Region 4 Semi-Finals: Elder(10-2) vs. Lakota West(12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the gameplan seemed very pass heavy tonight. Great season Elder. Hold your heads high. LW is a damn good team. 10-3 with that schedule is excellent. Lost to Moe, Lw, Eds. One of them will win state I would guess.

Yea the gameplan seemed very pass heavy tonight. Great season Elder. Hold your heads high. LW is a damn good team. 10-3 with that schedule is excellent. Lost to Moe, Lw, Eds. One of them will win state I would guess.
I thought this team would be pretty mediocre, so 10 wins is a big achievement.

According to the Spectrum broadcast Elder threw the ball 5 times in the 1st half. They were down 20-3 early 3rd Quarter and were averaging minimal yards on the ground, that's including the long run by Schoster in the 1st Quarter.

The West DL was stout. And their defensive team speed is elite. I expected Elder to be able to run the ball more effectively and I expected them to stop the run more then they did.

Great season though. I know many people didn't expect a 10-win season or even an 8-win season which they achieved in the regular season. I agree that one of Eds, Moeller or West should win state. Springfield may have something to say about it, but definitely a good bet one of the other 3. Thanks as always to the seniors, good luck in your future endeavors.

Kudos to the West defense for playing a dominant game. When you can’t consistently get much from the run game and receivers are rarely open, it’s gonna be a rough night.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

According to the Spectrum broadcast Elder threw the ball 5 times in the 1st half. They were down 20-3 early 3rd Quarter and were averaging minimal yards on the ground, that's including the long run by Schoster in the 1st Quarter.

The West DL was stout. And their defensive team speed is elite. I expected Elder to be able to run the ball more effectively and I expected them to stop the run more then they did.

Great season though. I know many people didn't expect a 10-win season or even an 8-win season which they achieved in the regular season. I agree that one of Eds, Moeller or West should win state. Springfield may have something to say about it, but definitely a good bet one of the other 3. Thanks as always to the seniors, good luck in your future endeavors.
How many other passes ended up as scrambles?

Elder needs just a few more athletes to really compete. Harmeling will be a big boost to the Offense, but they still need more speed in the Secondary. Really wish Cam Williams stuck with football

Run to set up the pass. They still would’ve needed to throw the ball
Whatever you have to tell yourself.

I've been saying all year that the way to winning is to pound the ball, especially in November. Go figure the team that won ran the ball better.

Now, I couldn't make any games tonight, but Elder had a great season. The few games of theirs I saw this year, they were definitely one of the better Elder teams. Way to represent the West Side!

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

I've been saying all year that the way to winning is to pound the ball, especially in November. Go figure the team that won ran the ball better.

Now, I couldn't make any games tonight, but Elder had a great season. The few games of theirs I saw this year, they were definitely one of the better Elder teams. Way to represent the West Side!
It’s not, it’s about balance. West still had to throw the ball. That said, it looked like there was some miscommunication in the Secondary on some of those plays.

It’s not, it’s about balance. West still had to throw the ball. That said, it looked like there was some miscommunication in the Secondary on some of those plays.
West wasn't balanced, and neither was Elder.....West ran better. And, no, West didn't have to pass, they scored 1 TD through the air and 2 on the ground. Take away their 1 pass TD and they still win by double digits.

West wasn't balanced, and neither was Elder.....West ran better. And, no, West didn't have to pass, they scored 1 TD through the air and 2 on the ground. Take away their 1 pass TD and they still win by double digits.
They still had to throw to set up those TDs. They hit the Sail/Corner Route more than a few times.

Again, if you only have to run the ball, why did Colerain, with all those LOADED teams, only win one state title?

I realize it was an uphill battle for Elder but the offensive play calling made no sense. How is throwing a deep corner route to a 5'9" WR against LW your best option? Why didn't the big TE run any drag routes or seam routes? No creativity with the Elder passing game. Elder gave it a good fight but without some really stupid penalties on LW that game was not that close.

They still had to throw to set up those TDs. They hit the Sail/Corner Route more than a few times.

Again, if you only have to run the ball, why did Colerain, with all those LOADED teams, only win one state title?
Colerain was notoriously undisciplined and coughed the ball up a lot under Coombs and Bolden. That's why

Max Lemasters finished the season a perfect 46-46 on extra points. I think he might be the only kicker in school history with anywhere near that many attempts to have not missed a PAT kick.

I realize it was an uphill battle for Elder but the offensive play calling made no sense. How is throwing a deep corner route to a 5'9" WR against LW your best option? Why didn't the big TE run any drag routes or seam routes? No creativity with the Elder passing game. Elder gave it a good fight but without some really stupid penalties on LW that game was not that close.
I agree with this.

Must be it, all those losses to X in playoffs with 6 in the box or Elder with 7 in the box.

Man talk about loading up the box on D.
i can tell you x didnt load the box. 3 3 stack all night for the most part. omar not the smartest.

btw, in case you guys didn't know LW has 4 d1 guys in secondary. its a pretty good advantage at the high school level.

jtk
()

Must be it, all those losses to X in playoffs with 6 in the box or Elder with 7 in the box.

Man talk about loading up the box on D.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but they never point up a lot of points in those losses and quite often they had Defenses loaded with D1 talent

i can tell you x didnt load the box. 3 3 stack all night for the most part. omar not the smartest.

btw, in case you guys didn't know LW has 4 d1 guys in secondary. its a pretty good advantage at the high school level.

jtk
()
They were able to play their Safety/Adjuster in the box, that made a difference.

They were able to play their Safety/Adjuster in the box, that made a difference.
yes, but not a significant one. JMO. im not arguing with anyone, just stating X didn't break the stack too often.

jtk
()

Elder had a great season. They lost to 3 Ohio teams that are still in the playoffs.... Moeller, St Ed's and LW. Special thanks to this years seniors. Enjoy the rest of your final year at Elder, it goes by so fast!

Elder got the most out of their talent and I can give Ramsey credit for also over achieving a bit. But the guy has to be creative with the offense when playing a team like LW. You are not going to win that game being super conservative

Elder got the most out of their talent and I can give Ramsey credit for also over achieving a bit. But the guy has to be creative with the offense when playing a team like LW. You are not going to win that game being super conservative

They threw the ball way more than I thought they would, there was just nothing open. I would’ve liked to see them run Reuter more early.

We can deconstruct Xs and Os all we want, but the bottom line… Elder needs better athletes. They’re usually good about having QBs, TEs, OL, Slot WRs, DL, LBs, and Safeties. But they don’t usually don’t have a true X WR who can take the top off a Defense, a legitimate All Purpose RB who has speed but can also run bw the Tackles and a lockdown Corner.

Harmeling does have elite speed but he’s more of a hybrid Scat Back/Slot WR. The younger Re also has elite speed, not sure he has the size to line up on the boundary one on one. Corners will be decent vs most competition, but they’re going to struggle again vs teams that have fast WRs.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the coaching staff did a great job this yr. They had a lot of very good high school players, but not D1 talent like Moe or LW and thats who they ended up losing to.

I agree. I think the coaching staff did a great job this yr. They had a lot of very good high school players, but not D1 talent like Moe or LW and thats who they ended up losing to.
They need to figure out how to get more D1 talent at the skill positions into the program. Imagine what this staff could do with just 1-2 elite skill players. I expect Dugan, Schorsch McKenna, Boeing, Arnold, and Cowans to be D1 players. But no RBs or WRs are close to D1 players. Frankly, they don’t have a true every down RB in the program at all. Evan Meier will probably get the bulk of carries next yr, but he’s similar to Flowers, where he’s more of a 3rd Down Back. Trenton Meyer was the JV RB, he has potential, but he’s got to develop. Outside of young Re, none of the WRs have big play potential. There’s some good HS level WRs that have good hands, run good routes and block their a** off, but they don’t scare Defenses.

Next yr, they’ll be good again, but I don’t see how they can overcome Moeller’s talent advantage.

Now that the season is over I too am very proud of what these players and coaches accomplished.
I think the better team won last night and our team overall speed was just not competitive enough. And I am not sure if it will be in the future unless the philosophy changes on trying to find a few players each year that are not in the traditional Elder mold. It appears this is the way Elder wants to roll and I will just have to accept it because I will always back the only high school that I want all my grandsons to go to.

Now that the season is over I too am very proud of what these players and coaches accomplished.
I think the better team won last night and our team overall speed was just not competitive enough. And I am not sure if it will be in the future unless the philosophy changes on trying to find a few players each year that are not in the traditional Elder mold. It appears this is the way Elder wants to roll and I will just have to accept it because I will always back the only high school that I want all my grandsons to go to.
I don’t like the defeatist attitude, they were in the state title game 3 yrs ago, so it’s not impossible to compete at the highest level. Why spend all that $ on a new weight room if you’re not serious about competing? Elder isnt going to chase after players, but they’re not going to keep them out of the school. This is why they have to figure out a way to get those kids interested in Elder. It does help more kids from Price Hill are playing for Victory. They should be getting a few good athletes they wouldn’t normally get in the incoming class.

I do hope Ramsey and his staff is around long enough to get one more crack at a title. It’s pretty apparent, he’s one of the better coaches in the state. I don’t t think there’s more than a handful of other coaches that could win 10 games vs that schedule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.