Youth Community Team Tournament

CoachAllen

D6053B5B-F04F-4621-A2C9-30D2AF055BD1.jpeg

What good would a club team like Westshore, BTW, or Palmers do against tiny school based clubs who may only have a majority of first or second year wrestlers on the team? We are talking possible kindergartners on a team.
Maybe he wants them to experience what it’s like to be on a high school team when they are older and help them fall in love with the sport? Not have a club kid who is 10 cut 12lbs to wrestle a kindergartner at 45lbs. And make them hate it the rest of their lives. I can’t believe you even asked this question. There’s plenty of opportunities for “club” kids. Not near enough for beginners or novice wrestlers which is a majority of what school teams are made up of.

What good would a club team like Westshore, BTW, or Palmers do against tiny school based clubs who may only have a majority of first or second year wrestlers on the team? We are talking possible kindergartners on a team.
Maybe he wants them to experience what it’s like to be on a high school team when they are older and help them fall in love with the sport? Not have a club kid who is 10 cut 12lbs to wrestle a kindergartner at 45lbs. And make them hate it the rest of their lives. I can’t believe you even asked this question. There’s plenty of opportunities for “club” kids. Not near enough for beginners or novice wrestlers which is a majority of what school teams are made up of.
Really??They going to wrestle? Or get trophies? Then say novice team tournament if it is. And what club kid is sucking 12 lbs at a beginner tournament?

Really??They going to wrestle? Or get trophies? Then say novice team tournament if it is. And what club kid is sucking 12 lbs at a beginner tournament?

Why would a club team want to wrestle in a community event, just to win a trophy? Community youth programs are good for building that program as it allows those gets to grow together. There are plenty of club level events out there.

Why no club teams? You want good compitetion let everyone wrestle. What is your reason? You don't want compitetion?
If you believe or complaint that sport of wrestling is dying a slow death, let this attitude be exhibit A.

At the elite levels, youth wrestling has never been better. There is elite level coaching available in every corner of the state, There are several well attended national level tournaments all over the country, and many within a reasonable drive from anywhere in Ohio.

To sustain and grow youth wrestlers need development. Many parents feel the only way to become elite is to follow the part of other elite kids and train and compete at a high level before the kid can ride a two wheeler. A small % of kids thrive in that environment and just looking at old OAC D1 brackets from ten years ago, you’ll see many kids that are lightening it up in high school today. You’ll also see many other kids that fell off, many not even making it to MS wrestling. I think community programs are so important. Some kids (top 5-10%) will outgrow them in time and be ready for more sooner or later. But most kids I think just need to be wrestling with the goal of coming back next year. Build a foundation, make it fun, develop a love for the sport. I’m not saying give everyone a trophy, I’m saying give every a chance to be successful, and not make it a job too early. .

If you believe or complaint that sport of wrestling is dying a slow death let this attitude be exhibit A.
Build a foundation, make it fun, develop a love for the sport. I’m not saying give everyone a trophy, I’m saying give every a chance to be successful, and not make it a job too early. .
Agreed Luc.
It's a shame that you even need to, "lay it out."
Wrestling has always been a secondary sport. Year by year it's becoming more and more of a niche secondary sport.