Best Nicknames in College Football

AEW Champion

“Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below.”

With the above passage from Grantland Rice, the greatest nickname in college football history was born: The Four Horsemen.

But there are plenty of others. A couple jump to my mind: The Pony Express for SMU’s Eric Dickerson and Craig James, and Super Roy for Williams after his Superman-like dive into Chris Simms, causing the game-sealing pick-six by Teddy Lehman in the Red River Shootout in 2001.

Sometimes you see something special brewing and a perfect nickname just organically presents itself. And special people are usually the first to see it coming, which is why I have a new nickname to insert into the history books today. Game recognize game. Special recognize special. (I’ve always been special — my mom told me so, and even today people still call me special, although they often whisper it behind my back when they think I’m not listening, which I appreciate because they just don’t want me to have a big ego; thanks for keeping me humble!)

Anyway, I digress. College football, like life, is cyclical, and just as the Four Horsemen were coined nearly a century ago in South Bend, it’s time to enter a new nickname into the college football lexicon: The Holy Trinity.

That’s right: Notre Dame running backs Audric Estime, Logan Diggs and Chris Tyree are the Holy Trinity! These men batter teams to the tune of 200 yards a game on the ground and complement each other perfectly.

Estime is the Father, the closest thing to Jerome Bettis that college football has seen in three decades. Logan Diggs is the Son, the nearly as powerful complement. And Chris Three is the Holy Spirit, an entity who sprints by you so fast you’ll look like you’re trying to tackle a ghost!

When these men are anointed The Holy Trinity on the way toward a 2023 Notre Dame national championship, don’t forget that AEW Champion was the one building the altar for The Holy Trinity before anyone else.

Now, I am sure there are plenty of historical college football nicknames I didn’t mention for brevity’s sake, so please give us your favorite college football nicknames as well as how your life has changed from watching the Four Horsemen and the Holy Trinity.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

This is not a contribution of favorite college football nicknames.

“Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below.”

With the above passage from Grantland Rice, the greatest nickname in college football history was born: The Four Horsemen.

But there are plenty of others. A couple jump to my mind: The Pony Express for SMU’s Eric Dickerson and Craig James, and Super Roy for Williams after his Superman-like dive into Chris Simms, causing the game-sealing pick-six by Teddy Lehman in the Red River Shootout in 2001.

Sometimes you see something special brewing and a perfect nickname just organically presents itself. And special people are usually the first to see it coming, which is why I have a new nickname to insert into the history books today. Game recognize game. Special recognize special. (I’ve always been special — my mom told me so, and even today people still call me special, although they often whisper it behind my back when they think I’m not listening, which I appreciate because they just don’t want me to have a big ego; thanks for keeping me humble!)

Anyway, I digress. College football, like life, is cyclical, and just as the Four Horsemen were coined nearly a century ago in South Bend, it’s time to enter a new nickname into the college football lexicon: The Holy Trinity.

That’s right: Notre Dame running backs Audric Estime, Logan Diggs and Chris Tyree are the Holy Trinity! These men batter teams to the tune of 200 yards a game on the ground and complement each other perfectly.

Estime is the Father, the closest thing to Jerome Bettis that college football has seen in three decades. Logan Diggs is the Son, the nearly as powerful complement. And Chris Three is the Holy Spirit, an entity who sprints by you so fast you’ll look like you’re trying to tackle a ghost!

When these men are anointed The Holy Trinity on the way toward a 2023 Notre Dame national championship, don’t forget that AEW Champion was the one building the altar for The Holy Trinity before anyone else.

Now, I am sure there are plenty of historical college football nicknames I didn’t mention for brevity’s sake, so please give us your favorite college football nicknames as well as how your life has changed from watching the Four Horsemen and the Holy Trinity.

This isn't either.

Stetson Hatters
Delaware Blue Hens
The Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech
The Auburn Tigas/Plainsmen/War Eagles
The North Dakota State BIZON

Delaware Blue Hens.
Wake Forest DEMON Deacons.
The Stetson Hatters.
The Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech.
The North Carolina Tarheels.
The Tulane Green Wave.
The Virginia Tech Gobblers
The North Dakota State BIZON
The Virginia Tech Hokies
The Marshall Golden Herd.
Presbyterian Blue Hose
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Akron Zips
Ohio St. Buckeyes

1689913835991.png