Region 4 Semi-Finals: Elder(10-2) vs. Lakota West(12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now we know why you’re no longer a DC. I’ll take a shot on a skinny post with my fastest WR in Man cvg. A quick Hitch/Slant would also force the Corner to make a tackle one on one in open space. If he misses the tackle, it’s a huge play.
Completely my choice, but nice try.

You would not be able to get that pass off in man coverage.

I'm watching TCU, they just got a 38 yard gain against cover 0 on a deep go route along the sideline.

I love a good argument as much as the next guy, but you simply do not know even the simplest concepts in football and every time you try to sound like you do you make yourself sound worse every time. You go right to your defense mechanisms by putting people down. It's hilarious how you cope with your own insecurities like a 5 year old child. Keep em coming!

Completely my choice, but nice try.

You would not be able to get that pass off in man coverage.

I'm watching TCU, they just got a 38 yard gain against cover 0 on a deep go route along the sideline.

I love a good argument as much as the next guy, but you simply do not know even the simplest concepts in football and every time you try to sound like you do you make yourself sound worse every time. You go right to your defense mechanisms by putting people down. It's hilarious how you cope with your own insecurities like a 5 year old child. Keep em coming!
You’re the one who doesn’t understand things. It’s simple, you take what the Defense gives you and you take a shot to the middle of the field where the Safeties are vacated. There’s a reason Defenses don’t run this cvg often, because it’s a huge risk

They're no longer a safety. This isn't rocket science.
In the alignment, but if they’re lining up at Safety 9 times out of 10, they’re still safeties by position. It’s the same as motioning a RB to line up in the slot. He’s lined up as a WR for that play, but he’s still a RB in their Offense.

If they roll into the box, you need to have them accounted for.
No you don't, your back needs to make someone miss. You can't account for bodies who "might" be there. Now if the safeties are coming down hard in run support every down, then you can adjust your blocking scheme by sending a slot WR up to the safety or adding another body to account for them. Of course then there's always the play-action pass, which Elder has used on occasion very effectively this year.

That's literally the last place you attack in zero coverage.

In man coverage DBs play with inside leverage and are taught to not let anyone inside.

You run double moves, rub routes, outside routes and challenge deep, not the middle.

In cover 2 you attack the middle.
In Cover 0 there isn't a safety in the middle of the field, so really you're attacking the best matchup where you think your guy can win. Slot fades are extremely popular right now against that coverage, but a big TE or speedy WR can win on a seam route down the middle against 0. Throws down the middle of the field with no safety are easier than throws along the sideline IMO.

Cover 1, you're definitely trying those outside throws - fades, corners, but also rubs and double moves. Cover 2, provided you can get those safeties deep, then it opens the middle of the field. Always seems like the 10-yard dig route is open against 2 safeties. There usually are nice soft spots between the LBs as well. Elder used to do a really nice job of hitting that 10-yard bend/middle route. Haven't seen much of that this year.

No you don't, your back needs to make someone miss. You can't account for bodies who "might" be there. Now if the safeties are coming down hard in run support every down, then you can adjust your blocking scheme by sending a slot WR up to the safety or adding another body to account for them. Of course then there's always the play-action pass, which Elder has used on occasion very effectively this year.

Scroll to the bottom paragraph about Pre Snap RPOs.

In Cover 0 there isn't a safety in the middle of the field, so really you're attacking the best matchup where you think your guy can win. Slot fades are extremely popular right now against that coverage, but a big TE or speedy WR can win on a seam route down the middle against 0. Throws down the middle of the field with no safety are easier than throws along the sideline IMO.

Cover 1, you're definitely trying those outside throws - fades, corners, but also rubs and double moves. Cover 2, provided you can get those safeties deep, then it opens the middle of the field. Always seems like the 10-yard dig route is open against 2 safeties. There usually are nice soft spots between the LBs as well. Elder used to do a really nice job of hitting that 10-yard bend/middle route. Haven't seen much of that this year.
Elder is more efficient throwing the ball, but they don’t throw it nearly as much as pvs years, they don’t need to. This team’s strength is it’s Defense. The Offense’s strength is running the ball even though they don’t have a dominant RB.

Last edited:

I agree with matchups. I used to teach my DBs to be extremely physical and reroute the WRs. Make constant contact until the ball is thrown. And they would not give up the inside under any circumstances. As a DC, I want you to throw outside when I'm in man coverage.... I want my defenders between the QB and WR, make the QB throw over/around my defenders.... Not too many QBs can make that throw in high school and there's not too many WRs that handle that amount of contact well.

The downside is we would get typically 2 PI calls a game..... I was always ok with those over TDs. It's easier to tell kids to back off a bit than to play more aggressively.

Also in zero, most teams bring pressure, deep and slant routes are difficult because defenders wont let them inside quick enough before pressure gets there.

Good discussion!!

Scroll to the bottom paragraph about Pre Snap RPOs.
You're link essentially goes against what you are trying to say. It talks quite a bit about figuring out who you are NOT going to block in the box ( all the diagrams even show 7 man boxes with 2 high safeties).

There was even a great quote about how running the ball will win you the majority of high school football games.

The last section that you pointed to talks about the QB making a presnap read, nothing about blocking scheme or anything about who may or may not be there. And I can promise you the type of read that the article is mentioning, almost no QB in high school is making that (except the super elite ones)

Now, if you want easy RPO reads for QBs, have the QB simply look at safeties.... 2 safeties.... Its a run, 1 or 0 safeties pass..... Have a package of 4 or so base plays that have that RPO read, it's completely idiot proof and very effective. And with that, blocking does NOT change at all, because OLine is never responsible for blocking the secondary.

You're link essentially goes against what you are trying to say. It talks quite a bit about figuring out who you are NOT going to block in the box ( all the diagrams even show 7 man boxes with 2 high safeties).

There was even a great quote about how running the ball will win you the majority of high school football games.

The last section that you pointed to talks about the QB making a presnap read, nothing about blocking scheme or anything about who may or may not be there. And I can promise you the type of read that the article is mentioning, almost no QB in high school is making that (except the super elite ones)

Now, if you want easy RPO reads for QBs, have the QB simply look at safeties.... 2 safeties.... Its a run, 1 or 0 safeties pass..... Have a package of 4 or so base plays that have that RPO read, it's completely idiot proof and very effective. And with that, blocking does NOT change at all, because OLine is never responsible for blocking the secondary.
I said they needed to be accounted for, not that they needed to be blocked. You have to know if they’re lining up in the box or not.

I said they needed to be accounted for, not that they needed to be blocked. You have to know if they’re lining up in the box or not.
We were talking about blocking schemes, you said account for them. To 99% of people that would mean you are also talking about blocking.

I've never in my life encountered someone who says so much without actually saying anything.

That paragraph you pointed out literally says nothing about guys in the secondary lining up in the box.

We were talking about blocking schemes, you said account for them. To 99% of people that would mean you are also talking about blocking.

I've never in my life encountered someone who says so much without actually saying anything.

That paragraph you pointed out literally says nothing about guys in the secondary lining up in the box.
What do you think “based on the behavior of that defender” means?

“As a 7th or 8th defender that is responsible for one of the receivers becomes aggressive in the run-game, the quarterback will see movement in the pre-snap, and throw or give based upon the behavior of that defender. “

What do you think “based on the behavior of that defender” means?

“As a 7th or 8th defender that is responsible for one of the receivers becomes aggressive in the run-game, the quarterback will see movement in the pre-snap, and throw or give based upon the behavior of that defender. “
Not where he lines up. It means what he is doing. If he is abandoning his pass responsibilities for the run (becoming aggressive in thr run-game) like it says.... Then you pass tje ball. If he is bailing hard because he's afraid of the pass, you give it.

It is not where he lines up.

Not where he lines up. It means what he is doing. If he is abandoning his pass responsibilities for the run (becoming aggressive in thr run-game) like it says.... Then you pass tje ball. If he is bailing hard because he's afraid of the pass, you give it.

It is not where he lines up.
It’s pre snap.

I can’t imagine they go Cover 0 very often. Their Corners are good, but they don’t have Afari & Jyaire Brown like last yr. If Elder sees that cover 0 look, they could just throw a quick Slant/Skinny Post out to Re and force the LW defender to make a play.
This is a bad take Omar, if West goes 0 they have Fussel - Northwestern commit, Minich - Norte Dame commit, Hartford - Ohio State commit, Drew Minich is a player will be a late bloomer D1 commit, and Bennie Powell with mutiple Power 5 offers. This is by far the hardest secondary you guys have played by quite a bit.

This is a bad take Omar, if West goes 0 they have Fussel - Northwestern commit, Minich - Norte Dame commit, Hartford - Ohio State commit, Drew Minich is a player will be a late bloomer D1 commit, and Bennie Powell with mutiple Power 5 offers. This is by far the hardest secondary you guys have played by quite a bit.
This will be the toughest defense Elder has seen all season. Moeller has a really good defense as well, but I give the edge between the two to West.

This will be the toughest defense Elder has seen all season. Moeller has a really good defense as well, but I give the edge between the two to West.
This is a better defense then Moeller, not talking trash on Moeller’s defense at all just saying Omar saying this secondary isn’t as good is false. It’s a bad take by Omar but learning just a little from this all Elder thread so far Omar is full of bad takes.

Lakota West has a lot of Dudes and incredible team speed. They will be playing several of their guys both ways.

My prediction is this game is played at StX.

This is a better defense then Moeller, not talking trash on Moeller’s defense at all just saying Omar saying this secondary isn’t as good is false. It’s a bad take by Omar but learning just a little from this all Elder thread so far Omar is full of bad takes.
I didn’t say they weren’t good. They just don’t have a 5* like Brown.

Won't be at Mason.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-130520_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-130520_Facebook.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.