Are you a true West Sider??

Yeah, tearing down an old, decaying building that has been sitting vacant for many years so that a community center could be built to benefit underserved kids in the area, that is just terrible. ?

I'm all for preserving old historical buildings. What Price Hill Will did with the Masonic Lodge and countless other buildings in PH is incredible. But this place has been sitting vacant for years and years and there's been very little interest in doing anything with it other than "saving the historical building." What then? Preserve it as a landmark where it will continue to decay and be an eyesore?

Beauty is in the eye of ther beholder I guess, but the building is ugly imo. Simply being old does not necessarily make a building "historic". This funeral home is not the same as the Gamble House, which actually had historical value.
Perfectly said. That building was really ugly and had no value.

Yeah, tearing down an old, decaying building that has been sitting vacant for many years so that a community center could be built to benefit underserved kids in the area, that is just terrible. ?

I'm all for preserving old historical buildings. What Price Hill Will did with the Masonic Lodge and countless other buildings in PH is incredible. But this place has been sitting vacant for years and years and there's been very little interest in doing anything with it other than "saving the historical building." What then? Preserve it as a landmark where it will continue to decay and be an eyesore?

Beauty is in the eye of ther beholder I guess, but the building is ugly imo. Simply being old does not necessarily make a building "historic". This funeral home is not the same as the Gamble House, which actually had historical value.
Definitely well said.
Mojo, how is a place doing a lot of good for a community but sucky neighbors as you say? You their neighbor? You bash Pete Witte every chance you get but his business is actually one of their neighbors. Please give an example of being good for the community but a sucky neighbor in the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was ugly. And, as stated in the committee report, it was terribly decayed, had no historic value and had been stripped of any redeeming characteristics. It had been available for at least 11 years with no interest. Good riddance.
There were reports to the contrary by qualified experts. This would not have happened on the East side where historical buildings are appreciated and the character of the neighborhoods benefit from them continuing to be there. I guess you felt that way about Carson school being torn down as well and replaced by that ugly warehouse of a building we have now, while other neighborhoods had their schools improved and expanded while maintaining the historic "Collegiate Gothic" character.

Also, there was never a realtor's sign in front of that building until the deal was done and Radel listed it as an operating facility for his business until the deal was done. There was no indication that the property was for sale and when the community found out an alternative purchaser was located that would make Radel whole and viable alternative were located to meet the needs of the B&G Club.

Last edited:
Reading several different social media posts about the demolition, the overwhelming number of comments were not in support of the tear down. Several reported they were broken hearted to see it torn down. Most said what a shame. I'm kind of indifferent myself, but search on social media and you will see the comments where the majority of people were not in favor of this. I assume most are residents of Price Hill, former residents, or live on the "west side".

This would not have happened on the East side where historical buildings are appreciated and the character of the neighborhoods benefit from them continuing to be there.
This isn't accurate at all. The east side has had many old buildings torn down for ultra modern looking ones. Especially in the Hyde Park and Mount Lookout areas.

There were reports to the contrary by qualified experts. This would not have happened on the East side where historical buildings are appreciated and the character of the neighborhoods benefit from them continuing to be there. I guess you felt that way about Carson school being torn down as well and replaced by that ugly warehouse of a building we have now, while other neighborhoods had their schools improved and expanded while maintaining the historic "Collegiate Gothic" character.

Also, there was never a realtor's sign in front of that building until the deal was done and Radel listed it as an operating facility for his business until the deal was done. There was no indication that the property was for sale and when the community found out an alternative purchaser was located that would make Radel whole and viable alternative were located to meet the needs of the B&G Club.
The new Carson school is one of the worst buildings I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t mean I like the old funeral building. Everyone knew that building was vacant for years. If someone had a viable use for it they could have easily found out if it was available. Where are all the second-guessers before demolition is announced? Are they looking for other properties to rehab or will they wait until someone else has a plan and try to stop them?

A bummer to see it go. If I had the funds, I would have liked to taken followed in his footsteps. It’s been a dream to own a winery/wine bar. The flip side, excited to see some more nicer restaurants open up in Westwood!

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.36.24 AM.png

I noticed this yesterday. was on glenway by western bowl etc.. my Kroger on North Bend is 3.99. ridiculous

View attachment 32145
I noticed this yesterday. was on glenway by western bowl etc.. my Kroger on North Bend is 3.99. ridiculous
I watched that story this morning. They interviewed people filling up at those Delhi stations while complaining about getting ripped off. Those stations are getting away with it because the people are too lazy to go elsewhere. Unreal.

I watched that story this morning. They interviewed people filling up at those Delhi stations while complaining about getting ripped off. Those stations are getting away with it because the people are too lazy to go elsewhere. Unreal.
When my car gets to half a tank I look at GasBuddy and I have a rough idea of what parts of the city I will be driving in. I fill up a the cheapest one I can find in area I will be in. Wilder, KY has it for 3.77 right now.

Most Delhesians drive trucks and cars that average 20 mpg. They are not stupid. If they have to drive a 20 mile round trip to pay $3.99 and save $.50 cents a gallon and all they can afford is 4 gallons they realize they have just lost around $1.99.

Most Delhesians drive trucks and cars that average 20 mpg. They are not stupid. If they have to drive a 20 mile round trip to pay $3.99 and save $.50 cents a gallon and all they can afford is 4 gallons they realize they have just lost around $1.99.
It wouldn’t take a 20 mile round trip. ? Most Delhisians don’t work in Delhi and most leave Delhi quite often for shopping.

Awesome to see it was bought by another westside restaurateur.
For those who do not know, the new owners are Jordanian, not Greek. Not that that should make a difference. His and Alex's family worship together at Holy Trinity-St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Finnytown. The new owners are also part of the family that the former mayor, Cranley, married into.

I am very glad that Alex will be able to retire and we can still get the best gyros in town on the westside.

The new Carson school is one of the worst buildings I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t mean I like the old funeral building. Everyone knew that building was vacant for years. If someone had a viable use for it they could have easily found out if it was available. Where are all the second-guessers before demolition is announced? Are they looking for other properties to rehab or will they wait until someone else has a plan and try to stop them?

It was not "vacant" and it was listed as an active facility on the Radel Funeral Home website until after the sale was announced, You are just plain wrong. I checked the site myself when the news broke. There was no indication that the building was not being used by Radel, nor that it was available for sale. Those are the facts based on Radel's public profile itself until after the sale was announced. As I said, you are just plane wrong.

It is my understanding that the group (highly qualified) that reported on the historical and architectural significance of the Schlutte mansion has assisted Price Hill Will in making a list of other properties which are significant and may be at risk, with the hope that they can stay ahead of the wrecking ball. One building that has always intrigued me is the old Kries Mansion near the corner of Rapid Run and and Glenway. Unfortunately, it is surrounded by a pretty decent large house built in front of it on Glenway some time in the 1920's and a crappy abandoned apartment building attached to it facing Rapid Run. Yes, there is a decaying grand old Victorian mansion behind the blight of that apartment building.

Definitely well said.
Mojo, how is a place doing a lot of good for a community but sucky neighbors as you say? You their neighbor? You bash Pete Witte every chance you get but his business is actually one of their neighbors. Please give an example of being good for the community but a sucky neighbor in the community.

I am in fact a neighbor. I am a resident and business owner in the neighborhood, like many others. For those outside the City, the various community councils are quasi-governmental and are chartered by the City. They have the legal right to get advanced notice of any zoning changes and of any plans for governmental or community service type development in their respective neighborhoods and to have some voice into whether or not those projects should be approved and how they may be executed. The B & G's Club, it is my understanding, left the West Price Hill Community Council in the dark during the planning for their existing building and did the same, and I believe still are, in the planning for the new building. They froze the community council out of the process and bullied them and whenever anyone spoke up they tried to paint them as white, middle class, suburban, elitists who were just hostile to serving poor families. They did that again during the entire challenge to the recent purchase, even though nothing could be further from the truth and every other option offered to them included their plan for an expansion in that very neighborhood.

Yeah, lying about your neighbors, ignoring or barring the participation of the City chartered community council, ignoring the concerns of their neighbors, all makes for being a "bad neighbor". The B & G's Club has been a bad neighbor. Hopefully, they will do better in the future.

As far as "bash[ing] Pete Witte" is concerned, I do not know Pete personally. I think he is a St. William parishioner. I do know people who do know him and they have no personal issue with him, or as a businessman. I have been told that he was the community council president when the monstrosity that is the new Carson school was planned and built and he was the president during the initial planning for the B & G's Club's move to Glenway. Finally, I heard him argue that the historic buildings across from Elder, that are in the process of being converted to a restaurant and brew pub, were not worth saving. Taken together, one can logically conclude that Pete is opposed to historic preservation and West Price Hill and the whole westside has suffered as a result.

Last edited:
It was not "vacant" and it was listed as an active facility on the Radel Funeral Home website until after the sale was announced, You are just plain wrong. I checked the site myself when the news broke. There was no indication that the building was not being used by Radel, nor that it was available for sale. Those are the facts based on Radel's public profile itself until after the sale was announced. As I said, you are just plane wrong.

It is my understanding that the group (highly qualified) that reported on the historical and architectural significance of the Schlutte mansion has assisted Price Hill Will in making a list of other properties which are significant and may be at risk, with the hope that they can stay ahead of the wrecking ball. One building that has always intrigued me is the old Kries Mansion near the corner of Rapid Run and and Glenway. Unfortunately, it is surrounded by a pretty decent large house built in front of it on Glenway some time in the 1920's and a crappy abandoned apartment building attached to it facing Rapid Run. Yes, there is a decaying grand old Victorian mansion behind the blight of that apartment building.
All I know is what I read. Your take is obviously different than the CEO of Boys Club:

“Bill Bresser, CEO of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati, said if the organization purchased the land on which Schulte Mansion stood, the building would not be spared.

“The plan would be to demolish the building. The building as it is would be really expensive to renovate. It’s in a state of considerable disrepair… it’s been on the market for over 11 years. It’s been vacant for at least two,” said Bresser in December 2021.”

The Price Hill Thanksgiving Day Parade has announced it will not continue. The committee is retiring after a 30 year run. They could not find volunteers to replace them. They also mentioned violence and political dissent as a reason to not continue, a little overdramatic to say that if you ask me. The lack of volunteers to plan is understandable.

The Price Hill Thanksgiving Day Parade has announced it will not continue. The committee is retiring after a 30 year run. They could not find volunteers to replace them. They also mentioned violence and political dissent as a reason to not continue, a little overdramatic to say that if you ask me. The lack of volunteers to plan is
Sad news for a 70 year tradition.

All I know is what I read. Your take is obviously different than the CEO of Boys Club:

“Bill Bresser, CEO of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Cincinnati, said if the organization purchased the land on which Schulte Mansion stood, the building would not be spared.

“The plan would be to demolish the building. The building as it is would be really expensive to renovate. It’s in a state of considerable disrepair… it’s been on the market for over 11 years. It’s been vacant for at least two,” said Bresser in December 2021.”
He is a liar and has lied repeatedly though out the whole process. They have so much good will for the work they do, no politician or other public official would call them on it.

The work they do is good, is important and is welcomed by the people of West Price Hill. His lies, his bullying and his insults are not.

Last edited:
The Price Hill Thanksgiving Day Parade has announced it will not continue. The committee is retiring after a 30 year run. They could not find volunteers to replace them. They also mentioned violence and political dissent as a reason to not continue, a little overdramatic to say that if you ask me. The lack of volunteers to plan is understandable.
Be a good place for some Elder Faculty,Students and Parents to step up and keep this Community Parade going.

Hope you're right but, at least where I am, finding volunteers for anything is harder and harder.
They sure are difficult to find. Now, many people claim this is laziness or that people just don't care anymore. It has more to do with the ridiculous demands most jobs have these days. People are still working even when they are off of work..... Phone calls, emails, "homework." I know my parents cannot fathom how all 4 of their kids have jobs that fit into that description. This seems to be more white collar type jobs that our oarents really pushed our generation towards because those were "good jobs" (not all obviously). There is also a huge number of people doing side hustles.

People simply don't have the free time they once did.

Noticed some work being done on the façade of the former Western Hills Best Buy.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpeg
    IMG_6963.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 15