2022 Akron City Series

Not once the facts come out.
Well, here are the pertinent facts when it comes to schools…

Coach took his kids on a field trip…he left the kids…one of the kids, tragically, perished. Parents left their child in the care of an APS staff member who wasn’t present when the tragedy occurred.

I can’t imagine what the district can argue to exonerate culpability.

Well, here are the pertinent facts when it comes to schools…

Coach took his kids on a field trip…he left the kids…one of the kids, tragically, perished. Parents left their child in the care of an APS staff member who wasn’t present when the tragedy occurred.

I can’t imagine what the district can argue to exonerate culpability.
Did he leave them alone or with other coaches?

I went to both games in 87' and 88'. Great games! I remember Buchtel had maybe a thousand fans, while Steubenville had thousands of fans! It was like David vs. Goliath! Yett vs. Powers.
But was the famous " cat in the hat" Griff fan there??

Nice article on the Akron North High School Vikings recently in the Akron Beacon Journal. Although the school is one of if not the fastest growing of all Akron Public schools and will probably not get a new building, these kids and staff deserve credit. Many are immigrants from Nepal and other Asian countries who know nothing much about American football. Best of luck to them and may they experience a win or 2 this year!

Nice article on the Akron North High School Vikings recently in the Akron Beacon Journal. Although the school is one of if not the fastest growing of all Akron Public schools and will probably not get a new building, these kids and staff deserve credit.
And this, right here, is all you need to know about APS.

And I don't know why schedules continue to show Kenmore-Garfield when the school is now only called Akron Garfield Community Learning Center...

New era, new helmet. No more 'wings'.

Attachments

• 20220803_140222.jpg
    20220803_140222.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 15
Because that is the name of the school
No I'm sorry you a wrong. Starting this school year the name for the new building in Firestone Park is again Akron Garfield Community Learning Center. Call the Akron Board of Education if you don't believe me. The sign on the new building says GARFIELD COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTER. With the metal engraving ram beside it. I.drive by it daily.

No I'm sorry you a wrong. Starting this school year the name for the new building in Firestone Park is again Akron Garfield Community Learning Center. Call the Akron Board of Education if you don't believe me. The sign on the new building says GARFIELD COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTER. With the metal engraving ram beside it. I.drive by it daily.
Sorry my guy I read your post wrong, thought you were asking why you’re seeing Akron Garfield instead of Kenmore-Garfield.

Regarding Garfield's new building, I just cannot understand, logically, why they could not get a 100 yard football field on that piece of land. They have so many little islands in the parking lot, they could have eliminated them, had just as much parking as they do, and had the rooms to make it a real field. Once again, APS just being stupid, CHEAP and not caring about athletics at all.

As for the Ellet situation with the young man that died, horrific tragedy that IMHO, falls on the coach. According to the parents, said they knew nothing about this trip and they never signed anything for him to go; he left to go get a grill: why not get the grill there ahead of time, you knew this was going on and need to prepare accordingly; from what I have heard, there were only 2 chaperones for the kids, which really is not a lot for 20+ kids, even though the lifeguards didn't seem to be paying attention to anything either.

SAD all the way around.

Correct and Akron Garfield had a practice field on Brown St. at the old school. Now a measly maybe 50 yard field with a huge net behind goal post..unbelievable. Babe Flossie is turning over in his grave!!

How did the first scrimmages go this past wekend? HEard Ellet scrimmaged Norton, any word on how that went? What about East, Buchtel and the rest?

North Vikings Preview (Courtesy of ABJ)

Coach
: Doug Miller, first season at North

Coach's record: 0-0

2021 records: 0-10 overall, 0-5 in the City Series

Top returning players: Elijah Gervins, Jr., OLB-RB; Zi'Velle Thomas, Soph., OLB-WR; Izyck Clark, Soph., OL-DL; Marsean Barkley, Sr., DB-WR; Marvin Causey, Soph., WR-DB; Darrin Jenkins, Sr., WR-DB; Pradesh Mangar, Jr., OL-LB; Tyreon Jones, Soph., DL; Jamere Garrett, Soph., QB-LB; Demiere Kelly, Sr., WR-DB; Jayden Echols, Soph., OL-ILB.

Outlook: Miller, 35, is entering his first season as a coach after being as assistant coach the past three seasons at Kenmore-Garfield with coach Kemp Boyd. Miller worked as an offensive line coach and Co-Offensive Coordinator at K-G. Miller grew up in Texas and moved to Ohio with his family while he was in middle school. Miller graduated from Stow-Munroe Falls in 2005 after competing in track and field and football. He was in the Navy for four years and was a Master-at-Arms and earned a college degree from Miami of Ohio in 2012.

North is trying to field a larger team this season after finishing last season with between 15 to 20 players. The team is between 25 to 30 players as of late July.

"We are still very young, but a lot of our young guys have experience at the varsity level due to the size of our team," Miller said. "The biggest change is at our QB position with Jamere Garrett, a sophomore, returning, though he was at a different position last year, and newcomer Shymire Jones, a freshman. They have many of the skills needed to compete at the position and are making it a great competition. They work well together and support each through the highs and lows of the position. Their sportsmanship with each other has begun to trickle down to our other position in a very positive way.

"Our players have worked very hard in the month of July to pick up new systems on both offense and defense. We still have some fine tuning to do before we can compete at the level we all expect of ourselves in Weeks 1 through 10. I am confident we will get there as a team over the next three weeks and start our season off strong."