2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,kinda how life works.
Yet it's not...only in football with the big dumb meathead coaches does it work this way. In EVERY other girls and boys sport in grade school, kids have the opportunity to play, whether through playing time rules or playing against kids of their skill level. It's the direct opposite of how life works in grade school sports. I'm not surprised this forum would say the exception is the rule. These kids are in grade school - there is zero reason for kids not to be playing. None.

Yeah, I know, "safety concerns" - BS.

Varsity IHM beat the Volunteers 48-0 this past weekend. I would venture to bet $100 that the coaches spent most of their time whining and complaining to IHM about running up the score than actually spending time getting the whole roster playing time. Hey kids, not only do you get to lose 48-0, you don't get to play either! How exciting!!!

Would love to hear the Vol parents take on this one - I know you're out there.

Last edited:
From what I was told the entire league wants them gone not just west side schools. They draw from 17 schools plus also pick an A team. Nobody else in the league does that. Period. Just like you mentioned I heard Visi and Mikes both had huge issues with them this year trying to hide overweight kids for their games. Ill be surprised if they aren’t unanimously voted out of the league.
What is up with the leadership of the league if they allow this? Serious question.

Apparently this isn't new, yet they're allowed to do it every year?

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. James and Mikes don’t do that. Nobody beside Cov Cath is fielding all star teams. You want to argue everything Elder out of both sides of your mouth. I agree with some of which u say on certain topics but you lose credibility when you speak out on things you know nothing about ie…. Little Panthers and grade school football.
again, Trey is the equivalent of a flat earther. No matter how much proof you throw at him, he’ll keep digging his heels in, insisting he’s right and everyone else is wrong.

Yet it's not...only in football with the big dumb meathead coaches does it work this way. In EVERY other girls and boys sport in grade school, kids have the opportunity to play, whether through playing time rules or playing against kids of their skill level. It's the direct opposite of how life works in grade school sports. I'm not surprised this forum would say the exception is the rule. These kids are in grade school - there is zero reason for kids not to be playing. None.

Varsity IHM beat the Volunteers 48-0 this past weekend. I would venture to bet $100 that the coaches spent most of their time whining and complaining to IHM about running up the score than actually spending time getting the whole roster playing time. Hey kids, not only do you get to lose 48-0, you don't get to play either! How exciting!!!

How did they lose 48-0? Did IHM run it up? After about 28-0 you need to call off the dogs. Show some sportsmanship.

Who are the best players in Varsity this yr?

I've heard a colleague of mine talk about how good the Jude/vols reserve is. Who all is on that team that makes them so good at that level?

How did they lose 48-0? Did IHM run it up? After about 28-0 you need to call off the dogs. Show some sportsmanship.

Who are the best players in Varsity this yr?
If it was 48-0, they ran it up.

I heard it wasn't pleasant.

Alot of grown men have lost their damn minds, and it's sad to see.

Agreed 48-0 is classless. Ihm has long been the least liked team in the league. Even great Visi teams over the past 20 yrs would call off the dogs when they could have easily rolled up 48-0 type scores.
It takes a real special type of d**k to go out of their way to try to embarrass kids like that. Beyond pathetic.

The coach and the coordinator should be held accountable in some way.

The wild thing about that score is that it was done in 3 quarters. The scoreboard freezes if one team is up by 20 points at any point of the 4th quarter, regardless if either side scores.

This is one rule that the league did get right as it does allow for more kids to get in the game and play potentially up to a quarter's worth of snaps. Instead of a running clock, where two teams might get 10-12 plays total. Instead each team can get up to that many on both sides of the ball.

The wild thing about that score is that it was done in 3 quarters. The scoreboard freezes if one team is up by 20 points at any point of the 4th quarter, regardless if either side scores.

This is one rule that the league did get right as it does allow for more kids to get in the game and play potentially up to a quarter's worth of snaps. Instead of a running clock, where two teams might get 10-12 plays total. Instead each team can get up to that many on both sides of the ball.
But do they have to sub the kids in?

In my sons' league, every player must get 8 plays. And in similar fashion, if a team goes up by 26 at any point, the game is officially over. At that point, both teams MUST sub all starters. Now if a team doesn't have 11 subs, then you take out the starting backfield on offense and must sub every player on the sideline for the remainder of that game.

In my sons' league, every player must get 8 plays. And in similar fashion, if a team goes up by 26 at any point, the game is officially over. At that point, both teams MUST sub all starters. Now if a team doesn't have 11 subs, then you take out the starting backfield on offense and must sub every player on the sideline for the remainder of that game.
That I don't know, but if the score is frozen and game over, then why wouldn't you empty the bench? Not sure I've ever seen a coach/team keep their starters in under this rule.

You left out my question that you didn’t answer. I was talking about A and B teams just like they have in the classrooms.
In regards to blowouts, that’s been happening for generations in baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc, get over it, it just a sport, pick a different sport or don’t play any.

I would bet $100 that your the guy who had the time to never miss a practice or a game. You stood up on the hill in the shade with a couple of dads who would tolerate you, and complained about everything but never coached a lick.

That I don't know, but if the score is frozen and game over, then why wouldn't you empty the bench? Not sure I've ever seen a coach/team keep their starters in under this rule.
Because there's a lot of coaching youth sports, especially in youth football.

You left out my question that you didn’t answer. I was talking about A and B teams just like they have in the classrooms.
In regards to blowouts, that’s been happening for generations in baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc, get over it, it just a sport, pick a different sport or don’t play any.

I would bet $100 that your the guy who had the time to never miss a practice or a game. You stood up on the hill in the shade with a couple of dads who would tolerate you, and complained about everything but never coached a lick.
When did I say every kid had to be on the A team?

In grade school, every kid should have the opportunity to play, again, just like I said, through either playing time rules, or against a similar level of competition (B/C teams) - what part of that did you not understand?

And 48-0 is never ok in grade school, yet it happens often because alot of sports parents and coaches are complete buffoons. If you think this is a "rub some dirt on it and move on" moment, you're part of the problem. It takes a special kind of lowlife to go out of their way to intentionally try to embarrass grade school kids.

The intent is to sub the kids in, but there is no playing time rule for the league to my knowledge.

Yes, pretty crazy to think when you're up 25 points, it's imperative to put up another 25 to prove what?

You don't score 48 points by accident. Even if some fluke defensive TDs were scored, this is still a blatant attempt to embarrass.

And to the "that's life" crowd, you simply cannot tolerate this in a Catholic youth league for freaking grade school kids. But I know the football meatheads think it teaches life lessons.

I've heard a colleague of mine talk about how good the Jude/vols reserve is. Who all is on that team that makes them so good at that level?
The 5th grade class is really good at everything at this stage of their life. The 6th grade RB is easily the best in the GCYl. For Trey, I have no idea if they will be all stars and I’m not anointing them. I’m just saying that right now this 5th grade class at Jude is filled with athletes.

The 5th grade class is really good at everything at this stage of their life. The 6th grade RB is easily the best in the GCYl. For Trey, I have no idea if they will be all stars and I’m not anointing them. I’m just saying that right now this 5th grade class at Jude is filled with athletes.
But, are they going to Elder, because according to pboy, that's all that matters.

This isn't a discussion about what is and isn't AAU. To be fair, you are right, but everyone uses the moniker AAU to describe these other leagues.

So again, this program is a feeder pool for future Elder basketball players, yet targets only the feeder schools. Would you not agree that this would be a great opportunity to expand Elder to a broader set of people? Or are those spots strictly for westside feeder kids? So really you're admitting what I've been saying all along - the program isn't for outsiders. If that's what it is, why is that so hard to admit?

And if it's not that, can you explain to me what it is?
It targets kids by 7th and 8th grade who are interested in attending Elder. In what universe does it make sense to recruit for the Panthers program and bring in kids from all across the city for 1 practice a week and to play between 15-20 games for the season? I sure as hell wouldn’t travel 30 minutes for a program like that. The type of program u are trying to say Little Panthers should be is an AAU program. Little Panthers is just a program to help subsidize grade school hoops. The older teams have 10-15 players due to all the conflicts from grade school basketball and winter baseball workouts.

You know all of this already! I’m finished arguing with you as all your doing is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. You post about Panthers and AAU being the same thing and James/Mikes doing the same as Cov Cath. You have been proven wrong yet u continue to post in circles. It honestly gets confusing what u are even making points about.

Yes, pretty crazy to think when you're up 25 points, it's imperative to put up another 25 to prove what?

You don't score 48 points by accident. Even if some fluke defensive TDs were scored, this is still a blatant attempt to embarrass.

And to the "that's life" crowd, you simply cannot tolerate this in a Catholic youth league for freaking grade school kids. But I know the football meatheads think it teaches life lessons.
I’ve watched countless volleyball games 25
I’ve watched countless boys and girls soccer games 10-0 or 8-1
I’ve watched countless grade school plays where some kids get to act the whole time and some stand there and get to be a tree
I’ve watched high school football games 45-3

Like I said It’s all life

I’ve watched countless volleyball games 25
I’ve watched countless boys and girls soccer games 10-0 or 8-1
I’ve watched countless grade school plays where some kids get to act the whole time and some stand there and get to be a tree
I’ve watched high school football games 45-3

Like I said It’s all life
Hey dummy, in volleyball, you play to a set score. It's impossible to eliminate 25-0 in some cases.

And I'm not talking about high school. I'm talking about grade school sports - kids. Just because it happens doesn't make it right - now this whole board will start arguing with me about a 48-0 score being perfectly fine because I said it was bushleague.

More people should be calling this out, but don't have the stones.

It targets kids by 7th and 8th grade who are interested in attending Elder. In what universe does it make sense to recruit for the Panthers program and bring in kids from all across the city for 1 practice a week and to play between 15-20 games for the season? I sure as hell wouldn’t travel 30 minutes for a program like that. The type of program u are trying to say Little Panthers should be is an AAU program. Little Panthers is just a program to help subsidize grade school hoops. The older teams have 10-15 players due to all the conflicts from grade school basketball and winter baseball workouts.

You know all of this already! I’m finished arguing with you as all your doing is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. You post about Panthers and AAU being the same thing and James/Mikes doing the same as Cov Cath. You have been proven wrong yet u continue to post in circles. It honestly gets confusing what u are even making points about.
Right - like I said, it's westside feeder kids vying for spots eventually on Elder's team that are pretty much saved for westside feeder kids. Pretty much open to no one else because, well, "in what universe does it make sense" for it to be any other way?

Everything you said is exactly what I said - except you're unwilling to admit it's pretty closed off to outsiders. You just said it without saying it.

If the Elder rosters ended up being much different than the rosters on these teams, then you would have a point. It's literally the path to play basketball at Elder, and it causes a whole bunch of politics and control for legacy families who already have an in with the program. If you have any type of history playing at Elder, you have an absolute advantage over other kids - that's is absolutely true. And in some cases, better players are overlooked or planted on lower teams to ensure certain kids get the top team.

You know all of this already!!!

Hey dummy, in volleyball, you play to a set score. It's impossible to eliminate 25-0 in some cases.

And I'm not talking about high school. I'm talking about grade school sports - kids. Just because it happens doesn't make it right - now this whole board will start arguing with me about a 48-0 score being perfectly fine because I said it was bushleague.

More people should be calling this out, but don't have the stones.
I left out the 3, and yes I’m talking grade school games and teams get skunked, I’ve watched girls GRADESCHOOL soccer games 8-0 , GRADESCHOOL girls softball games and teams get skunked, every darn weekend in every darn town in every darn league.
I guess I hit a nerve and was correct about you never coaching.

I left out the 3, and yes I’m talking grade school games and teams get skunked, I’ve watched girls GRADESCHOOL soccer games 8-0 , GRADESCHOOL girls softball games and teams get skunked, every darn weekend in every darn town in every darn league.
I guess I hit a nerve and was correct about you never coaching.
I don't need to give you my resume to know that beating a team 48-0 in a grade school football game is buffoonery. You seem to not acknowedge that coaches that beat teams like this are morons. Of course it happens all the time, because there are alot of morons and meatheads out there coaching teaching "life lessons".

Literally sad as hell that people are defending 48-0 because "coaches man".

It's also sad that you equate good coaching and the ability to understand coaching to a 48-0 score. And then tell me I've never coached. Completely clueless. Enter the twilight forum.

"Man, I see 48-0 and 10-0 every weekend - that's coaching brotha" - freakin moron.

Right - like I said, it's westside feeder kids vying for spots eventually on Elder's team that are pretty much saved for westside feeder kids. Pretty much open to no one else because, well, "in what universe does it make sense" for it to be any other way?

Everything you said is exactly what I said - except you're unwilling to admit it's pretty closed off to outsiders. You just said it without saying it.

If the Elder rosters ended up being much different than the rosters on these teams, then you would have a point. It's literally the path to play basketball at Elder, and it causes a whole bunch of politics and control for legacy families who already have an in with the program. If you have any type of history playing at Elder, you have an absolute advantage over other kids - that's is absolutely true. And in some cases, better players are overlooked or planted on lower teams to ensure certain kids get the top team.

Of course it’s the path, why wouldn’t it be? There are over 150 kids in the organization maybe 200. The odds are pretty good that some of these players will play at Elder. Guess what, some of the players end up at X and LaSalle too. 4 kids on X FROSH team also played little Panthers at some point.

You’ve got no idea what you’re talking about. I’m a reserve parent and all of our kids play, even last week in a close game in the 4th quarter against a very good team.

the varsity roster is much smaller, so I’m sure all those kids play. Either way, those guys weren’t whining. They’re just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.