Mentor Football 2022

There are only a few coaches on staff who know how to communicate with the kids. Coaches and players, there is no respect or trust on either side and that is sad to see.
I don't know about all that as it's broad. RB and dline coach definitely seem to do well and have been long time contributors . Just speaking on what I saw personally and it wasn't right

I liked his post because of what he said, yes. I like that he pointed out your constant negativity, the know it all nature of your posts, and the overall angry approach that you take.

You said all that you needed to say in your response to him. You never played the game - instant disqualification to comment about what it takes. Also, you're too far from the program to say anything more than anyone else on here. You are a troll, plain and simple and this guy called it.

And now I know you'll attack me and give all of your supporting evidence...whatever, you're a bum.
I defended the program against you.....

You were the one saying Mentor doesn't play the best guys and won't play younger players. I gave you examples to show that your claim seemed false. You threw a hissy fit and said you wouldn't post just because I asked you to support your claims...

Did you play ? Sorry but that doesn't mean you can't comment either. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's like saying you can't rip a politician because you werent one. Cant rip a bad cop on video because you weren't one. It's beyond stupid.

I never said I was closer to the program. Ive said the opposite enough on here in fact. You guys will come and go when your kids leave. I've watched the program over 30 years. So I've seen more

Last edited:
Glad to see the worst of them called out from true Card fans. Not those who are developmentally stuck and zero ability to adjust their expectations for the KIDS and the program.
How could you read it if you ignore my posts as you claim ?

You are a joke. Worry about your own school man lol.

And you will still be on here complaining about a program that you have nothing invested in and about kids who have a way brighter future then you. Have fun sitting here on your keyboard wanna be player who doesn't know the first thing about what he is talking about. lol its not even worth debating with you on here. You have no experience to back up anything you are saying. You are actually the cancer to this program.
You are a Johnny come lately on here. I've posted plenty of stuff defending Mentor on here. Sorry if you can't handle someone who isn't all positive all the time. I talk about what I see . People like you will accept whatever and that's fine.

I'm doing just fine thank you. But have fun living through your kids to makeup for shortcomings in your life. I hope all the kids do well for the record , but playing high school football doesn't say much about a future when most won't be playing for a career.

You don't know me though so nice projection as you spout off behind anonymity on a message board

Some comments based on recent thread discussion:

Playing/not playing does not disqualify ones opinion - coming from a former player

I appreciate seeing many new recent posters. It helps me to have your observations and opinions since I am not as connected to the Mentor program as I once was.

MentorGrad has been around these threads for a long time and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I've appreciated his thoughts and observations over the years both positive and negative. If you've only been around here recently, this has been one of the more rough stretches for Mentor in the past few decades. With such high expectations for the Cards, its hard not to be critical of what is going on with the current regime. Is MentorGrad too abrasive and argumentative at times? Sure, and call him out for it as needed, but can we get back to talking about actual football...
----------
...So getting things back on track, it looks like Solon has a decent team this year and this should be a good game. This has big implications for playoff positioning for Mentor (Drew Pasteur has Mentor anywhere from #2-#11 depending on how things shake out the rest of the year https://www.fantastic50.net/r01seed.html). How do we see this game playing out? Does the Mentor D show up this week? Can the offense figure it out against a decent opponent?

Some comments based on recent thread discussion:

Playing/not playing does not disqualify ones opinion - coming from a former player

I appreciate seeing many new recent posters. It helps me to have your observations and opinions since I am not as connected to the Mentor program as I once was.

MentorGrad has been around these threads for a long time and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I've appreciated his thoughts and observations over the years both positive and negative. If you've only been around here recently, this has been one of the more rough stretches for Mentor in the past few decades. With such high expectations for the Cards, its hard not to be critical of what is going on with the current regime. Is MentorGrad too abrasive and argumentative at times? Sure, and call him out for it as needed, but can we get back to talking about actual football...
----------
...So getting things back on track, it looks like Solon has a decent team this year and this should be a good game. This has big implications for playoff positioning for Mentor (Drew Pasteur has Mentor anywhere from #2-#11 depending on how things shake out the rest of the year https://www.fantastic50.net/r01seed.html). How do we see this game playing out? Does the Mentor D show up this week? Can the offense figure it out against a decent opponent?
I tried to talk about it before all this nonsense from the newbies , but yes it's a big game. If Mentor wins out , they can be a 6 seed type team. That means a week 11 home game. Lose here and they could be on the road

And this COULD be the last time we play Solon for awhile , but only if they won't schedule us out of conference. Hudson, Twinsburg and Stow become league games for them so they have ample opportunity to keep it going. Mentor will want to do so. We have a great AD who I've defended on this thread at times so im sure he will try his best.

I will not be able to make it this week. Solon has a few skill players on offense that hit my radar. I haven’t followed them closely, so I don’t know how they have been performing or if they are all healthy.

Mentor’s offense took good strides in the passing game against Medina. I would love to see that continue the last three weeks. If they win out, Mentor will be playing at home in Week 11.

This is a very important regular season game for Mentor. A 3-4 record will see some major questions pop up.

I also echo those that said they hope the series continues. Mentor/Solon has been an annual game since the 90s. If Mentor was a juggernaut, I could understand Solon wanting no part of them. But that isn’t the case.

I will not be able to make it this week. Solon has a few skill players on offense that hit my radar. I haven’t followed them closely, so I don’t know how they have been performing or if they are all healthy.

Mentor’s offense took good strides in the passing game against Medina. I would love to see that continue the last three weeks. If they win out, Mentor will be playing at home in Week 11.

This is a very important regular season game for Mentor. A 3-4 record will see some major questions pop up.

I also echo those that said they hope the series continues. Mentor/Solon has been an annual game since the 90s. If Mentor was a juggernaut, I could understand Solon wanting no part of them. But that isn’t the case.
Agreed with the last part especially. I hope they do stay on. But we've seen teams drop off before when switching leagues. They had it going before being league mates too though

Solon played a very good Hudson team to the wire. Saw Hudson play a solid Wadsworth team and they looked good. Besides that though, they've beaten many not so great teams. So hard to judge

I think it's one that can go either way but I'd favor Mentor especially at home. Just have to limit the turnovers and have the D show up some. We cant be getting into shootouts and winning with this team

How about some thoughts on the Solon game? Mentor by 3 td's or more??
More than 3 TD’s would require an incredibly dominant and complete performance. I don’t know if that is coming. But I do think Mentor wins this game. Last year’s loss at Solon was another low point, compounded by injuries to Mentor’s best offensive players. This year Mentor seems pretty healthy overall, especially at the skill positions.

Getting the 3 seed would prolong the team’s chances to stay in the playoffs longer. Even as down as I am on the team, there is only one opponent (St Eds) that is a certain loss. St Ignatius and Medina would be favored, but it’s not unwinnable. Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights are close to 50/50. The rest of the region I would feel pretty confident in playing.

Starts with the big one against Solon.

Getting the 3 seed would prolong the team’s chances to stay in the playoffs longer. Even as down as I am on the team, there is only one opponent (St Eds) that is a certain loss. St Ignatius and Medina would be favored, but it’s not unwinnable. Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights are close to 50/50. The rest of the region I would feel pretty confident in playing.

Starts with the big one against Solon.
I can't believe the 3 seed is in place for a team that could be 6-3. Wow the region is very down !

I agree with your assessment overall except I think Medina would be a tall task to beat. I think Iggy is indeed a tossup type .

Nobody else is extremely scary that you listed but Wadsworth and heights seem like solid teams

Eds obviously the favorite

I can't believe the 3 seed is in place for a team that could be 6-3. Wow the region is very down !

I agree with your assessment overall except I think Medina would be a tall task to beat. I think Iggy is indeed a tossup type .

Nobody else is extremely scary that you listed but Wadsworth and heights seem like solid teams

Eds obviously the favorite
Maybe I should start an R1 playoff thread (don't believe one has been started). I haven't ran projections the last couple of years since making the playoffs is essentially moot and it's all about seeding. But I ran them this afternoon and was a surprised that it does look like Mentor at 6-3 has a good chance at being the No. 3 seed.

And the way I have it going, it would be Mentor's dream bracket. I have them playing No. 14 Brunswick and then the winner of No. 6 Massillon Jackson and No. 11 Lorain in the second round.

On the other side, I have No. 2 Medina and No. 15 Strongsville and then No. 7 St. Ignatius and No. 10 John Marshall. The second round there would assuredly be Medina/Ignatius (for the third year in a row), meaning one of those two would bump the other before facing Mentor in the regional semis.

Ed's would look to have a easy path to the regional finals ... McKinley as the No. 8 in round two and then likely the winner of Heights/Wadsworth in the 4/5. Maybe one of those teams can give them a scare, but don't see any of them being a legitimate threat (I'm not sure Ed's has one this year in R1).

If they can win out, that would be huge. probably the 3 seed, 2 home games and not in Ed's half of the bracket.
As far as seeds go:
Ed's probably 1 seed
Medina probably 2 seed.
3 seed is probably between Wadsworth if they beat Fitch, and Cleveland Heights. (I am also assuming Ignatius will lose due to their finishing schedule of St. X and Moeller).
I'm not sure Mentor could get that 3 seed ahead of the other 2 teams. I could be wrong.

Goes by points, both team have few D1 wins, most of their wins are D2 and even some D3 wins.
I know it goes by points. And looking at the current point totals, Ed's has a big lead and probably can't be caught for number 1 seed. Mentor is at 8 seed. They would have to jump Medina, Wadsworth, Cleve. Hts, Ignatius, Jackson, McKinley. I could see them jumping to 4 at best. Which would be bad because that puts them with Ed's in the semi. But a lot of football to be played. Playoffs are just around the corner!

We were talking about them being a 3, not concerned about jumping Medina. Wadsworth will get beat by Fitch, Ignatius will lose there next 2, Jackson and McKinley play each other, plus McKinley plays Massillon and any wins they get to finish the year can only be D2 wins. Heights has only 2 D1 wins and can't get anymore, plus they will lose to St V /St M. Mentor wins out they will be a 3 seed
A 3 seed is possible. But everything has to go right for Mentor. Even though they played much better last week, they could lose 1 of the next 2. Wadsworth losing to Fitch is not a 100% done deal either. McKinley will lose to Massillon. Iggy will lose 2 most likely. Not sure if Mentor can catch Cleveland Hts. or not if CH goes undefeated. I think it is wide open for sure.

Good win tonight over Solon. Bad start for D but it tightened up in second half. Offense had some sloppiness but made plays too. Special teams was ugly tonight. Gotta clean it up

This series should continue. Mentor will want it to. Solon has competed well and they've played since 1997. Solon is bringing 3 out of conference schools into conference play now. They should want it to continue. Helps both schools

A much needed win over Solon outs Mentor into the top four of Region 1 with two games left that are both going to be wins. I think Mentor should stay in the 4/5 spot. I *think* OHSAA is still having teams host in Week 12, so the difference between 4 and 5 means another playoff home game.

It was a very roller coaster game for Mentor, which sums up the way the season has gone. There were stretches of strong football. There were stretches of head scratching plays and missed opportunities.

Mentor needs to clone Jacob Snow 21 times. The kid dominates wherever he plays. He played both ways at times, being on the field at safety on Solon's final drive as they tried to win the game.

Scotty Fox (Mentor): 24-42, 319 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT

Mitchell Waite (Mentor): 19 rushes, 102 yards, TD, 3 catches, 40 yards

Jacob Snow (Mentor): 8 catches, 111 yards, TD

Jordan Stapleton (Mentor): 7 catches, 102 yards, 2 TD, 2PC

Charlie Bubonics (Solon): 18-26, 290 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

EJ Taylor (Solon): 18 rushes, 72 yards, 3 catches, 26 yards, TD

Joel Kpassou (Solon): 8 catches, 183 yards, TD

Is Mentor 6-1 if Snow was on offense to start the year? Seeing what he did to Medina and then those numbers against Solon, I can't imagine they would have lost either the Ignatius or Football North games. Stapleton was also a hard cover for Medina. Waite didn't do anything running the ball but I think Medina was selling out to shut down the run (he did kill them on some passes out of the backfield).

I'm not an expert on Mentor (though have seen them over the past 20 years enough to have a pretty decent gauge on the program and the talent level), and from an outsider, I think the biggest difference between Triv and Gray so far is Gray is slower, at least offensively, to put the pieces together that maximizes the talent. I thought that last year when Harper went from WR to lining up at RB (in the Medina game) to get him the ball as much as possible. I thought the same thing last week when Snow was moved to offense. I wonder if the next wrinkle that could be rolled out is now using Snow in that Harper role where it's get him the ball at least 15 times a game. I'm not even saying full time RB, but put him in the backfield for 10-12 plays would be a nightmare for defenses. If you get real creative, you can even have him throwing the ball out of some looks. Between slipping him on receiving routes out of the backfield, giving him the ball on some running plays and then the threat of throwing the ball (between him or Fox), I don't see how defenses can scheme for that.

Though, I guess if Snow's role on offense expands that much, you probably don't want him much on defense (outside of key situations) to try to preserve his health.

It’s a good thought. Snow was hurt against Ignatius, so that didn’t matter. The loss to Clarkson was on the defense. I don’t know how that would’ve impacted a win.

But Jacob Snow is making a big impact on the offense, no denying that. It helps give Fox a good playmaker instead of relying on just Jordan Stapleton time and time again.

I think their record would be the same, but I do think the team is better overall with Snow at receiver.

As for trying him at running back, that is an interesting idea. But I like the back that Mentor has in Mitchell Waite. If the offensive line does their part, then Waite has proven to be a solid back. There isn't a need to put Snow back there. Harper was a different story.

Last edited:
I didnt say anything about beating them, being the 3 seed not only gets 2 home games but takes you out of Ed's 1/2 of the bracket.
Well if you can't beat either , it doesn't make much of a difference. You'd face one of them in the third playoff game regardless if you are the 3 , 4 or 5 seed or lower even.

Two home games is also the same whether 3 or 4

Thanks for the insight, would rather be in Medinas bracket than Ed's, better chance winning that game.
I agree with your logic. The 3 seed probably puts you vs. Medina (assuming both get to the semi's). I would think that Mentor has a better shot at beating Medina than Ed's. That gets them possibly 1 more game and into the region finals. And then who knows. Mentor playing in the region finals was an after thought 4 weeks ago. Everyone still has a few weeks and must stay as healthy as possible. That can be a big key for all the teams as well.

Thank you, some don't get that logic
I get the logic if you think Mentor can beat Medina. But you said that you never said anything about them beating Medina or Eds..

I don't think Mentor beats either of them so to me it doesn't matter much. The goal isn't to lose in round 3. The goal is a state title . So I don't fret much over matchups as you have to beat the best to win anyways at some point

I do agree that they'd have a better shot vs Medina than Eds . I just think both are better than us this season

Last edited:
You are a disgrace to Mentor anything. If you don't understand the fact why its better to be the 3 seed instead of the 4, there is no logic to explain and whats it all matter anyways, the crackpot coaching staff this school has will screw it all up anyways. How the mighty have fallen!
Again you just said previously that you never said anything about beating Medina or Eds....

If you think they can beat Medina then your logic makes sense. Again I'd agree it's likelier than eds so that is why 3 over 4 is slightly better

The reason it's only slightly for me is because I don't think we beat either team. So it's the same result of losing in round 3 at best. That's why I'm not going to care much about 3 vs 4. I can't control it anyways.

As for the disgrace stuff it's ironic you say that while in the same post tearing the coaches to shreds. I've done that towards some too but I'm not the one calling another a disgrace for not being all positive