DV State Semi-Final: Valley View (13-1) vs Ironton (14-0)

Who Wins?

• Valley View

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Ironton

Votes: 56 64.4%

• Total voters
A few thoughts from an ex-Tiger (and apparently an ex-teammate of Hickt003)...
*On another thread, travel distances for every game are compared. By far, the game with the largest distance disparity is this game. Ironton got screwed unnecessarily. There were more fair sites.
*I don't think anyone is going to score much against Ironton. They're defense is nasty. For VV to win, it must be a low-scoring game.
*I've wondered at times why they don't run the ball more, too. A Wisconsin commit should get the rock a lot in D5 ball. However, a lot of times against HP, he got the ball and really had nowhere to go. He just muscled out 3-4 yards.
*D1 talent doesn't always win out. But, it's a factor.
*Carolldad, I was at that game, too. Interesting story about the coach...
there are a couple of worse games in terms of distance. you just have to accept that there aren’t a ton of turf fields right in the middle of southeast ohio and the dayton area. most of southeast ohio is off the beaten path. it’s also worth noting that not many school want to host on black friday so while Chillicothe may have been ideal, the odds are they did not want to host.

According to another thread, these are the travelling distances...
D1
St. Edward = 75.6
Gahanna-Lincoln = 67.2

Moeller = 77.4
Springfield = 35.8

D2
Washington = 24.4
Hoban = 1.6

Toledo CC = 93.3
Kings = 95.0

D3
Canfield = 76.0
Holy Name = 33.6

Bloom-Carroll = 48.8
Tippecanoe = 53.8

D4
Steubenville = 151
Wyoming = 105

Jefferson Area = 95.8
Glenville = 51.1

D5
Ironton = 146
Valley View = 33.4

South Range = 141
Liberty Center = 63.8

D6
Marion Local = 43.2
Columbus Grove = 15.6

Kirtland = 87.8
Fort Frye = 147

D7
New Bremen = 17.0
Lima CC = 13.9

Warren JFK = 73.7
Newark Catholic = 75.8

What I said is true. I didn't say Ironton had to travel the farthest, but rather the travel distance disparity between the two teams was the largest of all the games. Thanks for monitoring my posts, though.

According to another thread, these are the travelling distances...
D1
St. Edward = 75.6
Gahanna-Lincoln = 67.2

Moeller = 77.4
Springfield = 35.8

D2
Washington = 24.4
Hoban = 1.6

Toledo CC = 93.3
Kings = 95.0

D3
Canfield = 76.0
Holy Name = 33.6

Bloom-Carroll = 48.8
Tippecanoe = 53.8

D4
Steubenville = 151
Wyoming = 105

Jefferson Area = 95.8
Glenville = 51.1

D5
Ironton = 146
Valley View = 33.4

South Range = 141
Liberty Center = 63.8

D6
Marion Local = 43.2
Columbus Grove = 15.6

Kirtland = 87.8
Fort Frye = 147

D7
New Bremen = 17.0
Lima CC = 13.9

Warren JFK = 73.7
Newark Catholic = 75.8

What I said is true. I didn't say Ironton had to travel the farthest, but rather the travel distance disparity between the two teams was the largest of all the games. Thanks for monitoring my posts, though.
good post. this is cool info. it’s no suprise Ironton and Fort Frye have such large trips due to where they are located.

lighten up a bit. it’s a forum.

I know you’re familiar with SEO football. Watching Ironton beat HP so handily, how did Wheelersburg and Jackson give them good games? Both hung with Ironton well. I know both are good teams, but based on what I saw with Ironton in the Regional Final, I’m almost surprised they had any close games during the season. Very skilled group.
Raider put it best, Wheelersburg being week 1 rivalry and Jackson had a great team this year. Gallia Academy was able to hang around with them that was their biggest push in a rather weak conference. Having saw VV playe Waverly these past few years when they were in R16. This game should be a dandy

Milton-union fan here I have Ironton going away. 40-14. Hopefully no one gets hurt because VV like to kick players when they are down!

Wasn't it Milton-Union who got a unsportsmanlike penalty for hitting the VV QB when he was out of bounds? Their high school kids, there going to do dumb stuff. As far as travel distance, VV has been in the same boat as Ironton before. I have no doubt both teams will come and give their best effort.

there are a couple of worse games in terms of distance. you just have to accept that there aren’t a ton of turf fields right in the middle of southeast ohio and the dayton area. most of southeast ohio is off the beaten path. it’s also worth noting that not many school want to host on black friday so while Chillicothe may have been ideal, the odds are they did not want to host.
Almost every stadium in Dayton is turf

Appreciate all of the responses on Ironton's schedule. I realize Wheelersburg is a rivalry game and often a battle. I didn't realize Jackson was that solid this season. There's no question though, Ironton has a really solid football team this season. VV will need to play a good football game to beat them. Once we get this far into the playoffs, the difference between winning and losing can be razor thin. You can't hurt yourself with penalties or turnovers, special teams become important as well. I think VV will need to have a similar game plan that they used against MU. Win field position with special teams. They need to spread Ironton out on offense and have Henson buy time with his legs. The Spartans do have 4 capable WR's to move the chains. It's not easy, but controlling the clock while moving the ball through the air. It worked against MU and will probably be the attack against Ironton. As mentioned earlier, defensively, VV does have a good run defense. I think they'll need to stack the box and keep two high safeties. My biggest concern for VV is that their pass defense can give up big plays, and Ironton's QB can throw to great WR's.

Appreciate all of the responses on Ironton's schedule. I realize Wheelersburg is a rivalry game and often a battle. I didn't realize Jackson was that solid this season. There's no question though, Ironton has a really solid football team this season. VV will need to play a good football game to beat them. Once we get this far into the playoffs, the difference between winning and losing can be razor thin. You can't hurt yourself with penalties or turnovers, special teams become important as well. I think VV will need to have a similar game plan that they used against MU. Win field position with special teams. They need to spread Ironton out on offense and have Henson buy time with his legs. The Spartans do have 4 capable WR's to move the chains. It's not easy, but controlling the clock while moving the ball through the air. It worked against MU and will probably be the attack against Ironton. As mentioned earlier, defensively, VV does have a good run defense. I think they'll need to stack the box and keep two high safeties. My biggest concern for VV is that their pass defense can give up big plays, and Ironton's QB can throw to great WR's.
Wheelersburg actually upset Ironton last year in the playoffs. Ironton beat them 40-6 week 1. That Ironton team gave Moeller all they wanted.

Remember a few years back when Ironton had all these D1 commits on the field and Kirtland bludgeoned them with a couple kids who might have ended up playing D3.

This late in the season it's more about who's playing well than where they'll be playing in the future.
I was just thinking this. Not a knock on Ironton but lately they have had loads of college recruits and have not been able to finish the job. Seems like teams they play adapt to the bright lights better

Wasn't it Milton-Union who got a unsportsmanlike penalty for hitting the VV QB when he was out of bounds? Their high school kids, there going to do dumb stuff. As far as travel distance, VV has been in the same boat as Ironton before. I have no doubt both teams will come and give their best effort.
1 out of 3 is not bad.

Ok
good post. this is cool info. it’s no suprise Ironton and Fort Frye have such large trips due to where they are located.

lighten up a bit. it’s a forum.
irontons Coaches and players don’t care where the games being played, Their motto is “anyone, anywhere, anytime”. There’s always going to be fans complaining one way or another.

Go Fighting Tigers…..

Ok

irontons Coaches and players don’t care where the games being played, Their motto is “anyone, anywhere, anytime”. There’s always going to be fans complaining one way or another.

Go Fighting Tigers…..
Spot on buckeye. I have been from one end of the state to the other, just happy to be there!

Go Tigers!

A somewhat random thought about what could play out in this game...
I saw where someone posted where a big factor in their previous game was the ability of VV's QB to extend plays and ad lib and hit guys downfield for big plays. What comes to my mind is an athletic kid doing some Fran Tarkenton kind of stuff, making rushers look goofy. This can and does happen - often against lumbering DL who are more run-stoppers than pass rushers. Ironton's DL (and entire defense) is super athletic. I'm just saying that it's possible that the QB won't be able to do this against Ironton.
Again, just a random thought that came to mind...

I saw where someone posted where a big factor in their previous game was the ability of VV's QB to extend plays and ad lib and hit guys downfield for big plays. What comes to my mind is an athletic kid doing some Fran Tarkenton kind of stuff, making rushers look goofy. This can and does happen - often against lumbering DL who are more run-stoppers than pass rushers. Ironton's DL (and entire defense) is super athletic. I'm just saying that it's possible that the QB won't be able to do this against Ironton.

ironton will get more pressure on the QB than what I seen VV get in their last game. The Fighting Tigers are quick to the ball, the run Defense has been pretty stout all year.

I felt like MU had a very dominant defensive line. They got a lot of pressure on Henson, but also couldn't get him on the ground. VV has a good 4 WR's that they can throw to. Essentially Henson bought time, MU couldn't cover that long, and he found wide open WR's.

Irontons linebackers will be the key on defense. They’ve been excellent all season. As well on offense Perkins will be the focal point. Curious to see how he plays on defense since he had 2 ints against harvest prep who had plenty of athleticism

That LB core is special for D5. One full ride to UC...one full ride to Wisconsin (and I wouldn't be shocked if he someday was moved to strong safety)...and a kid that makes as many plays as them and will play somewhere at the next level - Lincoln Barnes.

Just pointing out a strength of the Ironton team... I've not seen one snap of VV. So, I can't really speak too much on them. If you're in the final four, I'm sure you're talented & tough.

Irontons wr is a transfer from a local school that has been Irontons overall best offensive weapon for three years now. Unless you have a shut down corner, you’re not going to be able to man him up. Burg had a corner who could easily run with him and essentially contained him enough. That’s why the score was 12-3. It was 6-3 until late fourth quarte

Ironton QB is exceptionally accurate. Doesn’t hold it long.

valley views best game plan will have to be control the time of possession and keep Ironton offense off the field. Because you really will have to contain them. They are very hard to stop. Offense line is good but not great. Their weakness is running the football but they do a good job of out flanking you so they can run it enough to keep you honest.

Defensively, they are good but they aren’t lockdown. Their best defense is their team speed. Pretty quick to the ball. But they aren’t big up front except one kid is pretty stout but he goes both ways I think. He’s pretty good.

If valley view can contain Perkins in a couple of series, I can see them able to upset the tigers. Right now Ironton seems to be the favorite in this game. imo

Sheesh what’s the point of VV even making the trip then 🤷🏼‍♂
Going off of our matchups in years past (Waverly) in D IV R16 I know the tradition of VV I fully expect a good game and wouldn’t be shocked if they beat Ironton. I just haven’t saw VV play and Ironton is in my neck of the woods so I’ve just heard/saw more of them