Tuesday State Semifinal Updates and Finals

SirStanley

Waynesville 4-0 over Marietta with 25 minutes left in the 1st half (D2)
CCD 2-0 over Lynchburg-Clay middle first half (D3)
Ottawa-Glandorf and Akron Manchester scoreless mid first half (D3)

CCD up 3-0 on Lynchburg-Clay in the second half (D3)
Ottawa-Glandorf 2-0 over Manchester in the second half (D3)

Seton over Orange 2-1
Just got back from the Seton match - what a great game to witness. Two evenly match teams, reffing was solid for the most part and one heck of a shot to end the game! Seton faithful showed up in force - 6 buses of students make the trip - made the Seton cheering section stand the whole match - Olentangy wouldn't let them on their side

Maybe Olentangy will know who Seton is now :)

Just got back from the Seton match - what a great game to witness. Two evenly match teams, reffing was solid for the most part and one heck of a shot to end the game! Seton faithful showed up in force - 6 buses of students make the trip - made the Seton cheering section stand the whole match - Olentangy wouldn't let them on their side

Maybe Olentangy will know who Seton is now :)
Congratulations on the win! How did you like the Centerville Soccer Stadium? I was up in Centerville last night for a Funeral Visitation; afterwards I was walking through a parking lot on my way to Flying Pizza which is about a mile West of the stadium and I could hear the loud cheering and figured a game was going on. I looked at my phone and read that Seton was up there playing in the Semi's.
Little history; that was the original football stadium dating back to the 50's. It wasn't converted until the new football stadium was built next to the new high school. The building out front of the soccer stadium was the high school built back in 1928; it's still being used today as one of the four middle schools. Hope you all had fun!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the win! How did you like the Centerville Soccer Stadium? I was up in Centerville last night for a Funeral Visitation; afterwards I was walking through a parking lot on my way to Flying Pizza which is about a mile West of the stadium and I could hear the loud cheering and figured a game was going on. I looked at my phone and read that Seton was up there playing in the Semi's.
Little history; that was the original football stadium dating back to the 50's. I wasn't converted until the new football stadium was built next to the new high school. The building out front of the soccer stadium as the high school built back in 1928; it's still being used today as one of the four middle schools. Hope you all had fun!
Thanks for the history lesson. Centerville's soccer only stadium is awesome! I love that no track surrounds the field which is very rare in high school.

The issue last night is Seton was the visiting team and brought 1000+ people. The visitors section has seating for maybe 500? Thus the entire student body (7 busloads) was forced to stand along the fence to watch the game. It made for a great atmosphere but you charge each girl $8+ per ticket but don't provide them a seat?

Not sure what the answer is other than recognizing the pre-sale tickets sold and allowing seats for each person. If a specific venue has a drastic difference between home and away, the team bringing all the fans should be on the larger side.

Either way, what a remarkable run Seton has been on pulling upsets over Milford and MND and then beating a VERY skilled Olentangy team in double overtime!

Last edited:
Congrats to Seton - is that the second or third game in a row with the same shot from the same spot in the very last minute of the game to win it?!! One would think Strongsville would have to plan for tighter midfield coverage if they find themselves tied with Seton coming down to the whistle - ha!

Disappointing for Seton student section for sure, seems like with OHSAA site asking you which team you're buying the ticket to see in the drop down before checkout that there's no good reason that that should ever happen in the final four (leading up to state, sure, 'visitor' is the price you pay for being the lower ranked team, but not at state).

Thanks for the history lesson. Centerville's soccer only stadium is awesome! I love that no track surrounds the field which is very rare in high school.

The issue last night is Seton was the visiting team and brought 1000+ people. The visitors section has seating for maybe 500? Thus the entire student body (7 busloads) was forced to stand along the fence to watch the game. It made for a great atmosphere but you charge each girl $8+ per ticket but don't provide them a seat?

Not sure what the answer is other than recognizing the pre-sale tickets sold and allowing seats for each person. If a specific venue has a drastic difference between home and away, the team bringing all the fans should be on the larger side.

Either way, what a remarkable run Seton has been on pulling upsets over Milford and MND and then beating a VERY skilled Olentangy team in double overtime!
Couldn't agree more. Just a great venue to watch, clean & parking was easy to get in and out

Congrats to Seton - is that the second or third game in a row with the same shot from the same spot in the very last minute of the game to win it?!! One would think Strongsville would have to plan for tighter midfield coverage if they find themselves tied with Seton coming down to the whistle - ha!

Disappointing for Seton student section for sure, seems like with OHSAA site asking you which team you're buying the ticket to see in the drop down before checkout that there's no good reason that that should ever happen in the final four (leading up to state, sure, 'visitor' is the price you pay for being the lower ranked team, but not at state).
Yes, they beat MND on a similar shot with one minute remaining in the Regional final.

Like I said, it made for an electric atmosphere but the OHSAA should either not charge full price (yeah right) for "standing room only" or switch the home/away designations under this situation.

Last edited:
Outstanding atmosphere and was disappointed that Seton fans were crammed into the small stands and Olentagy had maybe 150 fans and had the the largest stands. Had no issues with the Refs as they did a solid job, ate their whistle towards the end of regulation and OT on a few calls, but i get not wanting to decide a semi-final with a whistle. Love the way Seton moves the ball and they are a super young team!

Outstanding atmosphere and was disappointed that Seton fans were crammed into the small stands and Olentagy had maybe 150 fans and had the the largest stands. Had no issues with the Refs as they did a solid job, ate their whistle towards the end of regulation and OT on a few calls, but i get not wanting to decide a semi-final with a whistle. Love the way Seton moves the ball and they are a super young team!
I never bought into that philosophy (as I have reffed) - if it is a foul in the first five minutes then it is a foul in the last five minutes - the athletes do decide >> the player decided to foul another player. How can an offensive athlete make a play to score if they are tripped/grabbed? The ref should be just reacting to what the players are doing on a consistent basis.

I never bought into that philosophy (as I have reffed) - if it is a foul in the first five minutes then it is a foul in the last five minutes - the athletes do decide >> the player decided to foul another player. How can an offensive athlete make a play to score if they are tripped/grabbed? The ref should be just reacting to what the players are doing on a consistent basis.
I agree with you a foul is a foul no matter when it happens, but a lot of refs are not going to determine an outcome of a game that big unless it's blatant. A couple of take downs in the box late i thought could've been called, but weren't.

I agree with you a foul is a foul no matter when it happens, but a lot of refs are not going to determine an outcome of a game that big unless it's blatant. A couple of take downs in the box late i thought could've been called, but weren't.
I agree with the take downs and was surprised especially by the one in the first OT.

To me, the mentality of the refs deciding an outcome is not the right frame of mind - the player decided to foul, the ref is reacting to it. What the wrong reffing approach is if they called that foul earlier in the game then it they don't later in the game- consistency is the main goal with judging a ref.

Last edited: