Worst Mascots in Ohio

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is home to the:

Gwinn Model Towners
Ishpeming Hematites
West Iron County Wykons

On a side note, what's with calling the girls' teams the "Lady ___________" when the mascot is asexual?

Do we really need "Lady Yellow Jackets", "Lady Wildcats", etc?

Steve-O's favorite high school!
I'm hearing reports that due to animal cruelty concerns, Shelby's mascot will be changed to a different kind of whippet...
S.png

Middletown Middies

(Dresden) Tri Valley Scotties. Who here wants a small yippy dog as its mascot

Gwinn Model Towners
Ishpeming Hematites
West Iron County Wykons

On a side note, what's with calling the girls' teams the "Lady ___________" when the mascot is asexual?

Don't forget the Watersmeet Nimrods!

Also one of the best… Martins Ferry Purple Riders

Not too often a schools’ nickname comes from a canonically-significant work of American literature.

Gwinn Model Towners
Ishpeming Hematites
West Iron County Wykons

I always hated the Garrettsville Garfield " Lady G-Men"!!

In a league of good mascots. Philo Electrics, Crooksville Cermaics, Morgan’s Raiders, Sheridan Generals, and John Glenn Little Muskies
Ceramics is also kind of a lame nickname. Can you imagine talking in the future about your time in school and calling yourself something like "a proud Ceramic"

I've always thought that giving a proper name to anything is like naming your dog when it gets away from you. What do you want to yell aloud when you are chasing it?

I like odd nicknames. Nothing is worse than being a bulldog,warrior, eagle, tiger, or wildcat
True. It makes it more fun to try and see how the name represents the school. I think that Columbus may have been trying to hard when they got awarded an NHL franchise. Its a cool reason, one that I did not realize about Ohio, but its not really one that many Ohioans can identify with. Throw in Stinger, which was a cool mascot, and the nickname becomes really muddied. Is it a bug, or what is it?

True. It makes it more fun to try and see how the name represents the school. I think that Columbus may have been trying to hard when they got awarded an NHL franchise. Its a cool reason, one that I did not realize about Ohio, but its not really one that many Ohioans can identify with. Throw in Stinger, which was a cool mascot, and the nickname becomes really muddied. Is it a bug, or what is it?
Like in our district. No one really knows why south Webster is the Jeeps. Everyone has a different reason

Anderson Raptors

Not that I think they shouldn't have ditched "Redskins", but all their imagery is the dinosaur Raptor and even then it's the Jurassic Park version of a raptor, which is really fictionalized. You can make a dinosaur look as tough as can be and it will still look like something meant to appeal to babies. You've also opened yourself to extinction jokes.

It would have been cool if their raptor referred to encompassing all birds of prey, like the roller coaster at Cedar Point does.