Fairless 40 - Tusky Valley 7
Roosevelt 22 - Indian Valley 17

Newcomerstown 52 - Bealsville 0
Malvern 21 - Conotton Valley 20
Harrison Central 48 - Buckeye Trail 20
Waterloo 40 - Strasburg 14
United 55 -East Canton 21

Good luck to TCC and Claymont today!
TCC won and Claymont got blown out so the IVC goes 6-6 on the week after going 5-7 in week one. Ugh.

35 minute drive to Canton South and it’s over in 12 minutes. Plus side, after the game went over to Bakers Cafe 33 for a steak and beer. Waitress asked how I wanted my steak cooked and I told her like a Mustangs win. She said “rare, it is!”
Sooner or later this program has to turn around!

Good question. I like Claymont's chances of turning it around in the South much better than Tusky Valley's. However, I'll say Newcomerstown because the North Division schools are so small that it could be possible to go from the bottom to the top of the division with 1 good class. The big question would then be: Is Newcomerstown capable of producing that 1 good class? Strasburg is so small that I expect them to always struggle with having enough quantity, let alone quality.
I was talking to my neighbor about this last night after we saw the Claymont score and he brought up a good point. If you were a good young coach and you had a kids that you were going to send to the school you were coaching at would you even apply at Claymont or Newcomerstown?

His point was basically if you are choosing a school to be at for 10+ years you are probably looking at Tusky Valley. For all of their problems in football, they are a good school district you'd probably feel good taking your kids to academically. So I didn't really think of it that way but it was an interesting thought. I could see TV being the most attractive to a coach with a family.

35 minute drive to Canton South and it’s over in 12 minutes. Plus side, after the game went over to Bakers Cafe 33 for a steak and beer. Waitress asked how I wanted my steak cooked and I told her like a Mustangs win. She said “rare, it is!”
Sooner or later this program has to turn around!
Just a quick look at the schedule and it looks like they have 3 winnable games with Marietta, Buckeye Trail and Tusky Valley. They probably won't be competitive at all in the other five. This week will be ugly vs. Fairless.

I was talking to my neighbor about this last night after we saw the Claymont score and he brought up a good point. If you were a good young coach and you had a kids that you were going to send to the school you were coaching at would you even apply at Claymont or Newcomerstown?

His point was basically if you are choosing a school to be at for 10+ years you are probably looking at Tusky Valley. For all of their problems in football, they are a good school district you'd probably feel good taking your kids to academically. So I didn't really think of it that way but it was an interesting thought. I could see TV being the most attractive to a coach with a family.
I was telling someone from Newcomerstown this the other day. You're going to either get a young coach who isn't ready and lacks experience, which didn't work with Gadd, or someone who's looking to show any improvement and get a bigger payday somewhere else.

Reality is becoming that in 2022 no need to have 6-7 high schools within 15 mins of each other. What ever 1 succeeds academically will take the kids these days.

The OVAC suffers from this on the Ohio side. Way to many small schools just sucking tax dollars with terrible academics. Kids going elsewhere so you see those schools suffer athletically.

Reality is becoming that in 2022 no need to have 6-7 high schools within 15 mins of each other. What ever 1 succeeds academically will take the kids these days.

The OVAC suffers from this on the Ohio side. Way to many small schools just sucking tax dollars with terrible academics. Kids going elsewhere so you see those schools suffer athletically.
The grade 9-11 enrollment headcounts the OHSAA takes from the Ohio Dept. of Education gives us the following for the East District:
Fall 2008 Headcount showed a total of 10906 boys and 10064 girls enrolled in grades 9-11 among the 56 schools that were in the East District (this was after Minerva went to the East District and Wellsville went to the NE).

Fall 2021 Headcount showed a total of 8979 boys and 8548 girls in grades 9-11 among the 54 schools that are in the East District (the extremely small schools of Olney Friends and East Richland Christian were OHSAA members in '08).

That's an enrollment decrease in the 15-20% range for the entire District. That will definitely affect the quality of a lot of programs at a lot of the schools in the East. That also brings us back to your point of are all these HSs still needed? That's an entirely different discussion that's been done to death on some of the other threads with regards to other parts of the state.

Last edited:
The grade 9-11 enrollment headcounts the OHSAA takes6 from the Ohio Dept. of Education gives us the following for the East District:
Fall 2008 Headcount showed a total of 10906 boys and 10064 girls enrolled in grades 9-11 among the 56 schools that were in the East District (this was after Minerva went to the East District and Wellsville went to the NE).

Fall 2021 Headcount showed a total of 8979 boys and 8548 girls in grades 9-11 among the 54 schools that are in the East District (the extremely small schools of Olney Friends and East Richland Christian were OHSAA members in '08).

That's an enrollment decrease in the 15-20% range for the entire District. That will definitely affect the quality of a lot of programs at a lot of the schools in the East. That also brings us back to your point of are all these HSs still needed? That's an entirely different discussion that's been done to death on some of the other threads with regards to other parts of the state.
Enrollment reductions bring to need for consolidation even more. All those empty rooms being paid for at taxpayers expense.

So curious as to everyone's thoughts on the news Dover applied to join the IVC as a full time member or a full-time member minus football.

I would be very intrigued about Dover joining in everything but football. Football is obviously a no-go simply off of enrollment but as far as the other sports I think it would be great. Thoughts.

So curious as to everyone's thoughts on the news Dover applied to join the IVC as a full time member or a full-time member minus football.

I would be very intrigued about Dover joining in everything but football. Football is obviously a no-go simply off of enrollment but as far as the other sports I think it would be great. Thoughts.

I think it only makes sense if Phila joins, as well. And even then, this still feels weird…

I know Dover really wants to be in a league, but I think they would fit much better with some schools in Stark county. If nothing else, joining the IVC would be good for middle school.

This reminds me of Zanesville constantly trying to get into the MVL, even though they’d be the biggest school, before ultimately joining with the Licking County schools.

a D2 applying to a d 4,5,6,7 league.

shame on Dover - no chance the IVC would even give it a thought

and yet a league with several D2 schools and a floating bye week sits right up the road with Dover rarely finding themselves on any of their schedules

I agree for the most part. One thing I will say, though, is that there is no perfect fit:
- IVC- should be obvious why it’s a bad idea, but like you said: huge size disparity with Dover being the largest school by a lot. The only noticeable benefit is that travel would be the best of all the options that I’m listing.
- Federal- I like this better, but they would be the smallest school. Would like it better if others joined and went to two tier.
- EBC- Dover would be the biggest, but not by an uncomfortable amount. Would make sense if Louisville joined with them.
- OCC- Best fit athletically, and Dover would be somewhere in the middle enrollment-wise. Travel is not ideal, and the OCC likely doesn’t want to go away from 8 schools. If a school leaves, I expect Dover to get the invite, though. I just don’t think Dover wants to wait around.
-PAC- Seems like a stable 8-team league (now that Canton South has joined), but is a bit too small. Not a terrible fit, but just doesn’t feel like Dover would be considered here. Maybe Louisville and Dover could join here to make it a 10 team league. Dover would be the biggest here by an amount that starts to seem like too big of a gap.
- MVL- Probably too far away? I also don’t think they would want to get away from the current 12 teams, but they fit in athletically with Tri-Valley, Sheridan, etc. Dover would be the biggest here, as well, but like the EBC, the gap is reasonable.

Personally, I hope they apply and get accepted into the EBC or a two-tiered Fed.

Of all of these listed, the OCC is the only one that doesn’t have every team bigger or smaller than Dover. Dover needs a D2/D3 league, and there just aren’t any in the area…

The reality is there isn't a perfect league for Dover. Every league has it's issues. Sure, the IVC is the smallest of those leagues but the IVC also has many great programs that would be just fine playing Dover.

But hey, that's Dover's problem. The last thing the IVC needs to do is add more teams and muddy the waters even more.

1661886780766.png

I don't think it would be horrible. Every school district has to put travel expenses as a priority. IVC for Dover would be great for middle school and varsity sports. I say yes. Why not. It's always mentioned that quality of matters. So the IVC would only stand to be better with Dover. IMO

I'm not huge on Dover sports in general, but other than football, what sport does Dover step in and become the instant favorite in the IVC?

I actually think basketball is one of the few sports where teams like Hiland and Garaway could beat them. I would think other sports would be more automatic than basketball.
I'm not huge on Dover sports in general, but other than football, what sport does Dover step in and become the instant favorite in the IVC?
Not many actually. So let's take a sport by sport look at whether Dover would be the instant favorite. This is based on how things have gone since the IVC was expanded in 2016-2017.

Football - Yes, of course.
Volleyball - Never
Boys' Cross Country - No
Girls' Cross Country - No
Boys' Golf - No
Girls' Golf - No
Soccer - IVC doesn't have soccer
Tennis - IVC doesn't have tennis
Boys' Basketball - Yes, but definitely years teams would compete and challenge them
Girls' Basketball - No. Not a chance
Wrestling - No idea. Can't tell you a thing about wrestling
Bowling - IVC doesn't have bowling
Baseball - Probably the favorite but certainly not unbeatable
Softball - They'd avoid Strasburg so they'd be in the mix for sure but not auto favorite
Boys' Track - No
Girls' Track - Probably. Dover and TV have been battling it out in meets for a couple of years now with each winning some.

I'm sure Dover would finish in the top half of the league in pretty much everything but the IVC has some really, really strong programs at the top of almost every sport that Dover isn't beating right now.

Not many actually. So let's take a sport by sport look at whether Dover would be the instant favorite. This is based on how things have gone since the IVC was expanded in 2016-2017.

Football - Yes, of course.
Volleyball - Never
Boys' Cross Country - No
Girls' Cross Country - No
Boys' Golf - No
Girls' Golf - No
Soccer - IVC doesn't have soccer
Tennis - IVC doesn't have tennis
Boys' Basketball - Yes, but definitely years teams would compete and challenge them
Girls' Basketball - No. Not a chance
Wrestling - No idea. Can't tell you a thing about wrestling
Bowling - IVC doesn't have bowling
Baseball - Probably the favorite but certainly not unbeatable
Softball - They'd avoid Strasburg so they'd be in the mix for sure but not auto favorite
Boys' Track - No
Girls' Track - Probably. Dover and TV have been battling it out in meets for a couple of years now with each winning some.

I'm sure Dover would finish in the top half of the league in pretty much everything but the IVC has some really, really strong programs at the top of almost every sport that Dover isn't beating right now.
Great post...hard to argue...
I'm sure NP will be looking after they experience their new conference...