up with a better venue than this place. Championship deserves to be played on a top notch “football” playing surface, not a multi use field with lines all over the place and sub par turf. If that turf is new it sure does not look like it.
The last event on that particular turf was this past Sunday. They started removing it yesterday, 11/28, due to a known warranty issue. That didn't affect safety but, still required replacement.

The infill material they use is different than anything else you'll see on a high school field. It's meant to play more true and slightly firmer than crumb rubber. Crumb rubber, especially on newer and high end fields, tends to feel too soft under foot.

The last event on that particular turf was this past Sunday. They started removing it yesterday, 11/28, due to a known warranty issue. That didn't affect safety but, still required replacement.

The infill material they use is different than anything else you'll see on a high school field. It's meant to play more true and slightly firmer than crumb rubber. Crumb rubber, especially on newer and high end fields, tends to feel too soft under foot.
That surface may be more suitable for soccer. If they want to play football on it then it needs updated, otherwise Columbus needs to find a different venue for their bid.

Parking lots tend to act as a barrier to bad neighborhoods.

The neighborhood on the west of the railroad tracks is terrible. The neighborhood on the east side of I-71 is terrible.
Old North is terrible? TIL.

What’s funny is spectators don’t have a reason to be in either area. 71 is pretty easy access to-and-from HCS.

"THE AREA NEAR CREW STADIUM IS SO AWFUL NO ONE CAN SURVIVE."

Half the games are in the middle of the day with an increased police presence. Please, by all means, do shut up.
It's as silly as citing Canton crime statistics as the reason why not to have the games there.

Just go to the games and enjoy some high school football.

Or, stay home, whine on a message board about games you probably weren’t going to attend anyway. 😉

Last edited:
Old North is terrible? TIL.

What’s funny is spectators don’t have a reason to be in either area. 71 is pretty easy access to-and-from HCS.
When I got off 71 I took a wrong turn and ended up in a less desirable Neighborhood that just did not look safe

I'll be honest - coming from a small town in Suthern Ahia, I know (and understand) the terror that many rural and small town residents hold regarding large cities. If all I knew of any large cities were news media reports, I would be as well. But - eight people murdered in one night in Pike County? Why, there's no way I'm going to attend a game at Waverly, right? But if you look at the context... the picture changes.

View attachment 36646
Actually it gets better that that! The Ohio State Highway patrol has a post in the Lausche Building on the fairgrounds ( about 100 yards of to the left/west of your picture.