Week 13 - Division 2 Region 5 Semifinal - Holy War 2.0 - Hoban (11-1) vs SVSM (8-3)

No sour grapes. Just observations talking with parents on the team. Always looking for the next best thing.
So not actually "first hand knowledge". But I understand. Fair enough.

As far as the StVM/Hoban Football Rivalry goes...as an alumnus, I sure hope it continues

Last edited:
Sour grapes. Name me another Catholic school in Ohio running their own AAU All Star travel teams (Armor) that works as a feeder into a Catholic high school. The same question has been presented to the OHSAA.

The program is not soft but playing an all star team weeks before the payoffs makes no sense. Hoban 🪝 Created its Own bed as the NCL folded and now the knights are down to St Edwards’s and St Ignatius as local NE Ohio opponents. Why did all the previous opponents decide to no longer play Hoban ??? This is not only a STVM decision.

The playing weeks before the playoffs issue is another diversion. How about playing week 3, which is open for both schools (according to the newspaper)? Is that too close to the playoffs? And you know what, better ditch that Walsh game, which is a week before the playoffs. Somebody might get hurt.

Why did all the previous opponents decide not to play Hoban - cause they didn't want to get beat, which is the same reason st v's is deciding that. And just ditching the game does not factor in the benefit to the students of both schools as well as the Akron community. It is not simply a game.

St. Iggnatius got beat up by St. Ed this year. Guess they better end that rivalry. A new coach coming in...they better "evaluate the situation".

What is your position on whether st v's should admit their decision rather than hide it? Why pretend they haven't made their decision when they already have?

And by the way, which is it? Is it the "incident" from a year ago, or is it the AAU team? I'm getting confused cause your story keeps changing.

This is your opinion and it sounds a little personal. Sour grapes? As someone who has had kids play for the guy, CYO kids who busted their tail and waited their turn for an opportunity by the way, I've known him to be fair, straightforward and consistent in playing the guys who have earned it and who give the team the best opportunity to reach its goals.

The QB who transferred to Green wasn't even the Hoban back-up at that position in '21, by the way.
Triggered Much? Glad to see you getting all this off your chest. Must be a huge relief. As for the green QB you are correct he left when they recruited the Massillon backup QB and told him he had the starting position. Because of name. So why stick around when positions are awarded in closed room meetings with the recruiter and the head coach? This is fact no opinion.

And let me be clear, I'm no big fan of hoban either. They do plenty worthy of criticism. However, in this instance, i feel that st v's is in the wrong and deserves to be called out.

The private schools are decimating my city teams, and st v's is a big part of that just like hoban.

Triggered Much? Glad to see you getting all this off your chest. Must be a huge relief. As for the green QB you are correct he left when they recruited the Massillon backup QB and told him he had the starting position. Because of name. So why stick around when positions are awarded in closed room meetings with the recruiter and the head coach? This is fact no opinion.
Exactly. What about the big stow LT, who transferred in last year. Same story.

Triggered? Lol, not at all and nothing to get off my chest. Just stating my opinion like you and everyone else on a forum that is chock-full of, well, opinions. The young man who eventually became the Green QB was on the same team all season at Hoban as the transfer you mention in 2021. Another QB left pre-season to go to Wadsworth. Klockner left Hoban after the 2021 season, enrolled at Green, earned the starting position and had a marvelous season in '22. The young man that went to Wadsworth played two seasons at QB there and did well, also. I don't blame them at all for leaving and it seems to have worked out very well for them....so we agree.

Last edited:
Triggered? Lol, not at all and nothing to get off my chest. Just stating my opinion like you and everyone else on a forum that is chock-full of, well, opinions. The young man who eventually became the Green QB was on the same team all season at Hoban as the transfer you mention in 2021. Another QB left pre-season to go to Wadsworth. Klockner left Hoban after the 2021 season, enrolled at Green, earned the starting position and had a marvelous season in '22. The young man that went to Wadsworth played two seasons at QB there and did well, also. I don't blame them at all for leaving and it seems to have worked out very well for them....so we agree.
Exactly. What about the big stow LT, who transferred in last year. Same story.
This continues to show the favoritism to the recruited players. As for the OL I couldn’t agree more. There were better O linemen standing on the sideline then was starting. It was most evident in the state championship when they got run over. Even the 4 yr letter winner looked like his shoes were tied together just like he looked all the 4 yrs he was at Hoban.

Sour grapes. Name me another Catholic school in Ohio running their own AAU All Star travel teams (Armor) that works as a feeder into a Catholic high school. The same question has been presented to the OHSAA.
Ted Ginn academy? Granted not a catholic school. King James AAU basketball? Fed St V for many years. Public schools all have feeder programs, youth, travel and AAU.

Doesn't ST V run there own youth wrestling program? Do you think any of these Akron Armour kids might go to St V? Would St V then refuse these players from Akron Armour?

I'm a Hoban fan. Had a couple kids go there, great experience both in the classroom and on the athletic fields. I hope the rivalry continues/comes back. Its all a cycle. I remember the 9 year run that St. V put on Hoban prior to the 2015 football season. Kids want to play. Let em. My sons experienced both "The Thrill of Victory and The Agony of Defeat" at the hands of the Irish.

Hoban has the upper hand today, but that worm will turn. Down the road at Walsh, Coach Alexander getting on with it and unless I have missed some posts, I don't hear the drums on the reservation signaling the end of the rivalry with Hoban. Set me straight if that too has changed.

So not actually "first hand knowledge". But I understand. Fair enough.

As far as the StVM/Hoban Football Rivalry goes...as an alumnus, I sure hope it continues
Agree - great to have this rivalry, and hope it gets more balanced back to SVSM. Can't have 1-sided rivalries and maintain passion and interest.

I don’t care about The “who recruits more” discussion. Anyone who went to STVM knows top basketball prospects took classes in the basement (I.e., in the special needs classes), went to school for free, and played their sports. STVM used to have Eastern Europeans on the basketball team. Hoban is doing the same thing with football. Whatever. My sons will be playing ball at public school, and I’ll happily continue to pitch the letters from my alma mater asking for donations. They received $28,000 in tuition from my parents. When the kids who got to go to school for free donate that much, and when they start to teach according to Catholic social teaching, then I’ll consider it.

What I’m curious about is what is the alleged “incident” people keep referring to that has allegedly soured the series? Did a Hoban coach fight a kid or something? Or try to recruit a STVM player? I’m just curious as to what’s going on that allegedly caused an end to the series.

Good Lord, if there ever was a thread that needed closed and yesterday - it is this one.

Now that the game ON THE FIELD has been played, everyone thinks this gives them free license to sling whatever kind of mud (under the guise of "I am connected" or "I know a guy") at each of these schools thinking it makes their point just as much gospel as Jesus himself.

Your opinions don't matter. This situation will conclude as it will conclude. Be better.

Good Lord, if there ever was a thread that needed closed and yesterday - it is this one.

Now that the game ON THE FIELD has been played, everyone thinks this gives them free license to sling whatever kind of mud (under the guise of "I am connected" or "I know a guy") at each of these schools thinking it makes their point just as much gospel as Jesus himself.

Your opinions don't matter. This situation will conclude as it will conclude. Be better.
I don't begrudge the "opinions", it's just that they've been expressed ad infinitum over the last 3 months and 4 threads and nothing new is being brought to the conversation. New posters come into the discussion and think they're brining something new to the table when in reality it's just last month's old meatloaf.

If anything, the back and forth is probably a strong indicator that the dispute is not going to be resolved given the historical hostile nature of the relationship which is obviously alive and well.

Two points:
1. I respectfully disagree on the closing of this thread - it is a big game that appeals to a lot of people - fans and non fans alike - that is going to take away from the seasons moving forward.
2. Are you new to Yappi? Opinions are what make forums like this.

No, not new to Yappi.

Hoban alum '76, SVSM dad '99 and '04.

I am fully aware that discussions and exchanges of opinions are what makes these forums go. I welcome that.

In this thread's case, it is my opinion that we left POSITIVE exchanges of ideas by the side of the road a long time ago. I now see a lot of mud slinging at each school, mostly for the sole purpose of self gratification.

We all have experienced situations in our lives that are difficult to impossible to endure. Does that mean we should continue on that course just because someone outside of the situation thinks they have a right to judge us for doing what we feel is in our best interests? We have the right to choose whatever we see fit is good for us. That is why I said what I did, and I stand by those comments. If the series is paused, I chalk it up to a widening gap in difference of philosophies.

As supposed adults, we are supposed to set the standard for those coming up behind us. This is a great game we all love. Let's give the game and our kids the respect they deserve by acting our age.

" Widening Gap in Difference of philosophies " ?? That is what you believe is the reason the series is paused? What would those differences be? Please elaborate so we can discuss

The entire North Coast Conference has moved forward. The Irish are better off putting their funds towards their outstanding academic base marching band robotics and Rocket Teams. UN government and debate and quiz bowl teams versus funding an entire football program. Invest in Todays Student Athletes that will one day fund future students opportunities.

The entire North Coast Conference has moved forward. The Irish are better off putting their funds towards their outstanding academic base marching band robotics and Rocket Teams. UN government and debate and quiz bowl teams versus funding an entire football program. Invest in Todays Student Athletes that will one day fund future students opportunities.
Forgot basketball. Have to allocate funds for the east coast and west coast trips.

They're both great schools, athletically and otherwise. Each of the schools have a predominant successful sports program (Hoban- football/SVSM- basketball) and other successful ones (Hoban- Golf, baseball/SVSM- cross country and track) and each has its own top not academic extracurriculars. Neither is substantially superior or inferior to the other.

FWIW, I’ve read for Hoban’s academic challenge team twice recently at the State Tournament (teams have to qualify in via regionals) in ‘19 and ‘21. SVSM hasn’t made it to Columbus, yet (at least not for years.) I know SVSM has a team for it because they’ll usually go to Copley’s event in February.

No irons in the fire, here… plenty of respect for both schools and their traditions. Just adding some context to an earlier claim in #139 on the two school’s extracurriculars that brought the activity up.

P.S. — was pretty cool to read for Copley v. Hoban in the 4th place game in 2021. :) Rematch of the 1995 State Title game!

I don't begrudge the "opinions", it's just that they've been expressed ad infinitum over the last 3 months and 4 threads and nothing new is being brought to the conversation. New posters come into the discussion and think they're brining something new to the table when in reality it's just last month's old meatloaf.

If anything, the back and forth is probably a strong indicator that the dispute is not going to be resolved given the historical hostile nature of the relationship which is obviously alive and well.

I've been following this issue pretty closely, and I hadn't yet seen anyone call out st v's for being weasly in the press when they had already made their decision. I apologize to all if that had been covered. My bad.

FWIW, I’ve read for Hoban’s academic challenge team twice recently at the State Tournament (teams have to qualify in via regionals) in ‘19 and ‘21. SVSM hasn’t made it to Columbus, yet (at least not for years.) I know SVSM has a team for it because they’ll usually go to Copley’s event in February.

No irons in the fire, here… plenty of respect for both schools and their traditions. Just adding some context to an earlier claim in #139 on the two school’s extracurriculars that brought the activity up.

P.S. — was pretty cool to read for Copley v. Hoban in the 4th place game in 2021. :) Rematch of the 1995 State Title game!
I was on that 95 team! Also the 96 and 97 teams which had some fantastic matches under Jan von Spiegel for Hoban.