St. Edward @ Massillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is an uphill battle for the Tigers, but not impossible. Protect the ball, eliminate the stupid penalties and create some turnovers and they could be there at the end to pull it out.

Ed's- 28, Massillon- 21.

It will be a good game but I think Ed's will pull away in the 2nd half. The line just wears opponents down. I trust the offense will not make the mistakes they made yesterday. I'm thinking 31-18 or 31-21. For the record, I always love going down to Massillon for a game.

There is a rebroadcast of St Ed's latest game on Bally Sports Ohio Extra at 7:00 p.m. tonight(Sept.11). For those who have Spectrum cable, that's Channel 1310.

Always look forward to when these two dirty, no good, cheating programs square off! Should be a good one down at PBT Stadium. It's no secret that the Eagles will look to pound the ball offensively and hope to wear down the Tigers over the course of 4 quarters. After operating pretty efficiently from the pocket in the first two weeks, Casey Bullock has had some consistency issues in the passing game the past two weeks against Cherry Creek and Elder. Luckily he has still been a reliable running threat out of the read-option heavy offense. I do feel he will need to elevate his performance this week and hit a few of the big plays downfield that have been the calling card of this offense under Lombardo. As good as the defense has been this year, I don't want to count on them holding a talented Massillon offensive bunch to 2 Td's or less.

Always look forward to when these two dirty, no good, cheating programs square off! Should be a good one down at PBT Stadium. It's no secret that the Eagles will look to pound the ball offensively and hope to wear down the Tigers over the course of 4 quarters. After operating pretty efficiently from the pocket in the first two weeks, Casey Bullock has had some consistency issues in the passing game the past two weeks against Cherry Creek and Elder. Luckily he has still been a reliable running threat out of the read-option heavy offense. I do feel he will need to elevate his performance this week and hit a few of the big plays downfield that have been the calling card of this offense under Lombardo. As good as the defense has been this year, I don't want to count on them holding a talented Massillon offensive bunch to 2 Td's or less.
Time of possession is going to be a huge factor in the outcome of this game. We escaped out of Massillon in 2020 with the luck of big plays bailing us out. And while the score may not seem like it, last year was a close game, and may have went differently if Massillon could have established their offensive system. I agree that we will need to hold the ball as long as we can, keep the defense fresh and prevent Massillon from getting in an offensive rhythm.

I always love games at PBTS and I'm sure this will be no different. The atmosphere and the upset watch works against us. While I think we stand as the favorite in this game, if we are inconsistent and turn the ball over a few times, I wouldn't be shocked to see us get upset. This is a true midseason test and I hope the team isn't looking over Massillon just based off of 2 wins in a row.

Time of possession is going to be a huge factor in the outcome of this game. We escaped out of Massillon in 2020 with the luck of big plays bailing us out. And while the score may not seem like it, last year was a close game, and may have went differently if Massillon could have established their offensive system. I agree that we will need to hold the ball as long as we can, keep the defense fresh and prevent Massillon from getting in an offensive rhythm.

I always love games at PBTS and I'm sure this will be no different. The atmosphere and the upset watch works against us. While I think we stand as the favorite in this game, if we are inconsistent and turn the ball over a few times, I wouldn't be shocked to see us get upset. This is a true midseason test and I hope the team isn't looking over Massillon just based off of 2 wins in a row.

Last week is the first time we looked capable throwing the ball, don't know if it was a mirage or if it was the first step into having a truly balanced offense (obviously I hope it's the latter) Despite what appears to be a pretty balanced offense over the years with Kutscher, Morgan, Ballard, Wilson-Lamp and now Banks, make no mistake Massillon was and is a run first team. We like to run between the tackles and have had some success but trying to get the corner with jet sweeps hasn't been very effective despite the vast amount of speed we have. Not sure how Massillon will try to attack you guys offensively on the ground to try to neutralize those big tough ends but I wouldn't be surprised to see some slip screens.

Massillon should try and get the ball out quickly. Gideon is in the backfield almost as the ball is snapped.

I agree 100% regarding the importance of possession time. Massillon's defense might be able to keep them in it but will wear down just like all of St Ed's other opponents unless the offense can sustain some drives throughout the game to keep them off the field as much as possible. Both offenses are run heavy but have the ability to make big plays in the pass game. Coverage breakdowns could be a deciding factor one way or another.

Massillon needs to figure out a way to keep Gideon and Kilbane from completely wrecking the offense. The OT's and TE's are going to get a baptism by fire in trying to block DE's that play with violent hands and great technique.

If Massillon can scheme a way to block the Ed’s De’s, they will be fine offensively. If not, those two will wreak havoc.

Has the offense been bad in the passing game or have they just not utilized it much thus far?
Inconsistent. Slaughter will throw a rope right on the money and it's dropped, the next play he throws a bounce pass on a wr screen. Last week it was clicking. If I hadn't seen them play yet this year I'd have thought that it was the norm. Hopefully it is from here on out.

Has the offense been bad in the passing game or have they just not utilized it much thus far?
Yeah. The passing game has been suspect until Mansfield and then improved further against Warren Harding. Combination of throws being off and receivers not making the catch. Looked pretty solid against Warren Harding. Not sure what the issues were with the throws as we have seen #2 make a lot of these same passes last year.
I have watched Ed's last couple of games - They are definitely beatable. We need to play clean, minimize the unforced errors/penalties. They are good, no question. Time for the Tigers to take a step up.

I hate the dang early mistakes we always seem to make. Happened again Warren too. Dude scooted off to the races. Definitely improving the passing game. And oh, don't forget about my near heart attack watching the stream when our freaking TIGHT END caught a touchdown pass. LOL.

We must sustain drives on offense, we have the defense to hang with anyone. Our defense is set up perfectly for Ed's run centric offense, but they can't be hung out to dry all game. We've got to see our offense move the ball consistently and that consistency has to start with the coaches calling plays that will keep the offense in rhythm and not behind the chains on downs. Ed's is going to do their best to keep Hartson in check, so that means getting Slaughter some easy completions and maybe even some designed runs for him. Our offense must take the next step in progressing, I believe that the ingredients to be successful are there for this team, it comes down to can we put all the ingredients together.

Status
Not open for further replies.