Division I State Championship: St. Edward (14-1) vs Springfield (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 73 39.5%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Springfield against Moeller. Very good team.

Eds wins by 14.

Springfield hasn't played a defense like Eds. Great at the edges, and stout up front.

Springfield has speed but that offensive line won't keep Kilbane and Gideon off the Cats QB.

The Eagles defense is playing at an elite level.

I watched Springfield against Moeller. Very good team.

Eds wins by 14.

Springfield hasn't played a defense like Eds. Great at the edges, and stout up front.

Springfield has speed but that offensive line won't keep Kilbane and Gideon off the Cats QB.

The Eagles defense is playing at an elite level.
But has the Ed's defense faced a qb like Schondelmyer? He's different than Smoot.

But has the Ed's defense faced a qb like Schondelmyer? He's different than Smoot.
Last year most of these same Eds defenders faced and shut down Drew Allar. He's pretty good.

We'll see if I'm wrong but I'm guessing your QB will be under massive pressure the entire game.

Last year most of these same Eds defenders faced and shut down Drew Allar. He's pretty good.

We'll see if I'm wrong but I'm guessing your QB will be under massive pressure the entire game.
He was last night too. Schondelmyer is better than Allar. You'll see

You do realize football is a team sport, right?
Allar is also getting significant minutes on a top 15 college football team as a true freshman.
Think Schondelmyer will do that?
You do realize Schondelmyer isn't in college, right? We're talking HS. This is a HS football forum incidentally. Didn't Aller have a running clock put on his team in his final game where they only scored 6 points? I believe his team was undefeated and rated #1 in the state at the time. Again, Schondelmyer is better.

Last edited:
Schondelmyer isn't in college. We're talking HS. This is a HS football forum incidentally. Didn't Aller have a running clock put on his team where they only scored 6 points? Again, Schondelmyer is better.
Agree to disagree. Your premise that Schondelmyer is a better QB because Allar’s TEAM got destroyed by St Edward is ridiculous.

Curious,,, how or why did Massilon beat Ed's? I was watching some short clips of Massilon & Springfield looks to be on a different level than that Massilon team!

Curious,,, how or why did Massilon beat Ed's? I was watching some short clips of Massilon & Springfield looks to be on a different level than that Massilon team!
A lot of things can be said here but the bottom line is that that was week 5. In week 10 St Edward handily beat Hoban 41-20, the team that just crushed Massillon 41-20 yesterday.

I agree - last year's Cats DL was stout. I am not sure if Springfield can stop their run - only thought Moe got it trouble trying to run outside due to Cats speed. If St. Ed stays between the tackles, it will be hard to stop. Cats can try to outscore them, and thought they made some good adjustments in the 2nd half against Moe to put the ball in Brown's hands (he is fast!). It should be an entertaining game - run vs. pass offenses.
Weather looks pretty good so far so that will help the Cats.
Don't you think SHS will make adjustments for a team that runs up the middle? SHS prepared for Moeller by containing the East West running attack, something LW was unable to do.

Agree to disagree. Your premise that Schondelmyer is a better QB because Allar’s TEAM got destroyed by St Edward is ridiculous.
I can agree to disagree with anyone. But there's no reason for you to be a jerk about it. My premise is based on the fact Aller only scored 6 points in his final HS game and had a running clock put on him. Again, his "team" was undefeated and the state's no. 1 team. Schondelmyer would have done better is my premise. His stats speak for themselves.

You do realize Schondelmyer isn't in college, right? We're talking HS. This is a HS football forum incidentally. Didn't Aller have a running clock put on his team in his final game where they only scored 6 points? I believe his team was undefeated and rated #1 in the state at the time. Again, Schondelmyer is better.
In the 247 sports composite recruiting rankings, Bryce Schondelmyer isn't ranked in the top 81 in the state of Ohio for the class of 2023. 3 QBs are ranked in the top 81.
Drew Allar was the #3 ranked player in Ohio for the class of 2022 and #32 in the entire nation.

I imagine SHS will use the same game plan on offense that they did last night, quick passes and timing routes to help neutralize the Ed's rush. It's tough to run outside on SHS, but power running through the middle will wear them down. Smoot was a fantastic athlete, but the new recruit may be more effective in this offensive scheme. An interesting match-up.

You think Schondelmyer is better than Allan? Holy cow. Your football opinion should never be taken seriously. Schondelmyer is a good QB but he’s nowhere near Allan as a QB.

In the 247 sports composite recruiting rankings, Bryce Schondelmyer isn't ranked in the top 81 in the state of Ohio for the class of 2023. 3 QBs are ranked in the top 81.
Drew Allar was the #3 ranked player in Ohio for the class of 2022 and #32 in the entire nation.
I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in production and results on the field. After St Eds put the running clock on Medina and held them to 6 points, St Eds' next 2 opponents both scored in the double digits. Schondelmyer gets the job done and is the better passer IMO. And, I won't call you names or hurl insults at you if you disagree with me. But there is evidence on the actual games to support my POV.

I imagine SHS will use the same game plan on offense that they did last night, quick passes and timing routes to help neutralize the Ed's rush. It's tough to run outside on SHS, but power running through the middle will wear them down. Smoot was a fantastic athlete, but the new recruit may be more effective in this offensive scheme. An interesting match-up.
I noticed you mentioned 'recruit'?? Do they now allow the public schools the same rules as the private schools? Wasn't the case years ago?

I noticed you mentioned 'recruit'?? Do they now allow the public schools the same rules as the private schools? Wasn't the case years ago?
He conveniently fails to mention how St Xavier "recruited" Kirk Herbstreit's son to be a qb all the way from Tennessee. But that's different...

I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in production and results on the field. After St Eds put the running clock on Medina and held them to 6 points, St Eds' next 2 opponents both scored in the double digits. Schondelmyer gets the job done and is the better passer IMO. And, I won't call you names or hurl insults at you if you disagree with me. But there is evidence on the actual games to support my POV.
Of course you're not interested in that. It doesn't help your position at all.
Drew Allar played on a team that had won 2 playoff games in it's entire history before he got there. His teams won 6 playoff games. Schondelmyer plays on a team that just was in the championship game last year. So I'm not interested in that comparison.

Of course you're not interested in that. It doesn't help your position at all.
Drew Allar played on a team that had won 2 playoff games in it's entire history before he got there. His teams won 6 playoff games. Schondelmyer plays on a team that just was in the championship game last year. So I'm not interested in that comparison.
So? This year is Schondelmyer's first and only year playing in D1 and against some of the top teams in the state and the nation. And he's gotten the job done every time. Even in the 1 game they lost, he moved the ball and they scored 21 points.

I watched both players senior year highlights and just don’t understand how you go with Schondelmyer unless you watched Allar’s highlights with your eyes closed. I get it your a homer for SHS but still.
You don't have to understand and I don't have to explain anything to you. I wasn't even talking to you. Schondelmyer is a very underrated qb because he played in D5 for 3 years and this is his first year in D1. That shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

Yep, sure did say recruit. Douglass has a history from his days at Trotwood, and suddenly we're seeing kids transferring in to SHS. And sure the private schools recruit- they don't have the advantage of offering a free education to a geographically locked population. They also charge tuition and depending on the school require entrance examinations and applications.

You don't have to understand and I don't have to explain anything to you. I wasn't even talking to you. Schondelmyer is a very underrated wb because he played in D5 for 3 years and this is his first year in D1. That shouldn't be too difficult to understand.
Basic player evaluation is hard for you I see. Plus he played in D6. Can’t even get basic facts straight for your own QB. Wouldn’t expect anything less.

Status
Not open for further replies.