WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner arrested in Russia on drug charges

They had a guy on CNN a few minutes ago and basically said that everything in this case has been pretty standard for Russia. Also said that what is making this a bigger case and allowing Russia to be in the driver's seat for prisoner swaps is the attention that the American press has given this story.

The reporters seemed very surprised as they thought it was a direct attempt by the Russians to "get" a famous American.
You don't think the Russians are pleased that they "got" a famous American?

Not pure fabrication, but definitely exaggerated. 1,974 inmates for marijuana and hashish.
Probably just got confused with a bunch of extra zeros and some commas...

Biggest lie in criminal law...that prisons are (or were ever) filled with marijuana possession convicts.

You don't think the Russians are pleased that they "got" a famous American?
I think they are pleased how we made her so famous since her arrest.

Maybe the Russians are smarter than I'm giving them credit for but I would put her as a very low level famous person in our country. I don't think they had any idea that we would make her a household name.

Waiting for another shoe to drop - WNBA and Russia will announce this was a planned publicity stunt to increase WNBA attendance and raise awareness. Genius marketing.

Maybe the Russians are smarter than I'm giving them credit for but I would put her as a very low level famous person in our country. I don't think they had any idea that we would make her a household name.
I mean she’s one of the top female basketball players in the world so she’s been pretty famous for awhile. Don’t act like you didn’t know who she was. Wonder what the response would be if she were a straight white woman who loved her Guns and Trump

I mean she’s one of the top female basketball players in the world so she’s been pretty famous for awhile. Don’t act like you didn’t know who she was. Wonder what the response would be if she were a straight white woman who loved her Guns and Trump
Unfortunately, women's basketball is still very far down the list of popular sports. Women's golf and tennis are far more popular and players are more recognizable but most people would struggle to name 5 players from women's sports overall...especially in a year where the Olympics are not being played.

If she were a straight white woman who "accidentally" took her gun to a country with strict gun laws and faced the same level of charges, I'm guessing the conservatives would have said she should have known better and the liberals would be saying she deserved it.

I had heard the name. Was she the one involved in the "nappy hair" comment 10 years back or so?

Didn't know she identified as a dude, and swings toward women.

I had heard the name. Was she the one involved in the "nappy hair" comment 10 years back or so?

I don't think so - Imus' comments were about the Rutgers team, and Ms. Griner went to Baylor.

But yeah, she does swing toward women, and pretty lustily at that!

Last edited:
1659695254503.png

I think Don Imus' comments were about the Rutgers team. Ms. Griner went to Baylor.

But yeah, she does swing toward women, and pretty lustily at that.

I have never watched a wnba game, but Grindr should have been suspended for the rest of the season if you ask me.
She’s a dirty player that needs to stay where she is and think about what’s she’s done.
If she ever gets back, will she still kneel when our National anthem is playing?

My wife and daughter have no clue who she is.

No one knew who Brit was before she went to Russia.. Not even feminist watch wnba games. It‘s a joke league that is propped up by NBA. If the NBA pulled their money tomorrow the league folds

When I first heard of Brit, I knew what she was before I even saw a picture of her.
Ugly — check
Lesbian — check
tattoos — check
entitled — check

This is what you get when women act like men.

Question. Does she kneel when the National Anthem is played?

Wasn't the nappy hair a comment by Howard Stern and the Rutgers women's basketball team?

It seems like for many the only time women's sports are talked about is when there is off court controversy of some kind. Hope Solo, the women's US Soccer team, Megan Rapinoe, the gymnastics girl that wet the bed, the tennis girl that can't take the pressure.

Title IX has been around for 50 years and yet there is still an underlying mindset in the US that women's sports just aren't interesting. This doesn't seem to matter for most men's sports where females are huge fans of many men's sports.

This just supports the thought that you can't force acceptance.

I never heard of her until she got arrested. Apparently she isn't real bright. Maybe she should have hired someone to pack her bags for her?‍♂️

How many on here do you think watch women pro basketball? I have never watched a game and never plan to watch a game.

I never heard of her until she got arrested. Apparently she isn't real bright. Maybe she should have hired someone to pack her bags for her?‍♂️
First time I heard or, or saw, her was I think at the ESPYs. I was like 'who is that tall dude standing next to RGIII' during some interview outside.
Looked like a dude.
Dressed like a dude.
Sounded like a dude.

and when they said the name.....it wasnt a dude.

WNBA players fight inequality of pay all the time, no way she has enough money to hire an assistant.

How many on here do you think watch women pro basketball? I have never watched a game and never plan to watch a game.
In fairness, you don't have to have watched or watch women's basketball to have heard of her. She was only the second female college player to dunk a basketball in a game. Anyone who even paid cursory attention to ESPN during her time at Baylor would likely know who she is. They talked about it ad nauseam. ?‍♂️

In fairness, you don't have to have watched or watch women's basketball to have heard of her. She was only the second female college player to dunk a basketball in a game. Anyone who even paid cursory attention to ESPN during her time at Baylor would likely know who she is. They talked about it ad nauseam. ?‍♂️
Sure, most have probably heard the name, very few have ever watched her play-including me, have no idea how many titles or MVPs she’s won. You’re correct, most of us only knew her name from her tremendous accomplishment of being 6’9” and dunking a basketball, HUUUUGE accomplishment.