Has a 16 seed ever beaten a 1 seed?

I know it just expanded a couple years ago. Who's been the closest if not?
To my knowldege, it has happened twice. The 1st time was in 2014 when #16 W. Chester Lakota West beat #1 Centerville. That was one of the years when D1 only had two regions so 16 teams qualified. Last year in D4 #16 Milan Edison beat #1 Bellevue.

2020 was all in that wanted to be in wasn't it? 2021, just look at every #1's first game on Joe Eitel. Let me see what I can find before others wake up.

IF it happens, D2R8 #16 La Salle vs. #1 Winton Woods would be a potential game where it could happen.
Not a chance...WW will roll over Lasalle this year...Defending state champs 10-0 regular season coaches will have them ready...

LaSalle is truly a 2-8 team (not very good this year) they were very close to 1-9.......

Colerain held them to 100 yards of offence -3 rushing and put up 250 on them. Had Colerain not turned it over 4 X (several on the goal line) they would have pulled out a W. And Colerain is a bad team as well…
Winton Woods averages over 200 yards rushing per contest.
LaSalle 85 yards rushing per contest and it is MUCH worse than that if you take out the 350 yards rushing they gained vs. the Girl scout troop RICC.... This year LaSalle is bad, real bad.....

Last edited:
Not a #16 seed, but #13 seed Mooney would probably knock off everyone in the region except for South Range and Garaway.

Last year #15 SV-SM lost by only 3 points to #2 Dover.

Not a chance...WW will roll over Lasalle this year...Defending state champs 10-0 regular season coaches will have them ready...

LaSalle is truly a 2-8 team (not very good this year) they were very close to 1-9.......

Colerain held them to 100 yards of offence -3 rushing and put up 250 on them. Had Colerain not turned it over 4 X (several on the goal line) they would have pulled out a W. And Colerain is a bad team as well…
Winton Woods averages over 200 yards rushing per contest.
LaSalle 85 yards rushing per contest and it is MUCH worse than that if you take out the 350 yards rushing they gained vs. the Girl scout troop RICC.... This year LaSalle is bad, real bad.....
Not a fan of Cincinnati schools here at all. Yes, LaSalle truly is a 2-8 team this year. However, 90% of the teams in the state would be 2-8 or worse with that schedule. LaSalle would beat 90% or more of the teams in D2 this year. Winton Woods will probably win that game, and have a very good chance at repeating. But, I guarantee their coach is sweating this matchup.

To my knowldege, it has happened twice. The 1st time was in 2014 when #16 W. Chester Lakota West beat #1 Centerville. That was one of the years when D1 only had two regions so 16 teams qualified. Last year in D4 #16 Milan Edison beat #1 Bellevue.
?? 2014 only the top 8 made it into the playoffs

In ‘13 and ‘14 OHSAA was doing that weird phase of two regions of 32 for Division I, where the regions were roughly split north-and-south and 16 qualified-in from each of the two.

In ‘13 and ‘14 OHSAA was doing that weird phase of two regions of 32 for Division I, where the regions were roughly split north-and-south and 16 qualified-in from each of the two.
That is correct. OHSAA also did it in 2015. I guess my original post did not make that clear. In any case in 2014, in D1, R2, W. Chester Lakota West was the #16 seed and they defeated #1 seed Centerville. Last year in D4, R14, #16 Milan Edison defeated #1 Bellevue. To date those are the only two times a #16 has defeated a #1.

That is correct. OHSAA also did it in 2015. I guess my original post did not make that clear. In any case in 2014, in D1, R2, W. Chester Lakota West was the #16 seed and they defeated #1 seed Centerville. Last year in D4, R14, #16 Milan Edison defeated #1 Bellevue. To date those are the only two times a #16 has defeated a #1.
Ahhh, I forgot about them splitting D1 into only 2 regions. My bad

Not a fan of Cincinnati schools here at all. Yes, LaSalle truly is a 2-8 team this year. However, 90% of the teams in the state would be 2-8 or worse with that schedule. LaSalle would beat 90% or more of the teams in D2 this year. Winton Woods will probably win that game, and have a very good chance at repeating. But, I guarantee their coach is sweating this matchup.

WW by 16.

WW by 21+ or more maybe a running clock. They did nothing vs Elder with their season on the line. Could not move the ball or stop Elder. WW May be a notch below Elder or above, IDk but Lasalle is garbage this year.

Lasalle just did not have the talent this year for the schedule they played.
Colerain in the past was dominate but the past few years not so much, but they did hold Lasalle to minus 3 yards rushing and just over 100 yards of total offence, Fairmont in the GWOC held them to 15 yards rushing, in the GCL vs St X they managed to squeak out 2 yards rushing, Elder 60 yards (and 30 of that was on 2 runs) Moeller 65 yards... As far as how I think they would fair vs other DII in Cincy area: They would struggle and most likely lose to WW, Kings, Anderson, Edgewood, Withrow....
WW will hold them to under 75 yards rushing (and I am being very generous)....
In last years playoff blow out WW held Lasalle to 85 yards rushing while racking up over 400 yards rushing. I look for about the same type of contest 48-13 WW...

IF it happens, D2R8 #16 La Salle vs. #1 Winton Woods would be a potential game where it could happen.
Are you serious or just looking for a few laughs? Kings would have been the game for that. This 2- 8 LaSalle squad is not the team of old. Winston Woods is still nationally ranked for a reason. If a lost happens you may have to wait for the Kings rematch or deeper into the play off. The question is how do a 2- 8 squad make the playoffs and is mentioned as a potential upsetting team, unless Winton Woods has the injury bug or completely meltdown and take the duffel bag of loot.