Mercy McAuley now DII?

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
I noticed for the first time that Mercy McAuley is now D2, the only one of the GGCL teams that has dropped. What happened? Has their enrollment dropped that much that fast? Last Saturday Mercy McAuley won a D2 district race at VOA

Last edited:

I noticed for the first time that Mercy McAuley is now D2, the only one of the GGCL teams that has dropped. What happened? Has their enrollment dropped that much that fast? Last Saturday Mercy McAuley won a D2 district race at VOA
Sounds like they’d have a chance against LaSalle. 😉

As bad as La Salle is, they still finished ahead of seven teams at the district meet which doesn't say a lot about the status of cross country in SW Ohio. I took your statement literally and since both La Salle and McAuley ran the same course on the same days for both the league meet and district meet, I checked to see if McAuley's top finisher could prevent La Salle from having a perfect score in a dual meet against them.

I heard MM enrollment around 400. Not sure what’s going on but LaSalle &MM struggle for students and athletes. Both places are not ran very well is my opinion.

I was shocked when I saw that D2 race results. Two former D1 schools combine and become a D2 school? Seems like someone miscalculated when they thought the Mercy families would follow the school name to McCauley.

I was shocked when I saw that D2 race results. Two former D1 schools combine and become a D2 school? Seems like someone miscalculated when they thought the Mercy families would follow the school name to McCauley.

I do not know #s but, like Smarty said, I heard M&M was declining pretty significantly in enrollment.

Mercy McAuley (not Mercy McCauley) being in Division II doesn't surprise me. Both were very proud schools for years @ Division I, but neither had huge numbers separately. yj_runfan I think is correct in his/her assessment that there would be reluctance on the part of families following to the new combined school. The numbers may come back in time as the new combined school gains age. We shall see.

FYI - Cincinnati St. Ursula Academy was a Class AA / Division II school for many years before moving up to Division I in the 90s. So, #s can go both ways.

Definitely good for M Mc to be a big DII school rather than one of the smallest DI schools in the state. I hope they do well this Saturday and at state. It was good news for VOA D2 girls' teams that Madeira went down to DIII, but hearts sank a little when the news about M Mc came out.