2022 Elder Football

80% of St. Edward's students count for CB. 63% of St. X's students. 11% of St. Ignatius. 26% at Moeller. Elder is 15%.
Doesn’t it seem that Competitive Balance encourages schools to recruit outside of their feeder districts. How is this a good thing.

Good, that means Elder can stay D1. It’s what everyone involved wants, so what’s the issue?

It's just an observation, but the disparity in some are obvious. Elder is still in D1 so that is all that matters.

This is just my opinion, but Elder football would not have the same feeling if they were ever to fall into D2.

Doesn’t it seem that Competitive Balance encourages schools to recruit outside of their feeder districts. How is this a good thing.
Hmm - I would ask the opposite - how is this a bad thing?

Yes, the feeders are the foundation, but bringing in kids of different walks of life seems like a positive, no? Seems to be working for alot of schools. Seems to be necessary also.

It's just an observation, but the disparity in some are obvious. Elder is still in D1 so that is all that matters.
Would anyone complain if La Salle reported another 100-ish for the competitive balance number and moved back to D1? They'd still be at a lower percentage of their overall enrollment than St. X or St. Edward.

The Archdiocese got rid of the feeder districts years ago. Everyone recruits outside of their feeders. They are asking for a death wish if they are not.
I agree with the death wish thing. But why have some abstract thing called Competitive Balance based on how well you recruit. This seems unfair to a school like Elder. Elder seems to want to cap their enrollment at 840. So if they get 840 kids ( I know this is impossible) from their “district” then their Competitive Balance is zero. They need a better system. Based on this LaSalle will fall to D3 soon. I just think they are rewarding the recruiting machines.
so based on this Elder has to limit their Feeder students to 700 and recruit 140 outsiders to maintain a Competitive Balance of 16.6%.
This whole thing is insane

I agree with the death wish thing. But why have some abstract thing called Competitive Balance based on how well you recruit. This seems unfair to a school like Elder. Elder seems to want to cap their enrollment at 840. So if they get 840 kids ( I know this is impossible) from their “district” then their Competitive Balance is zero. They need a better system. Based on this LaSalle will fall to D3 soon. I just think they are rewarding the recruiting machines.
so based on this Elder has to limit their Feeder students to 700 and recruit 140 outsiders to maintain a Competitive Balance of 16.6%.
The way the OHSAA counts "outsiders" doesn't match the number of students that aren't from what Elder fans would consider "traditional feeder schools." If Elder wanted to, they could count every kid who doesn't live in CPS (probably > 90% of the student body) as outsiders for competitive balance. As far as competitive balance goes, Elder doesn't need to do anything differently than they're doing now. Overall, Elder needs to continue making strides to cast a wider net in recruiting students.

Schools have 2 different options for counting their competitive balance number. For those that don't know, the competitive balance number is those students enrolled at your school from OUTSIDE your designated feeder schools.

Elder has 3 options for choosing their designated feeder schools and counting their competitive balance numbers. I have no idea which one they choose.

OPTION 1 (Elder can select their designated feeder school district as set forth by the OHSAA. The two obvious ones Elder would choose would be ONE of these 2)

Oak Hills Local
Our Lady of Victory
Our Lady of Visitation
St. Aloysius Gonzaga
St. Dominic
St. Jude

OR

*Cincinnati City- West Attendance Zone
Holy Family
Our Lady Of Lourdes
Resurrection
St. Aloysius On-The-Ohio
St. Antoninus
St. Catharine Of Siena
St. Joseph
St. Lawrence
St. Martin Of Tours
St. Teresa Of Avila
St. William

If you haven't been lost yet, see the 2nd option below that Elder can choose for counting their competitive balance number.

OPTION 2
Any school within 12.5 mile radius of Elder.

The way the OHSAA counts "outsiders" doesn't match the number of students that aren't from what Elder fans would consider "traditional feeder schools." If Elder wanted to, they could count every kid who doesn't live in CPS (probably > 90% of the student body) as outsiders for competitive balance. As far as competitive balance goes, Elder doesn't need to do anything differently than they're doing now. Overall, Elder needs to continue making strides to cast a wider net in recruiting students.

I believe that number only includes grades 9-11 from the previous year, so it does not include incoming freshmen.

Still, compared to other D1, that's really low.

I failed to note that the boost is supposed to be sport specific. The way I understood this is for football, you only count non-feeder kids actually on the football roster(not necessarily the whole school), and it's supposed to only be grades 10 through 12 on ANY football roster (JV or Varsity).

Initial Enrollment Count (from EMIS ‐ all students in
grades 9 through 11 in a school)
+  Additional Roster Count (the students on a respective team, which is determined by multiplying each student on the Initial Roster Count by either Tier 0, Tier 1 or Tier 2 Sport Specific Factor {which is explained below} and adding them together)
= Adjusted Enrollment Count (count used for tourna‐
ment division placement; calculated by the OHSAA
office)

It depends what a school considers a reward. The competitive balance was put in place to help "even the playing field" so to speak. For example, this is preventing Elder from playing in the Division 2 tournament. Public schools like Ross and Harrison I am sure applaud this and would prefer to see Elder stay in Division 1.

I would guess nearly 100% of Elder fans would prefer Elder to stay in Division 1 also, so I think most us Elder fans applaud this also. There may be some schools(not naming names) who would prefer a lower division to have a better chance at a state title or going farther in the playoffs.

I failed to note that the boost is supposed to be sport specific. The way I understood this is for football, you only count non-feeder kids actually on the football roster(not necessarily the whole school), and it's supposed to only be grades 10 through 12 on ANY football roster (JV or Varsity).

Initial Enrollment Count (from EMIS ‐ all students in
grades 9 through 11 in a school)
+  Additional Roster Count (the students on a respective team, which is determined by multiplying each student on the Initial Roster Count by either Tier 0, Tier 1 or Tier 2 Sport Specific Factor {which is explained below} and adding them together)
= Adjusted Enrollment Count (count used for tourna‐
ment division placement; calculated by the OHSAA
office)
Thanks. I feel better. Rant over.

This is just my opinion, but Elder football would not have the same feeling if they were ever to fall into D2.
Absolutely not. They’d still play the same schedule, but playoff matchups would suck. And as I’ve said before, the top 4 in D2 of LS, WW, Massillon, and Hoban can easily compete with and beat the Top 4 in D1 any year. However, after them, it’s a gigantic drop off. Nobody wants to play Edgewood or Harrison in the playoffs.

Absolutely not. They’d still play the same schedule, but playoff matchups would suck. And as I’ve said before, the top 4 in D2 of LS, WW, Massillon, and Hoban can easily compete with and beat the Top 4 in D1 any year. However, after them, it’s a gigantic drop off. Nobody wants to play Edgewood or Harrison in the playoffs.
The OHSAA needs to expand the size of D1 to get some of those schools (back) into the top tier. Winton Woods was only about 20 students away from being D1 this year anyway. They’d be a formidable opponent for anyone in R4.

Last edited:
The OHSAA needs to expand the size of D1 to get some of those schools (back) into the top tier. Winston Woods was only about 20 students away from being D1 this year anyway. They’d be a formidable opponent for anyone in R4.
Eliminating some divisions would help. 7 division is too many. Honestly 4 divisions would be fantastic, but even 5 would be better than the 6 or 7 divisions they've had.

Is Browne playing this year? To be clear, I haven’t heard anything, not trying to start a rumor. I’m always curious if a multi sport athlete is going to play when he gets D1 interests from other sports.

Is Browne playing this year? To be clear, I haven’t heard anything, not trying to start a rumor. I’m always curious if a multi sport athlete is going to play when he gets D1 interests from other sports.
I would be absolutely shocked if he isn't playing.

Brownie is playing as far as I've heard. You asked about Cam Williams? I heard he is out and going to concentrate on hoops.

Rueter is the leading candidate heading into camp as QB from what I've heard.

Brownie is playing as far as I've heard. You asked about Cam Williams? I heard he is out and going to concentrate on hoops.

Rueter is the leading candidate heading into camp as QB from what I've heard.
I can’t blame Williams for focusing on bball, but Corner worries me a lot. I think the youngest Summers can play one of the Corners but after him, it’s dicey. They have really solid depth at Safety, but that’s not an easy position change to make.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any Ohio or KY/IN HS preview articles yet? It may be too soon.

Curious if the big boys (Eds, PC) have re-loaded, what the KY and IN power teams (Trinity, LSX, Cathedral, Chatard, etc) have his year, and who's the team that will surprise people. Here's how I see the GCL:

Moe
X
Elder
LaSalle

Curious if the big boys (Eds, PC) have re-loaded, what the KY and IN power teams (Trinity, LSX, Cathedral, Chatard, etc) have his year, and who's the team that will surprise people. Here's how I see the GCL:

Moe
X
Elder
LaSalle

I think Elder beats X this year. Moe should be in driver seat, but their QB got kicked out of school. Elder not knowing who QB will be entering the season has me not ready to say Elder is the favorite.

I think GCL is a toss up until we know who emerges as starting QB at each school and how well they are doing.

Moeller is pretty loaded but new QB, Elder has a lot of talent but new QB, X has some talent but new QB.

I know Moe and X are loaded with college talent. I know that means nothing when the lights come on.

I've heard Elder was down, but it seems like the true reality is that they're more unknown and have kids that are probably hungry to prove themselves. I just don't know that they have the depth of size and speed as Moe and X, even with the QB uncertainty.

I was looking as top recruits in Ohio in the junior and senior class, and I noticed several names from Moe, PC, and Eds - saw a few giants on the OL in some of these places.

Moe
X
Elder
LaSalle
I think Moe is the heavy favorite, after that it’s a tossup bw the other 3 in any order.

Last edited:
I think Elder beats X this year. Moe should be in driver seat, but their QB got kicked out of school. Elder not knowing who QB will be entering the season has me not ready to say Elder is the favorite.

I think GCL is a toss up until we know who emerges as starting QB at each school and how well they are doing.

Moeller is pretty loaded but new QB, Elder has a lot of talent but new QB, X has some talent but new QB.
That’s where Elder needs improved play from the Secondary. 3 of the last 4 games vs X, they’ve gotten torched. I know they had some massive injuries in that Secondary to end last year, but the level of play needs to be raised and I just don’t know if they have the personnel to do it.

Moe
X
Elder
LaSalle
I typically go here https://tristatefootball.com/ But right now they have just put out back burner teams. Moroe and Rushville aren't known for football.

Moe
X
Elder
LaSalle
This makes me laugh. Its wide open at the top, but LaSalle is definitely last

Moeller is going to be loaded with talent and speed for the next 2-3 years. IMHO coaching could be the weakness at Moe that gives St X and Elder a chance. Their coaches aren’t horrible but they are a step or two below both St X and Elder. But again that’s just my opinion.