Ohio State University vs Virginia Tech

Of course its not “ok” to provide input verifying the “hype “ may have been overstated? Or that saying a wrestler majoring unranked opponents is not indicative of an offensive juggernaut. Somehow this is a scathing statement and perilous to the “ hyped” wrestler even if true ? Got it Karen.
You. Are. Exhausting.

Karen a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist white woman 🤔 now who does this sound like…

Sasso's performance was troubling. The early version of Sasso was he never shot but pulled his magic over anyone who dared to grab his leg. Last year his magic didn't seem to work nearly as well as his bonus rate has gone down (48% in 20, 41% in 21, 37% in 22). Now, he did bonus his way thru the MSO, but that likely was soft competition. I think his competition is figuring out how to counter his cradle. That being said, something didn't look right last night - no energy. Not sure if it's a weight issue or maybe he's sick. We'll see. My hope over the years was that he would start to figure out an offensive move on his feet other than the counters. He hasn't. If he's down late he can't catch up.

Sasso and Kharchla need to move up, but the Bucks are holding on till next season. It's early though so maybe they find the weight cut groove. It was an issue last year as well.
RSs can wrestle 5 matches this year (new rule). That's why Bouzakis wrestled. Not sure why Decatur didn't.
Freshman RS's get five. Remember Decatur was unattached last weekend.

Last edited:
Sasso and Kharchla need to move up, but the Bucks are holding on till next season. It's early though so maybe they find the weight cut groove. It was an issue last year as well.

Freshman RS's get five. Remember Decatur was unattached last weekend.
Thanks for the match updates last night. Much appreciated!

2022-13th
2021- 9th
2020- ?
2019- 2nd
9th and 13th consecutive years followed up by a trophy year in 2023 would be nice but as it is there isn't one lock finalist. Got to produce so if this move doesn't work some assistants need to be on the chopping block. Then as good as job Coach Ryan has done he will need a runner up or championship team in 2024, 2025 to avoid an exit.
It just doesn't seem that the staff does a good job developing potential 157 and below. Over all they don't ride tough and have few if any mat returns. Dude gets up they kick out. One mat return from Hunter or Myles Martin and there would be few more champions and hardware. Lesson not learned and both those guys got beat by guys they were substantially better than.
Sasso losing now doesn't seem like much until he gets put in same quarter/half as Yanni because of that loss. The little stuff matters and that's on the assistants as Coach Ryan takes care of the bigger picture.

I hear ya @LPW

he will need a runner up or championship team in 2024, 2025 to avoid an exit.
He's a top four coach, maybe three? I don't see any coaches above him leaving their positions to come to OSU. Maybe Coleman Scott would be interested? Brian Smith perhaps? Maybe Lou gets a shot or perhaps it's Jaggers.

And as far as Sasso goes, he must carry that burden on his shoulders, much like Kharchla last weekend.
These are elite athletes and wrestlers. The routine shouldn't come as a surprise. When I say, "it's early," I'm mainly referring to getting the weight cut to a place where it doesn't hurt you. That didn't seem to be the case for either in the last two weeks.
I believe Sasso has had enough. He has to grind this season out so he can move up next season and maybe be happy.
There's nothing in freestyle for him after college and I just think he's tired...

Per usual, If I knew anything I'd be rich so I'll defer to the experts.

Last edited:
I hear ya @LPW

He's a top four coach, maybe three?
Hard to say, obviously the better recruits the easier "coaching" and winning should get. Ryan's had a pretty full platter of recruits for several years. Better than some of those guys you might consider beneath him like Robie and Kolat and several others.
I don't see any coaches above him leaving their positions to come to OSU. Maybe Coleman Scott would be interested? Brian Smith perhaps? Maybe Lou gets a shot or perhaps it's Jaggers.

And as far as Sasso goes, he must carry that burden on his shoulders, much like Kharchla last weekend.
These are elite athletes and wrestlers. The routine shouldn't come as a surprise. When I say, "it's early," I'm mainly referring to getting the weight cut to a place where it doesn't hurt you. That wasn't the case for either in the last two weeks.
I believe Sasso has had enough. He has to grind this season out so he can move up next season and maybe be happy.
There's nothing in freestyle for him after college and I just think he's tired...

If I knew anything I'd be rich so I'll defer to the experts.

you might consider beneath him like Robie and Kolat and several others.
Stop it. Both are considerable...
Kolat likes to coach. Not sure about the rest of it that comes with an OSU job? He's said as much. Robie stuck around Blacksburg for like eleven years just to be the head coach. I'd be surprised if he wanted to come to CBUS.
What about Scott? Who are your others?

To say sasso is done or tired of it because of a bad match is way to obtuse.
I didn't form an opinion in one match. He was tired of the cut last season and did it poorly. He said so. He was gassed Fri. It's fixable. Ryan said the same after the match. We can disagree but, "obtuse" it's not.

How did the middle school national duals go for ya?

Last edited:
I didn't form an opinion in one match. He was tired of the cut last season and did it poorly. He said so. He was gassed Fri. It's fixable. Ryan said the same after the match. We can disagree but, "obtuse" it's not.

How did the middle school national duals go for ya?
It went great. That tournament is outstanding. If you have a problem with holdbacks, thats not a place you will enjoy. lol. He took a loss but coming straight from football Im really happy with how he is moving along with his wrestling. He didnt get taken down and scored a lot of points. The team we were on won it and I am so proud that he gets to be with kids like that. It truely is a blessing.

Stop it. Both are considerable...
Kolat likes to coach. Not sure about the rest of it that comes with an OSU job? He's said as much. Robie stuck around Blacksburg for like eleven years just to be the head coach. I'd be surprised if he wanted to come to CBUS.
What about Scott? Who are your others?
I'm actually not ripping on Ryan here, just bringing some opinions down to earth, not specifically yours. My belief is that don't judge your success on recruits that are almost guaranteed a certain amount of that success, judge it by a variety of other things that make a team a perennial power.....I dont need to name names there ;) An elite recruit isn't aways guaranteed to produce expectations, the rigors of juggling school and athletics girlfriends social time ......are exasperating, some coaches have a knack of getting the most out of ALL type of recruits, elite and not quite elite average etc . For me the jury is still out there on Ryan.

Long time season ticket holder and fan of the program...I don't see why Tom Ryan doesn't meet up to some fans expectations. I remember with Coach Hellickson being in a very quiet St. John arena with teams that couldn't come close to competing with the squads that Coach Ryan has put on the mats. I am grateful for what the man has brought to Columbus. Let's not chase him out with unreasonable expectations.

Long time season ticket holder and fan of the program...I don't see why Tom Ryan doesn't meet up to some fans expectations. I remember with Coach Hellickson being in a very quiet St. John arena with teams that couldn't come close to competing with the squads that Coach Ryan has put on the mats. I am grateful for what the man has brought to Columbus. Let's not chase him out with unreasonable expectations.
I too remember the Hellickson era.
This is a yearly topic with Coach Ryan, but it usually starts after the NCAA tournament.

Agreed, Ohio state in the 80's was not so hot. Ryan is crushing that decade...and the team he has now....WOW!
Now what matters...continually developing and growing their their ability to win, and to keep them healthy and happy and engaged to be their very best, and to be eligible and ready to be at peak performance come March. Somehow, Cael does this so very well; my opinion .....it is very faith based.
Tommy is quite spiritual as well..I really liked his book "Chosen Suffering"