2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it’s the path, why wouldn’t it be?
Because it limits the talent feeding the program. My whole point over the years is that their way of doing business pretty much makes it almost impossible for anyone other than a feeder kid from playing there (yes, there are a limited number of exceptions, very limited). And I've been yelled at for 10 years for it - yet it's exactly what's happening.

If that's the way the want to do it - that's fine, I have no issue - but it's absolutely set up that way for certain kids to play there, just as I've said. And for the legacy basketball kids to have a huge advantage, even if they don't deserve it based on their talent.

So the question still remains - why do people get so bent out of shape when it's called out and then say it's not true? This is absolutely what's happening, you just laid it out.

You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. I’m a reserve parent and all of our kids play, even last week in a close game in the 4th quarter against a very good team.

the varsity roster is much smaller, so I’m sure all those kids play. Either way, those guys weren’t whining. They’re just bad.
So they lost 48-0 and no one said a word? I've been around youth sports for a long time - there's zero chance they just stood there and took their 48-0 beating and said "well, that's life".

So they lost 48-0 and no one said a word? I've been around youth sports for a long time - there's zero chance they just stood there and took their 48-0 beating and said "well, that's life".
They were probably coaching the kids. When is the last time you were at a youth football game?

Agreed 48-0 is classless. Ihm has long been the least liked team in the league. Even great Visi teams over the past 20 yrs would call off the dogs when they could have easily rolled up 48-0 type scores.
The IHM 4th-grade team scored a TD up 8 with 15 second left and the Vols without any timeouts Saturday instead of taking a knee. That was kind of weak. But none of the Vols coaches cried about anything.

Do they freeze the score after three quarters at varsity too?

They were probably coaching the kids. When is the last time you were at a youth football game?
I've been to plenty, and the SECOND coaches feel the other team isn't subbing properly or playing starters too long and trying to rub it in, the coaches start yammering at each other. I've seen it a million times, and so have you. And this happens when it's 18-0 - I can't even imagine 48-0.

To sit there and say this isn't reality is just not even worth the conversation.

The IHM 4th-grade team scored a TD up 8 with 15 second left and the Vols without any timeouts Saturday instead of taking a knee. That was kind of weak. But none of the Vols coaches cried about anything.

Do they freeze the score after three quarters at varsity too?
LOL - that is nowhere even close to an apples to apples comparison to 48-0. Seriously, you're a goof.

The 5th grade class is really good at everything at this stage of their life. The 6th grade RB is easily the best in the GCYl. For Trey, I have no idea if they will be all stars and I’m not anointing them. I’m just saying that right now this 5th grade class at Jude is filled with athletes.
I've heard a colleague of mine talk about how good the Jude/vols reserve is. Who all is on that team that makes them so good at that level?
Both the sixth grade and fifth grade are excellent ... the team is very good, top to bottom. They will face their biggest test Saturday against CovCath. But yes, the 6th-grade RB looks like Hassan Haskins destroying OSU most of the time and the fifth-grade RB is crazy elusive. They have three QBs that could play for anybody and the defense is good at all positions.

Both the sixth grade and fifth grade are excellent ... the team is very good, top to bottom. They will face their biggest test Saturday against CovCath. But yes, the 6th-grade RB looks like Hassan Haskins destroying OSU most of the time and the fifth-grade RB is crazy elusive. They have three QBs that could play for anybody and the defense is good at all positions.
Well they better win on Saturday or we'll hear about the big ole cheaters at Cov Cath.

I've been to plenty, and the SECOND coaches feel the other team isn't subbing properly or playing starters too long and trying to rub it in, the coaches start yammering at each other. I've seen it a million times, and so have you. And this happens when it's 18-0 - I can't even imagine 48-0.

To sit there and say this isn't reality is just not even worth the conversation.
You do realize you're talking out of both sides of your mouth here on this subject. So, in your opinion, IHM is classless for winning 48-0 and at the same time the Vols coaches were probably soft and whining about it?

And I can tell you confidently, there is VERY little chance those coaches were whining.

Talking to some friends, I heard the same thing. Very solid team all positions. They also said all of the better players were Jude kids even though they combine with some schools now.

Talking to some friends, I heard the same thing. Very solid team all positions. They also said all of the better players were Jude kids even though they combine with some schools now.
Yes, most of the best kids are Jude. Jude's 5th and 6th are unreal in all sports, really.

That's not to say the other kids don't contribute, though.

You do realize you're talking out of both sides of your mouth here on this subject. So, in your opinion, IHM is classless for winning 48-0 and at the same time the Vols coaches were probably soft and whining about it?

And I can tell you confidently, there is VERY little chance those coaches were whining.
Yes - they were classless.

No - I didn't say they were soft for whining about it. I said they were too worried about whining about it to realize it's a perfect time to empty the bench for an entire half.

But it was likely a "well we can't put in our 2nd and 3rd string because they are still playing their starters" junk measuring contest.

Hard to say without knowing all the details, but I can't remember scores like that back in the day. Times have changed I guess with teams passing more. Count me in the group saying 48-0 is uncalled for and it sounds like they ran the score up on grade school kids.

Yes - they were classless.

No - I didn't say they were soft for whining about it. I said they were too worried about whining about it to realize it's a perfect time to empty the bench for an entire half.

But it was likely a "well we can't put in our 2nd and 3rd string because they are still playing their starters" junk measuring contest.
I can assure you all those kids play.

For context, the varsity team is much smaller in numbers than what the Vols have at grades K-6. AND, they are not very good. They have lost 26-0, 30-0, 8-0, 28-0 and 48-0 with a 12-0 win. I know a few of the coaches and I can assure you they aren't leaving their "first string" in the whole game during those beatings.

As usual, you're just looking to argue a problem where one does not exist and where you have no knowledge of the situation.

I can assure you all those kids play.

For context, the varsity team is much smaller in numbers than what the Vols have at grades K-6. AND, they are not very good. They have lost 26-0, 30-0, 8-0, 28-0 and 48-0 with a 12-0 win. I know a few of the coaches and I can assure you they aren't leaving their "first string" in the whole game during those beatings.

As usual, you're just looking to argue a problem where one does not exist and where you have no knowledge of the situation.
Good, I'm glad they play kids - but 48-0 is still a problem.

From what I was told the entire league wants them gone not just west side schools. They draw from 17 schools plus also pick an A team. Nobody else in the league does that. Period. Just like you mentioned I heard Visi and Mikes both had huge issues with them this year trying to hide overweight kids for their games. Ill be surprised if they aren’t unanimously voted out of the league.
I dont think that will happen or is necessary at this point. I would hope that the the bigger issue is a conversation that will fix the problem with the current set up of iether parish based or club level football. Consider that the issue has been an issue on mostly varsity but now your seeing the impact moving down to the lower levels. Hopefully they will be open to looking at options for 2023.

Good, I'm glad they play kids - but 48-0 is still a problem.
I do agree that is a lot and if all the above comments are right then IHM should get a call to at a minimum let them know that much of the white flag rule is built around preventing embarrassment of the kids. Not what youth sports is about but I do get tired of the westside schools being the chief complainers. Hopefully there are more out there that agree with some of the issues in this chat. They are still kids.

I do agree that is a lot and if all the above comments are right then IHM should get a call to at a minimum let them know that much of the white flag rule is built around preventing embarrassment of the kids. Not what youth sports is about but I do get tired of the westside schools being the chief complainers. Hopefully there are more out there that agree with some of the issues in this chat. They are still kids.
Thank you - very reasonable.

48-0 in youth football is different than 25-0 in youth volleyball for 3 straight games. It can also be very different than 8-0 in soccer or 15+ -0 in baseball & softball. I've been on both sides of games like this at the youth level in baseball, soccer, and football. In football If they subbed very quickly, let's say 28-0, and it's the 1st half, it is what it is..... not much you can do about it if the other team's subs are still scoring. If they didn't sub, I have a huge problem. When I coach youth football, I have a constant rotation with ALL my players, even in close games, and even championship games. I'm all about development over winning at all levels except varsity high school. When I'm coaching youth football, if I go up 3 scores, I sub out everyone.....now I usually don't have enough for 2 whole "strings." If my subs are moving the ball easily and score again, I start having my unathletic linemen run the ball. I'm not trying to embarrass anyone. And those linemen love the opportunity to run the ball, and they gain a whole 1-2 yards maybe. If my backup defense is still tearing them up, I move my skill guys to the line, and my linemen to the skill positions. Again, there is no need to embarrass the other team.

The one year I helped with soccer, I did the same thing.... If we went up 3-4 quick, subs right away. I start moving offensive guys to defense so I don't pile it on..

Now, baseball is different, but again, I'm not trying to embarrass the other team. My 10 year old had a couple of games this year where our boys were just hitting the crap out of the ball. We went through our batting order 2x in the first inning. Unfortunately we were in a new league and there was not maximum number of batters per inning. I felt terrible. But, after we scored 7 quick runs (We were up 3-0 when a kid that typically struggles at the plate hit a 1 in a million grand slam), I stopped every single batter at first base, no matter how far they hit it. Period. Bottom of the inning, the other team went down 1, 2, 3. My son's team again was hitting like crazy, everyone got a single. We stopped that half of the inning after we batted everyone. There were 0 outs. The other team went down in order again. I told the other coach to let his entire team bat. The coach, the parents, and players all greatly appreciated it. I brought in a kid who had never pitched to pitch to them, and they got a couple of hits. The game was over after 2 innings by the league's run rule. I felt terrible, but you can't tell your players to not swing the bat. But you can do things to slow down or stop the bleeding (hopefully).

Again, there's a way to win with class, with 8 minute quarters, I have really, really difficult time believing 48-0 wasn't intentionally trying to "send a statement" in some way. With the 40 second play clock, each team gets around 25 plays for an entire game. So for the score to be 48-0 after 3 quarters, you are talking about maybe 20 plays. To score 6 or more TDs in that short of time frame is really, really difficult to do unintentionally.

Win with class people, it's youth sports. #1 goal should be teaching sportsmanship. Not being a A-hole.

48-0 in youth football is different than 25-0 in youth volleyball for 3 straight games. It can also be very different than 8-0 in soccer or 15+ -0 in baseball & softball. I've been on both sides of games like this at the youth level in baseball, soccer, and football. In football If they subbed very quickly, let's say 28-0, and it's the 1st half, it is what it is..... not much you can do about it if the other team's subs are still scoring. If they didn't sub, I have a huge problem. When I coach youth football, I have a constant rotation with ALL my players, even in close games, and even championship games. I'm all about development over winning at all levels except varsity high school. When I'm coaching youth football, if I go up 3 scores, I sub out everyone.....now I usually don't have enough for 2 whole "strings." If my subs are moving the ball easily and score again, I start having my unathletic linemen run the ball. I'm not trying to embarrass anyone. And those linemen love the opportunity to run the ball, and they gain a whole 1-2 yards maybe. If my backup defense is still tearing them up, I move my skill guys to the line, and my linemen to the skill positions. Again, there is no need to embarrass the other team.

The one year I helped with soccer, I did the same thing.... If we went up 3-4 quick, subs right away. I start moving offensive guys to defense so I don't pile it on..

Now, baseball is different, but again, I'm not trying to embarrass the other team. My 10 year old had a couple of games this year where our boys were just hitting the crap out of the ball. We went through our batting order 2x in the first inning. Unfortunately we were in a new league and there was not maximum number of batters per inning. I felt terrible. But, after we scored 7 quick runs (We were up 3-0 when a kid that typically struggles at the plate hit a 1 in a million grand slam), I stopped every single batter at first base, no matter how far they hit it. Period. Bottom of the inning, the other team went down 1, 2, 3. My son's team again was hitting like crazy, everyone got a single. We stopped that half of the inning after we batted everyone. There were 0 outs. The other team went down in order again. I told the other coach to let his entire team bat. The coach, the parents, and players all greatly appreciated it. I brought in a kid who had never pitched to pitch to them, and they got a couple of hits. The game was over after 2 innings by the league's run rule. I felt terrible, but you can't tell your players to not swing the bat. But you can do things to slow down or stop the bleeding (hopefully).

Again, there's a way to win with class, with 8 minute quarters, I have really, really difficult time believing 48-0 wasn't intentionally trying to "send a statement" in some way. With the 40 second play clock, each team gets around 25 plays for an entire game. So for the score to be 48-0 after 3 quarters, you are talking about maybe 20 plays. To score 6 or more TDs in that short of time frame is really, really difficult to do unintentionally.

Win with class people, it's youth sports. #1 goal should be teaching sportsmanship. Not being a A-hole.
This guy gets it. Pretty simple formula to follow.

This guy gets it. Pretty simple formula to follow.
This past weekend, I coach my 7 year old's football team... team of 5-7 year olds, same as Bandit division in GCYL. We were in our first round playoff game, and we lost 6-0. All 23 kids got as equal playing time as humanly possible. Could we have probably won that game if I only played the 12 subs their 8 plays and 8 plays only...... absolutely, without a doubt in my mind that we would have won. But, the bigger picture is all those non-starters had such a great time getting significant snaps in a significant game. I can promise you they will almost all be back next year because they fell in love with the game. They were coached by guys who share the same philosophy I do, and we don't yell at the kids, but we teach them and coach them up. The improvement by everyone was incredible. Lastly, I don't worry about "oh no, so and so is in, that means I can't do (fill in the blank)." I trust all of my backups as much as my starters. It was actually my starting defense that gave up the 6 points, not the backups. The other team kept their starters in the whole time minus those 8 plays.

Development and teaching is key, especially in youth football.

Because it limits the talent feeding the program. My whole point over the years is that their way of doing business pretty much makes it almost impossible for anyone other than a feeder kid from playing there (yes, there are a limited number of exceptions, very limited). And I've been yelled at for 10 years for it - yet it's exactly what's happening.

If that's the way the want to do it - that's fine, I have no issue - but it's absolutely set up that way for certain kids to play there, just as I've said. And for the legacy basketball kids to have a huge advantage, even if they don't deserve it based on their talent.

So the question still remains - why do people get so bent out of shape when it's called out and then say it's not true? This is absolutely what's happening, you just laid it
What kids do u think would play for Little Panthers that aren’t able to at this time? What part of town do they live in? Why would a kid from the Taft or Sycamore area play for the Panthers when they already play for their local Little Panthers like team? Do Westside kids play for teams all across the city and I just don’t know about it? What programs have kids from all over the city that play in the SWOL?
I answered your questions, please answer mine without going on a diatribe.

This past weekend, I coach my 7 year old's football team... team of 5-7 year olds, same as Bandit division in GCYL. We were in our first round playoff game, and we lost 6-0. All 23 kids got as equal playing time as humanly possible. Could we have probably won that game if I only played the 12 subs their 8 plays and 8 plays only...... absolutely, without a doubt in my mind that we would have won. But, the bigger picture is all those non-starters had such a great time getting significant snaps in a significant game. I can promise you they will almost all be back next year because they fell in love with the game. They were coached by guys who share the same philosophy I do, and we don't yell at the kids, but we teach them and coach them up. The improvement by everyone was incredible. Lastly, I don't worry about "oh no, so and so is in, that means I can't do (fill in the blank)." I trust all of my backups as much as my starters. It was actually my starting defense that gave up the 6 points, not the backups. The other team kept their starters in the whole time minus those 8 plays.

It’s crazy to me that they even keep score with bandits.

What is the point of having a playoff tournament if you're not going to try to win? If you're being truthful, you "developed" all your players in the regular season. Now, you get to the playoffs you admittedly could have won if you subbed differently. You had a chance to teach the kids how to win while at the same time developing them. They could have had another week of practice and another playoff game, but instead they turned in their equipment and are on the couch playing video games or watching YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.