2022 Southwestern Buckeye League

The talk continues, I was talking with a couple of folks that told me Talawanda is and will be in the Swbl when Edgewood and ross join. They aren't letting it out right now as they are looking for another school to come with. They were in talks with Middletown and they declined. heard WC is the next option they are considering. Don,t see them leaving the MVL but you never know. I don't see Madison and Carlisle looking to go anywhere when this happens. They will have a big school side and smaller school side. Outside looks if WC joins:

Bellbrook
Franklin
Monroe
Edgewood
Ross
Talawanda
West Carrolton

Carlisle
Waynesville
Madison
Brookville
Valley View
Eaton
Oakwood
I wasn’t crazy about Middletown being thought of. I’m in the community and see how they perform in most sports. I don’t think they would be a juggernaut in the SWBL, but looks like it was there decision. Geographically it would be perfect. And no this isn’t like inviting Wayne to the SWBL. Comparing those 2 sports programs is highly laughable.

I wasn’t crazy about Middletown being thought of. I’m in the community and see how they perform in most sports. I don’t think they would be a juggernaut in the SWBL, but looks like it was there decision. Geographically it would be perfect. And no this isn’t like inviting Wayne to the SWBL. Comparing those 2 sports programs is highly laughable.
From a numbers viewpoint it is crazy for them to join. They would lose some but can you see Madison vs Middletown?

looks like it will only be one year the smaller schools will have to play bigger schools. Once Edgewood and Ross enter league it will be different. At least what I’m hearing. The reason small schools stayed is because they don’t have to play bigger schools year in and out. Maybe one crossover game a year. I’m sure East will be looking to Add a school soon. I’m shocked they didn’t bring Talawanda on board. I doubt Carlisle will be D6, they have a new school and a ton of new houses being built. Daughter graduates this year and her class is 120. I’m sure the classes under hers is around same ballpark if not higher.

East
Franklin
Bellbrook
Edgewood
Ross
Monroe

West
Carlisle
Eaton
Waynesville
VV
Oakwood
Madison
Brookville
SBLSPORTS has Waynesville In the EAST division of the league, so does Calpreps, is that wrong!

Geographically makes sense for sure. They would be the biggest school hands down in SWBL. They have struggled in the GMC in most sports. I couldn't imagine them playing Carlisle or Madison ever. Definitely not Wayne but would be nice for them to play Franklin, Edgewood, Ross, Talawanda, Bellbrook and Monroe year after year.

Geographically makes sense for sure. They would be the biggest school hands down in SWBL. They have struggled in the GMC in most sports. I couldn't imagine them playing Carlisle or Madison ever. Definitely not Wayne but would be nice for them to play Franklin, Edgewood, Ross, Talawanda, Bellbrook and Monroe year after year.
Discussing Middletown moving to SWBL makes no sense at all. SWBL may compete with E sports and that is probably about it.

Discussing Middletown moving to SWBL makes no sense at all. SWBL may compete with E sports and that is probably about it.
You haven’t watched Middletown in any sport the past few years. They wouldn’t win the SWBL in a lot of sports, competitively this isn’t the Middletown your thinking of. Them moving to the GWOC would fix none of there problems, probably 1-9, 0-10 in that league too.

You haven’t watched Middletown in any sport the past few years. They wouldn’t win the SWBL in a lot of sports, competitively this isn’t the Middletown your thinking of. Them moving to the GWOC would fix none of there problems, probably 1-9, 0-10 in that league too.
Middies have a new coaching staff this year.
They beat Oak Hills by 10 and Coldwater, who would beat everyone in the SWBL, beat OakHills by 8. Middletown would own this league.

Middies have a new coaching staff this year.
They beat Oak Hills by 10 and Coldwater, who would beat everyone in the SWBL, beat OakHills by 8. Middletown would own this league.
Oak Hills lost 14-6 to Coldwater and lost to Middletown by 10, the middies didn’t play Coldwater. The last team Middletown had that would have won the SWBL is 2015. Since then they are 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 1-9, 1-6, 1-8. 3 wins against Western Hills, 2 against Oak Hills, and 1 against Walnut Hills. Maybe they find there magic in a different setting but I don’t see it. Bellbrook, Monroe, Ross, Edgewood, and Franklin would all be more than competitive in all sports. Enrollment is an issue on paper but they wouldn’t own the SWBL.

Oak Hills lost 14-6 to Coldwater and lost to Middletown by 10, the middies didn’t play Coldwater. The last team Middletown had that would have won the SWBL is 2015. Since then they are 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 1-9, 1-6, 1-8. 3 wins against Western Hills, 2 against Oak Hills, and 1 against Walnut Hills. Maybe they find there magic in a different setting but I don’t see it. Bellbrook, Monroe, Ross, Edgewood, and Franklin would all be more than competitive in all sports. Enrollment is an issue on paper but they wouldn’t own the SWBL.
Oak hills played Coldwater, you’re thinking the competition that Middletown plays is on par with the SWBL? No. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Middletown football has struggled mightily over the past 8-10 years. I don't know that they will ever compete in the GMC again in fb, time will tell. However I don't see the SWBL as a good fit either.

I know many Middies whose egos will never allow them to conceive the thought of leaving the GMC no matter how bad it gets for them. They are one of the founding members after all ?‍♂️

I get what you're saying, but what Middletown lacks in DI and the GMC is size up front. They still have the athletes. They have a DI recruit starting at RB this season and a young QB that will likely go DI as an athlete. DI players in the SWBL are few and far between. The size issue would be diminished in the SWBL. You drop them in the SWBL and while I doubt they would win it every year they would be near the top and in contention more often the not. Football, basketball, track, cross country and soccer (occasionally), I think the Middies would be favorites most years. Hell, some people are saying they are an upper tier team in basketball in the GMC this upcoming season. Most other sports though, I would say you are correct.

With that being said, the Middies are not leaving the GMC anytime soon and if and when they do, it won't be for the SWBL.

Middletown football has struggled mightily over the past 8-10 years. I don't know that they will ever compete in the GMC again in fb, time will tell. However I don't see the SWBL as a good fit either.

I know many Middies whose egos will never allow them to conceive the thought of leaving the GMC no matter how bad it gets for them. They are one of the founding members after all ?‍♂️
I agree with you that ego is the main reason Middletown isn’t in the GWOC already. Bigger side of SWBL is turning into D2, D3 league so it’s not too crazy. But if their ego doesn’t let them leave for the GWOC, they certainly won’t go to the SWBL.

I get what you're saying, but what Middletown lacks in DI and the GMC is size up front. They still have the athletes. They have a DI recruit starting at RB this season and a young QB that will likely go DI as an athlete. DI players in the SWBL are few and far between. The size issue would be diminished in the SWBL. You drop them in the SWBL and while I doubt they would win it every year they would be near the top and in contention more often the not. Football, basketball, track, cross country and soccer (occasionally), I think the Middies would be favorites most years. Hell, some people are saying they are an upper tier team in basketball in the GMC this upcoming season. Most other sports though, I would say you are correct.

With that being said, the Middies are not leaving the GMC anytime soon and if and when they do, it won't be for the SWBL.
Agree with a lot of what you said here. I think the Middies would never consider the SWBL but it’s there best option if they had it.

Anyone here about numbers in Swbl? Seems to be a topic in a lot of other conferences. Sounds like in general football numbers are down as a whole. I’m hearing Carlisle sits at 38 kids and Madison sits at 36 kids. Freshman-Seniors.

That seems to be the typical number going across d4-5-6. Milton, just speaking about what I know, has 46, 9-12 grade with 18 seniors. Pickins are slim there too. MAC schools typically get mid 60s to mid 80s from what I’m told.

That’s good news. I hope to see him play more defense this year. He was an absolute problem in that Alter game.
From what I hear, he is in the rotation at OLB but they are pretty deep at that position. He's going to take a beating on offense, long term not sure how much having him play defense helps them.

From what I hear, he is in the rotation at OLB but they are pretty deep at that position. He's going to take a beating on offense, long term not sure how much having him play defense helps them.
Only watched one game in person last year, a few others that I found a stream. As good as he is at Fullback he might be a better defensive player. Maybe it’s something the get him some reps here and there and maybe have him play more both ways in big games. Just a quick glance at the schedule I could see anywhere from 6-4 to 10-0. Ross, @WB, @Bellbrook, and Eaton are potential losses.

Only watched one game in person last year, a few others that I found a stream. As good as he is at Fullback he might be a better defensive player. Maybe it’s something the get him some reps here and there and maybe have him play more both ways in big games. Just a quick glance at the schedule I could see anywhere from 6-4 to 10-0. Ross, @WB, @Bellbrook, and Eaton are potential losses.
I think the question mark for them right now is offensive line. If they can piece together a solid line, I personally think they are the team to beat in the SWBL this year. Mullins is doing a great job IMO of building the program and if he hangs around I see them being a force in the league for years to come. I think they beat Ross this year and I think the loss of the Borandy (Sp?) kid at Bellbrook is going to hurt a lot more than some folks think. You don't just replace a guy like that with the level of production he had. Monroe will be a lot smaller up front this year, but if they can create creases they have multiple guys that can tote the rock and pick up yards.

I think the question mark for them right now is offensive line. If they can piece together a solid line, I personally think they are the team to beat in the SWBL this year. Mullins is doing a great job IMO of building the program and if he hangs around I see them being a force in the league for years to come. I think they beat Ross this year and I think the loss of the Borandy (Sp?) kid at Bellbrook is going to hurt a lot more than some folks think. You don't just replace a guy like that with the level of production he had. Monroe will be a lot smaller up front this year, but if they can create creases they have multiple guys that can tote the rock and pick up yards.
I agree that Monroe is the team to beat. Besides Borondy Bellbrook had a large senior class. They will be good but should come back to the back compared to the last 2 seasons.

Who scrimmages who tomorrow?
Franklin was at Bishop- Hartley yesterday in a 4 team Scrimmage. Westerville ,Mount Vernon were the other 2.D-1 Westerville impressive as was Hartley. Franklins' D looked as good if not better than last year. Franklin will hit you! 3 linebackers over 200 lbs and 3 returning D-backs. O line good size but green. Jamboree game at Franklin this Friday 12th against a LOADED Miamisburg team.