2022 GCYL Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "studs" and "D1 guys" are almost always the older kids in grade school, even the ones that go to Elder, they are not immune. Yes, there are some that keep that edge into high school, but most of the time, their dominance ends when kids catch up in high school. Stop crowning kids in 6th grade.

Kids leaving their local public school to repeat the same grade at the new private school is another issue although both tend to go hand in hand.
When my wife taught Kindergarten at a Lakota early childhood school, she had kids who did that exact scenario or private to public almost every year. It happens too now that she teaches Kindergarten in Northwest local schools, too.

I think current the K-2 classes are probably even higher than the norm when it comes to kids who were "held back" for one reason or another due to uncertainty involving Covid-related issues. Quite a few parents decided to delay enrolling in Kindergarten in the fall of 2020 because they didn't know if kids would be learning in person or not.

When my wife taught Kindergarten at a Lakota early childhood school, she had kids who did that exact scenario or private to public almost every year. It happens too now that she teaches Kindergarten in Northwest local schools, too.

I think current the K-2 classes are probably even higher than the norm when it comes to kids who were "held back" for one reason or another due to uncertainty involving Covid-related issues. Quite a few parents decided to delay enrolling in Kindergarten in the fall of 2020 or
Again, why do you single out Lakota knowing damn well westside parents and parents that send their kids to Elder are doing the exact same thing?

There are parents that hold their kids back a grade ALL THE TIME for sports reasons, westside parents included. Why do you constantly act like the westside group doesn't do this?

The plausible deniability continues :rolleyes:

Hilarious.

You just throw out random garbage as fact, and then when you get challenged on said garbage you throw out general things of hearing 2nd and 3rd hand stories from people you claim to be friends with. Remind us again your credibility because you "run around" with Moeller and X groups. You can't keep up with your own lies.

You just throw out random garbage as fact, and then when you get challenged on said garbage you throw out general things of hearing 2nd and 3rd hand stories from people you claim to be friends with. Remind us again your credibility because you "run around" with Moeller and X groups. You can't keep up with your own lies.
This is why I call this group the flip-flop group. I've been saying this about older kids for years on this forum and how they dominate. I was tarred and feathered for it.

Other people say the exact same thing, literally 4-5 posts in the past 2 days, and everyone chimes in on how it's a widespread issue - and then people say "but not Elder".

It's freakin hilarious. It is a complete blindspot with the radical right and left of this fanbase.

You don't think Elder (and the westside parish teams) has kids on their team that are a 12-18 months older than some of their classmates in the same grade? I promise you, they do.

I think current the K-2 classes are probably even higher than the norm when it comes to kids who were "held back" for one reason or another due to uncertainty involving Covid-related issues. Quite a few parents decided to delay enrolling in Kindergarten in the fall of 2020 because they didn't know if kids would be learning in person or not.
It's so ironic how easy it is to hold kids back for every reason except the legitimate ones. I know your wife knows this, but it's nearly impossible to hold a child back in elementary, even if they miss more days of school than they are present for, and even if they can't read. But school administrators will bend over backwards holding kids back for literally any other reason.

It's so ironic how easy it is to hold kids back for every reason except the legitimate ones. I know your wife knows this, but it's nearly impossible to hold a child back in elementary, even if they miss more days of school than they are present for, and even if they can't read. But school administrators will bend over backwards holding kids back for literally any other reason.
How is holding your kid back when they are in K-1 because "they aren't ready yet" (which a million parents do, eastside and westside) any different than repeating 8th grade at a private school after being public? At the end of the day, they're all a year older. You just made the same decision earlier in life.

And yes, plenty of parents even do it early for sports reasons. They think Johnny is gonna be a stud.

You don't think Elder (and the westside parish teams) has kids on their team that are a 12-18 months older than some of their classmates in the same grade? I promise you, they do.

In the same grade? Sure. You understand OHSAA allows this. Call OHSAA and complain don't blame the parents and kids, because OHSAA has rules that allow it.

In the same grade? Sure. You understand OHSAA allows this. Call OHSAA and complain don't blame the parents and kids, because OHSAA has rules that allow it.
I'm not complaining. They're not doing anything wrong. I never said they were.

My issue is with Elder people who go all holier than thou and complain about it, yet Elder families do the same thing. You know all of these kids that dominate that pboy and others get so excited about coming out of grade school? Yeah, they're older 80% of the time.

It's the same group that acts holier than thou about "recruiting" and "cheating" when they lose to Moeller in any sport.

Last edited:
As far as holding kids back, principals will do just about anything if a parent complains enough. And when it comes to switching between private and public the public schools are required to take the kids so they do and the private schools don't seem to mind either.

Judging when a child--especially a boy--is ready to start school is a challenge for parents and it's not something educators agree on 100% either. In the end parents need to make a decision about what is best for their child and hopefully sports don't factor into the equation.

Again, why do you single out Lakota knowing damn well westside parents and parents that send their kids to Elder are doing the exact same thing?

There are parents that hold their kids back a grade ALL THE TIME for sports reasons, westside parents included. Why do you constantly act like the westside group doesn't do this?
Is that a serious question? Because that's the direct example he knows of it happening since his wife was working with those kids and families directly.

Is that a serious question? Because that's the direct example he knows of it happening since his wife was working with those kids and families directly.
Direct question - do Elder families also play this game resulting in athletes being very old for their grades, and resulting in advantages in grade school athletics?

Anyone? Anybody?

In 5 years now watching GCYL football, I can think of only one Visi Spirit kid that I thought might be much older than everyone else. I really don't think holding kids back is a thing that happens. This isn't Texas.

How is holding your kid back when they are in K-1 because "they aren't ready yet" (which a million parents do, eastside and westside) any different than repeating 8th grade at a private school after being public? At the end of the day, they're all a year older. You just made the same decision earlier in life.

And yes, plenty of parents even do it early for sports reasons. They think Johnny is gonna be a stud.
It's not.

My point was it is impossible for teachers to hold students back for lack of academic progress, but parents can hold their children back for any reason.

Crickets, as usual.

But not surprising.
You asked a question and gave everyone an hour to respond on a work day lol the answer is: of course. It likely happens in every school district, everywhere. Why would any school or district be immune to it? I don't know kids' ages or grades or whatever, so I don't have specific examples, but I went to school with a kid who was 15 in 6th or 7th grade. He wasn't a good athlete, but still. Remember playing against St. Martin in football back in the day and their "stud" RB was 15 or 16 as an 8th grader. Don't know where he ended up, but it's happened in the past and will continue to happen because no one is gonna question a parent who does it since it's easy for them to say, "Oh, he's just not ready for X grade."

As for guys I went to Elder with, I don't recall anyone being much older for our grade/age group. There were guys with summer birthdays in like June or July who were older, but that was it.

OK, so within 12 minutes, there is a response of:

"I don't know a single one" and

"of course"

This is exactly what I'm talking about regarding the chronic flip-flop and extremes on this board. One person literally said never, and another one said always. LOL

I at least respect Doug's response because he told an obvious truth. But the question remains, why do people go out of their way to say Elder doesn't do something when it's obvious everyone does? Another perfect example. Can someone please explain this obvious shuddering of the truth to try to make Elder look pristine?

It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen from a fanbase. The "recruiting" argument falls right in line with this one too.

Last edited:
As for guys I went to Elder with, I don't recall anyone being much older for our grade/age group. There were guys with summer birthdays in like June or July who were older, but that was it.
Well that year makes a big difference in grade school, especially if you have 5-6 kids that could realistically be a year older than their classmates and their competition. And multiple years older if they are playing on teams that combo a younger grade. That could be almost a 3 year difference from the oldest kid on the team to the youngest kid on the team if, for example, 7th and 8th grade were combined.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with that. It's not against the rules, so parents have every right to make that call. My ongoing argument around this issue was for people to realize when that exists and not to put too much into grade school success if that was the reality. And that was the case for many of the "stud" classes over the last 5-10 years that honestly didn't even come close to living up to the hype. This was part of the reason why.

Basically, you're allowed to use the argument for any school unless you use it for Elder.

Last edited:
Well that year makes a big difference in grade school, especially if you have 5-6 kids that could realistically be a year older than their classmates as their competition.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with that. It's not against the rules, so parents have every right to make that call. My ongoing argument around this issue was for people to realize when that exists and not to put too much into grade school success if that was the reality. And that was the case for many of the "stud" classes over the last 5 years that honestly didn't even come close to living up to the hype.
Whoever the guy was who coined the phrase “Grade school hero high school zero” would probably love this discussion.

Make sure she does some recruiting for Elder.

Direct question - do Elder families also play this game resulting in athletes being very old for their grades, and resulting in advantages in grade school athletics?

Anyone? Anybody?
Yes I'm sure it happens. I personally do not know any specific examples. I've been told names through the years, but it's all second hand so could it be true? Of course. Am I going to list a bunch of names for your sake? No.

I’ve coached a long time Trey and never had a kid 2 years older than classmates. Have I had say a 7th grader that’s a couple weeks older than a few of the 8th graders? Yes. Is it 5-6 kids per team as you allege? Of course not. Maybe have had it twice in the last 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.