Open HS Jobs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-092642_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-092642_Facebook.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
That’s a real shame. The two programs I have held as the standard in recent years for both baseball and more importantly running their programs with class have been Elder under Coach Thompson and St. Xavier under Coach Sherlock. The players and coaches involved in those games have made them a joy to watch regardless of who won on that particular day. That they’ve played each other three (and sometimes four) times in a season has made the rivalry a real treat to watch.

While I doubt there’s anyone available who would compare to Coach Sherlock, here’s hoping that St. X can find a new head coach who can teach their teams not just about baseball, but more importantly about character, in the same way he has. Good luck to Coach Sherlock and hopefully we’ll get to see him around ballparks for years to come!

And here’s hoping for many more years of Coach Thompson in purple!

Who's going to take over at Dublin Jerome? Huey has been the only coach since the school was built (18 Years).

Will it be one of Huey's asst coaches, or does the AD Joe Bline have someone in line?

I can't believe that Dublin Jerome fired/let go Huey by way of an e-mail, classless. (n)

Who's going to take over at Dublin Jerome? Huey has been the only coach since the school was built (18 Years).

Will it be one of Huey's asst coaches, or does the AD Joe Bline have someone in line?

I can't believe that Dublin Jerome fired/let go Huey by way of an e-mail, classless. (n)
I imagine many will apply. Even with the bad administration, the facilities alone at DJ are any HS baseball coaches dream.

Names that could make sense:
Nate Hillery- Former HC at Hilliard Bradley and Teacher in the district.
Alex Shapiro- Dublin Coffman's top assistant with plenty of HC experience from his time in KY
Craig Kyle- Current Jonathan Alder Coach. Previous relationship with Principal and FB Coach at Jerome.
Mike Kula- Former Ready HC and Olentangy Orange Assistant. Currently teaches English at Jerome.
Colin Seely- Top assistant at Jerome the past few years. DJ Alumni, and teacher in the district.
Josh Rine- Fairbanks HC. Young coach right down the road who is trying to move up
Ryan Longbreak- HC at Dublin Scioto, DJ Alumni, Teacher in the district.

Timing with this one is strange with school starting next week. My gut tells me they would try to get someone already in the district, but who knows with Joe Bline at the Helm.

I imagine many will apply. Even with the bad administration, the facilities alone at DJ are any HS baseball coaches dream.

Names that could make sense:
Nate Hillery- Former HC at Hilliard Bradley and Teacher in the district.
Alex Shapiro- Dublin Coffman's top assistant with plenty of HC experience from his time in KY
Craig Kyle- Current Jonathan Alder Coach. Previous relationship with Principal and FB Coach at Jerome.
Mike Kula- Former Ready HC and Olentangy Orange Assistant. Currently teaches English at Jerome.
Colin Seely- Top assistant at Jerome the past few years. DJ Alumni, and teacher in the district.
Josh Rine- Fairbanks HC. Young coach right down the road who is trying to move up
Ryan Longbreak- HC at Dublin Scioto, DJ Alumni, Teacher in the district.

Timing with this one is strange with school starting next week. My gut tells me they would try to get someone already in the district, but who knows with Joe Bline at the Helm.

Really good list BVG18. So many good ex head coaches teaching in the Dublin school district. I forgot all about Hillery and Kula, both ex Bishop Ready head coaches. How long has Kula been at Orange?

I think Seely gets it, but if you can get Kyle that would be good for Jerome.

Just happened yesterday
There is a member of the St. X Baseball Staff who has been an Assistant at All HS Levels and I think a Head Coach at JV&Freshman levels for many years. He not really an old guy though. Think he would be interested?

There is a member of the St. X Baseball Staff who has been an Assistant at All HS Levels and I think a Head Coach at JV&Freshman levels for many years. He not really an old guy though. Think he would be interested?
No telling. One would assume he would have been privy to what was going on at that school that led to the resignation.
Only he knows. He’s also likely privy to whatever issues may be at that school that drove a veteran coach to resign in August.

R U serious? What a cluster over there on the NW side. That place is the graveyard of coaches. From what I have been told numerous times is that AD, let's just say, not very smart... 20 years there or whatever it was and get an email? My GAWD, have some #$%^&.

Any update at Dublin Jerome?

I believe off season workouts we’re able to begin this past week.

That’s a real shame. The two programs I have held as the standard in recent years for both baseball and more importantly running their programs with class have been Elder under Coach Thompson and St. Xavier under Coach Sherlock. The players and coaches involved in those games have made them a joy to watch regardless of who won on that particular day. That they’ve played each other three (and sometimes four) times in a season has made the rivalry a real treat to watch.

While I doubt there’s anyone available who would compare to Coach Sherlock, here’s hoping that St. X can find a new head coach who can teach their teams not just about baseball, but more importantly about character, in the same way he has. Good luck to Coach Sherlock and hopefully we’ll get to see him around ballparks for years to come!

And here’s hoping for many more years of Coach Thompson in purple!
Coach Sherlock may have been a great guy and class individual but his teams dramatically underachieved. The amount of hi level D1 talent that has flowed through those halls in the last 4 years would make your head spin. In my opinion this was a situation similar to what happened to Scott Martin and consistent mediocrity just wasn't going to be tolerated. I have said it many times over the years, the consistent baseball teams run programs and not just teams. Hitting leagues, pitching programs, open fields in the fall, being involved in summer baseball in some way, shape or form. Anyway, I hope X gets a a good one. It would be nice to see them reach their potential.

Coach Sherlock may have been a great guy and class individual but his teams dramatically underachieved. The amount of hi level D1 talent that has flowed through those halls in the last 4 years would make your head spin. In my opinion this was a situation similar to what happened to Scott Martin and consistent mediocrity just wasn't going to be tolerated. I have said it many times over the years, the consistent baseball teams run programs and not just teams. Hitting leagues, pitching programs, open fields in the fall, being involved in summer baseball in some way, shape or form. Anyway, I hope X gets a a good one. It would be nice to see them reach their potential.
I know X has had some great players and teams but they play in the best DI baseball league in Ohio, tough to crack the Crusader/Panther stranglehold. Sherlock's overall record between Fenwick and St. X appears to be 172-176 with a 122-94 record for the Bombers. His gcl south record was 33-39(?) with two conference titles(2017, 2021). He also won a conference title at Fenwick in 2013. I think he had two Bomber teams make it to the regionals but at both schools a lot of second round exits. All of this info came from the GCLS website.
Who do the Bombers turn to? I heard the Badin coach had been approached about the job but he's a Ram alum and his first son is a 9th grader at the school. Would have been a great hire for them, the dude wins big in Ramland.

Nobody in southwest Ohio has had anywhere close to the “hi level D1 talent” of Moeller in recent years. Looking back at the league’s recent past, the champs have been:

2022: Moe
2021: X
2020: no season (sadly probably X’s best season talent wise on paper)
2019: Elder, Moe, X split
2018: Moe
2017: X

So two outright titles each for Moeller and St. X and one 3-way between them and Elder.

I’ve met Coach Sherlock. He is indeed a “great guy and class individual”. Especially when you look at the recent results and the competition they faced, there’s a better argument to be made that they over rather than underachieved.

St. Xavier Baseball will no doubt be hit hard by Coach Sherlock’s decision to opt out. The work he’s put in both in the off-season and in season has returned the program to competing for titles every year. In the nine years before his arrival (league website doesn’t go back any further), St. X had one shared title with Moeller in 2011 and finished lower every other year. His decision to leave created a major void.

I know X has had some great players and teams but they play in the best DI baseball league in Ohio, tough to crack the Crusader/Panther stranglehold. Sherlock's overall record between Fenwick and St. X appears to be 172-176 with a 122-94 record for the Bombers. His gcl south record was 33-39(?) with two conference titles(2017, 2021). He also won a conference title at Fenwick in 2013. I think he had two Bomber teams make it to the regionals but at both schools a lot of second round exits. All of this info came from the GCLS website.
Who do the Bombers turn to? I heard the Badin coach had been approached about the job but he's a Ram alum and his first son is a 9th grader at the school. Would have been a great hire for them, the dude wins big in Ramland.
So you believe it would be a “great hire” for St. X to go from a baseball coach who exemplifies the school’s “Men For Others” motto AND who wins (2 outright and 1 shared of the last 5 GCL South titles) to one who…wins?

So you believe it would be a “great hire” for St. X to go from a baseball coach who exemplifies the school’s “Men For Others” motto AND who wins (2 outright and 1 shared of the last 5 GCL South titles) to one who…wins?
I think that’s the general idea. If it was about “men for others” wouldn’t coach Sherlock still be at X? I don’t know what lead to his departure. The GCL south seems to expect more tournament success than two district titles in 8 years. Also 33-39 conference record is mediocre at best. As I stated Badin’s coach is going nowhere to my knowledge. I also think he would fit in perfectly with X’s “men for others”.
I also just stated his record as posted from the gcl south website.

Last edited:
Nobody in southwest Ohio has had anywhere close to the “hi level D1 talent” of Moeller in recent years. Looking back at the league’s recent past, the champs have been:

2022: Moe
2021: X
2020: no season (sadly probably X’s best season talent wise on paper)
2019: Elder, Moe, X split
2018: Moe
2017: X

So two outright titles each for Moeller and St. X and one 3-way between them and Elder.

I’ve met Coach Sherlock. He is indeed a “great guy and class individual”. Especially when you look at the recent results and the competition they faced, there’s a better argument to be made that they over rather than underachieved.

St. Xavier Baseball will no doubt be hit hard by Coach Sherlock’s decision to opt out. The work he’s put in both in the off-season and in season has returned the program to competing for titles every year. In the nine years before his arrival (league website doesn’t go back any further), St. X had one shared title with Moeller in 2011 and finished lower every other year. His decision to leave created a major void.

Cannot disagree with you more about the underachievement. Just in the class of 2020 alone had four high level D1 players. Hundley, Hudepol (who expected to be drafted in the third round his senior year if covid had not hit), Jones and another fellow who is now at OSU but initially went to GT. And in 2019 when those guys were juniors, X was around .500. The GCL South is so small, it hard to give credit to those that win it or lose it. I think it is based on 2 or three games against each so I don't really care who wins when that league. I watched a sophomore from West (in 2018), who did nothing as a junior and a senior, shut X down in the regional finals. Moeller has a program, Badin has a program, Mason has a program. under Coach Sherlock, X had a team that started playin Feb and finished in mid May. Your argument is the same that people made about Coach Martin. Great teacher, great guy and at one time a great coach but results matter and when you are paying 16k or more in tuition, you need to do better.

Badin coach is not going anywhere unless X makes an offer that he cannot refuse. Maybe Keith, the bench coach from Moeller and Cincinnati Christian. Just spit ballin'

Badin coach is not going anywhere unless X makes an offer that he cannot refuse. Maybe Keith, the bench coach from Moeller and Cincinnati Christian. Just spit ballin'
My understanding is there was an offer he couldn’t refuse and he still did.
HS programs having “bench” coaches is hilarious. Are they the equivalent to the “get back” coach in football?

Talked to a couple Worthington coaches this week, said he heard from numerous sources that 3 assistants applied for Jerome job. One a former strength trainer from Watterson Duranttt and Starling from NA and that’s all that applied. LOLLlLLL. That’s embarrassing for that admin staff. No one literally wants to be in that district to coach. Especially DJ. Starling is in line for Bradley’s position so that’s no experienced coach taking the helm. What a tornado. I thought former Bradley coach wanted it Hillary but hear he pulled his name out after dealing with their AD I guess. Sounds like a power parent and an AD that’s one beer short of a sixer- probably Craig Krezle- heard he is like that power parent that throws his weight around. Happy for Starling if that is true… he got a raw deal like Huey. Good to see.

My understanding is there was an offer he couldn’t refuse and he still did.
HS programs having “bench” coaches is hilarious. Are they the equivalent to the “get back” coach in football?
Interesting but not surprising. Don't know if X is really committed to having another program after swimming and football. I know that Steve has run into more issues than you would imagine and he has won and played in multiple state championships. For example Kuechly offered to Dome that practice field/track/soccer field and X said no thanks. Heard last week at the Reds game from a recent graduate that there was an offer to build a hockey rink (seems a little far-fetched I admit) but regardless the answer was again no thanks.. Why would a coach go there and deal with that?

Interesting but not surprising. Don't know if X is really committed to having another program after swimming and football. I know that Steve has run into more issues than you would imagine and he has won and played in multiple state championships. For example Kuechly offered to Dome that practice field/track/soccer field and X said no thanks. Heard last week at the Reds game from a recent graduate that there was an offer to build a hockey rink (seems a little far-fetched I admit) but regardless the answer was again no thanks.. Why would a coach go there and deal with that?
Who making the decisions to decline Free upgrades and additions to athletic facilities at St. X? School President? If true that really doesn’t make any sense.

Who making the decisions to decline Free upgrades and additions to athletic facilities at St. X? School President? If true that really doesn’t make any sense.
Ask any of your friends that are X alumnus about the school's attitude concerning financial support.... It is about control. If they cannot control the money, they would rather not have the donation. And there is the appearance thing that they are always worried about too. They don't want to be considered "THAT" school. They don't realize that they are already considered to be "THAT" school. Honestly, it just hurts the students but it has been like this for as long as my family can remember.

Talked to a couple Worthington coaches this week, said he heard from numerous sources that 3 assistants applied for Jerome job. One a former strength trainer from Watterson Duranttt and Starling from NA and that’s all that applied. LOLLlLLL. That’s embarrassing for that admin staff. No one literally wants to be in that district to coach. Especially DJ. Starling is in line for Bradley’s position so that’s no experienced coach taking the helm. What a tornado. I thought former Bradley coach wanted it Hillary but hear he pulled his name out after dealing with their AD I guess. Sounds like a power parent and an AD that’s one beer short of a sixer- probably Craig Krezle- heard he is like that power parent that throws his weight around. Happy for Starling if that is true… he got a raw deal like Huey. Good to see.

Thanks for the info, it doesn't sound like a great situation at Jerome, but I don't know everything that's going on there.