2022 BENEDICTINE FOOTBALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t 7 for Nordonia have two defensive TDs last night?
I watched a good chunk of the game.
Benedictine offense just really has not many guys to make plays and the system they run is not the best for what they got.
The power pistol stuff was good I thought.
Benny #7 needed more carries.

I thought Benny D Line and LB’s were pretty good though.
Tough season and wish Bengals best of luck moving forward.
#28 for Benedictine is a good running back he had a pretty good game.

Come home Pete Germano
CE5B10D3-91CB-4875-9472-49ECD89DFC30.jpeg

Brian Stephenson is a name I don't think many people are seeing as a 'not-so-obvious' choice. He is now working at Benny, was the Head Coach at Hawken, plenty of experience. Not my choice, but a name I could see

I had heard they were really impressed with Stephenson. He does have head coaching experience and built the current Hawken team that is having a lot of success this season.

There has been a lot of negative energy here to Coach Goode and the staff but I hope all realize there is still a person on the other side of this banter that has a family and has tried, maybe not with the best results, to give his best effort for the school. I for one thank him for the efforts and wish him the best moving forward. I also sincerely hope the entire Goode family stays engaged at the school as they are one of the bigger names that have been associated with the program.
My impression is that he is a standup guy. He really truly cares about the young men at Benedictine. Just didn't work out for a lot of reasons

Whoops was on page 51 when I posted Zagorksi...

Didn't see the other people mention him. Out of curiosity, why is he a no?
What is in it for him to go there?

Gilmour Academy Head Football Coach Zagorski has led the Lancers to a 9-1 record in his 1st season on the job.
His leadership of the football program has generated quite a buzz around the GA community.
The future of the football program is very bright and will continue to steadily grow under his leadership.

GA very badly wanted a HC who worked in the building during the day and got one.
Coach has a desirable role at the school and it would be the all time stunner if he left for his alma mater Benedictine.
From the people that I have talked to that know him.....I mean it would be a stunner if that occurred.
But ya never know I guess.

hire former Gilmour coach Kasiorek. He’s won at two places and is young and very familiar with CYO circuit.
Chris Kosiorek is a very experienced, quality HS football coach and a good guy.
He was also a young assistant at Benny for one of their state championship teams mid 1990's maybe?
My opinion is that he could possibly do well at a place like Benny and is a Catholic school advocate for sure.
Does he want the job?.....Who knows.
Lotta drama over there.

@Over The Hills very good insight! I am echoing (again) the same thing, Tommy Z wanted this job years ago, but it is not in the cards now. He is married, with kids and he can build something really special at Gilmour. I hate to say this, but other than tradition (which I believe kids care VERY VERY little about) what makes Benny a better job than GA? I don't see very many.

Kosiorek wouldn't be the worst choice, I think he is a guy who can have success there. But I just think there are better choices out there, including a few alums, which yes I know didn't do anything for Goode, but it matters at a place like Benny.

@Over The Hills very good insight! I am echoing (again) the same thing, Tommy Z wanted this job years ago, but it is not in the cards now. He is married, with kids and he can build something really special at Gilmour. I hate to say this, but other than tradition (which I believe kids care VERY VERY little about) what makes Benny a better job than GA? I don't see very many.

Kosiorek wouldn't be the worst choice, I think he is a guy who can have success there. But I just think there are better choices out there, including a few alums, which yes I know didn't do anything for Goode, but it matters at a place like Benny.
Maybe I am in the minority, but the school's tradition played a major factor in my decision to attend Benedictine so I disagree that kids care very little about it. I had no prior ties to the school and lived 30+ minutes away so it was a significant differentiator relative to the other co-ed Catholic schools in the area I was considering at the time.

I understand your broader point in that Gilmour offers a lot of things for a coach and his family that Benedictine cannot. However, is there any realistic path towards Gilmour ever being relevant at the state level (ie., competing for state championships)? I have the upmost respect for Zagorski and he would obviously be the perfect HC for Benedictine, but if that is not realistic there are other coaches out there that are not content with maximizing the potential of a mediocre program that has almost no chance of playing meaningful football games in November. That is one thing that Benedictine offers that a lot of other schools can't, they just have to find the right guy (easier said than done) who values the ability / potential to compete for state championships over some of the other things that may make other jobs more attractive.

Maybe I am in the minority, but the school's tradition played a major factor in my decision to attend Benedictine so I disagree that kids care very little about it. I had no prior ties to the school and lived 30+ minutes away so it was a significant differentiator relative to the other co-ed Catholic schools in the area I was considering at the time.

I understand your broader point in that Gilmour offers a lot of things for a coach and his family that Benedictine cannot. However, is there any realistic path towards Gilmour ever being relevant at the state level (ie., competing for state championships)? I have the upmost respect for Zagorski and he would obviously be the perfect HC for Benedictine, but if that is not realistic there are other coaches out there that are not content with maximizing the potential of a mediocre program that has almost no chance of playing meaningful football games in November. That is one thing that Benedictine offers that a lot of other schools can't, they just have to find the right guy (easier said than done) who values the ability / potential to compete for state championships over some of the other things that may make other jobs more attractive.
I have a similar story, I came there for the same reasons you described but for me that was 20-25 years ago, kids now a days I don't think care that much about it, at least not many kids

As I have laid out before, I think that there are several REALLY GOOD AND HARD-WORKING alumni who are assistants at other places or already head coaches at other spots who could take over tomorrow and get this thing turned around rather quickly. Not saying next year this is a playoff team or that 2-3 years from now its competing for a state title, but the mindset and attitude would do a complete 180, very confident in that.

I would imagine there will be 100+ applicants for this job, some more serious than others, so I don't doubt the committee/admins will have their pick of good candidates. The real question(s) will be do they lowball (cheap) a deal, do they hire a buddy who was their friend in grade school, do they 'settle' on their 5-6th choice?

OMG solid constructive discussion on this thread, what has become of the world? :)

Not sure Benedictine will have 100+ applicants for this job but they will have quite a few back channel inquiries testing out the waters, most will be asking about some of the negatives associate to the job. Like I said above the good news is guys in current jobs can apply knowing their names will not get out in the public unlike when for example Mentor finally opens up you will see a list a mile long with many big names testing those waters. My guess at the top of the list of concerns is pay followed closely by job security as the school has been churning through head coaches. It looks like the trend these days it to not only pay market rate for the actual HC/Teaching job but to supplement this with a created non-teaching job that will not throw off the current teacher salary structure in the building. Is there someone ready to step up and help a financially challenged school make pay a non-issue? That is the biggest question.

A word on Gilmour... Over the Hills and I have sparred on this school in the past but things seem to be changing over there with regards to their boys sports programs. They have always had the facilities and the education is of a classic prep school variety, could be a potent advantage if they were willing to be like their girls programs and get as aggressive on student attraction and not play favorites to full paying customers. I don't want to get specifics here, (we can trade messages if need Over) but things got different the past couple of years and to think they are not a player now in football is very short sighted. Any Bengal fans here take a second and look at what their hoops program did last year? What makes you think the same thing cannot happen in football? Take a look at their roster, plenty of public school players and I even see an Iggy legacy. This is not your dad's Gilmour football team.

OMG solid constructive discussion on this thread, what has become of the world? :)

Not sure Benedictine will have 100+ applicants for this job but they will have quite a few back channel inquiries testing out the waters, most will be asking about some of the negatives associate to the job. Like I said above the good news is guys in current jobs can apply knowing their names will not get out in the public unlike when for example Mentor finally opens up you will see a list a mile long with many big names testing those waters. My guess at the top of the list of concerns is pay followed closely by job security as the school has been churning through head coaches. It looks like the trend these days it to not only pay market rate for the actual HC/Teaching job but to supplement this with a created non-teaching job that will not throw off the current teacher salary structure in the building. Is there someone ready to step up and help a financially challenged school make pay a non-issue? That is the biggest question.

A word on Gilmour... Over the Hills and I have sparred on this school in the past but things seem to be changing over there with regards to their boys sports programs. They have always had the facilities and the education is of a classic prep school variety, could be a potent advantage if they were willing to be like their girls programs and get as aggressive on student attraction and not play favorites to full paying customers. I don't want to get specifics here, (we can trade messages if need Over) but things got different the past couple of years and to think they are not a player now in football is very short sighted. Any Bengal fans here take a second and look at what their hoops program did last year? What makes you think the same thing cannot happen in football? Take a look at their roster, plenty of public school players and I even see an Iggy legacy. This is not your dad's Gilmour football team.
Auggie I might be wrong but either after Schaffer or Welo left (can't recall which) I remember there being over 90 applicants

Status
Not open for further replies.