2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

It depends on who Depodesta thinks should be the next coach. Whoever he thinks will carry out his analytics football wet dream and has a haughty east coast academic background can apply. You can forget anyone who's an old fashioned football guy.

It depends on who Depodesta thinks should be the next coach. Whoever he thinks will carry out his analytics football wet dream and has a haughty east coast academic background can apply. You can forget anyone who's an old fashioned football guy.
At least give DePodesta credit. His first ever head coach hire recommendation was McDermott…the Bills coach now. He’s done great. Haslem went with Hue Jackson.

Last week may have been the last NFL start for Baker Mayfield. In less than one year he has gone from a Franchise QB to literally one foot out of the NFL. I do believe Baker would be a very good backup but is he willing to? A backup qb should only be seen and not herd.

Remember those few posters who thought the Browns should keep Baker or thought they would get a high draft pick(s) for him?

Last week may have been the last NFL start for Baker Mayfield. In less than one year he has gone from a Franchise QB to literally one foot out of the NFL. I do believe Baker would be a very good backup but is he willing to? A backup qb should only be seen and not herd.

Remember those few posters who thought the Browns should keep Baker or thought they would get a high draft pick(s) for him?

I'll fess up to thinking they could win with talent around him and the right coaching. They had shown the ability to do it before. Given the recent downward spiral, one has to wonder if OBJ's criticism didn't have some validity. Part of my position on Baker was undoubtedly filled by them mortgaging their future on a pervert with woefully bad judgment that hadn't played in over a season who was looking down the barrel of a long suspension.

Clarkgriswold - I commend you on post above. To admit one is wrong is something society needs more of. I definitely understand some Browns fans preferring Baker over mortgaging the future for Watson.

You may be right. But if Baker had chosen the sensible path last year - sitting out with that major shoulder injury instead of trying to be a hero (and being terrible) - he would still be leading the Browns today.

Remember, in 2020 he was a top 10 QB (8th in QBR I believe). played well in the Stefanski system. First 2 games of 2021 he led the NFL in completion percentage. Once he hurt his shoulder, his play spiraled down and he has never recovered. His terrible play in 2021 hurt the Browns, wrecked his perception around the league, and shattered his own confidence, which was his biggest weapon.

Now his career looks to be cooked, and as a result the Haslam's felt it necessary to make a drastic move/mistake that may doom the franchise for another 5 years. It's awesome to be a browns fan.

Van Pelt is actually the OC, but he doesn't call the plays. Hard to criticize him.
I'm as unhappy with the Browns season as anyone here, and sometimes I wonder about Stefanski's play calls, but the offensive production is top 10 in the NFL. With a backup QB.

The major problems are elsewhere. Joe Woods and special teams...

I'm as unhappy with the Browns season as anyone here, and sometimes I wonder about Stefanski's play calls, but the offensive production is top 10 in the NFL. With a backup QB.

The major problems are elsewhere. Joe Woods and special teams...
Stefanski is outstanding between the 20's. It's the bad timing of his worst calls that becomes an issue.

Clarkgriswold - I commend you on post above. To admit one is wrong is something society needs more of. I definitely understand some Browns fans preferring Baker over mortgaging the future for Watson.
Even if Mayfield had to have his non-throwing arm amputated, keeping him around still would have been preferable to the Watson trade.

The team exists as a hedge for the Haslams. That's it. Color me shocked Watson's first game is against the Texans. It isn't like Cleveland and Houston use the same attorneys or anything.

Even if Mayfield had to have his non-throwing arm amputated, keeping him around still would have been preferable to the Watson trade.

The team exists as a hedge for the Haslams. That's it. Color me shocked Watson's first game is against the Texans. It isn't like Cleveland and Houston use the same attorneys or anything.
The beancounters have it all worked out. 🤓

Amazingly bad offensive series followed by defense letdown. I feel like I'm watching the Buckeyes again.